• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I do admit that a watch without numbers on the face is of no value to me. I'm far too lazy to become proficient.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Sometimes it seems kind of funny to me that people will buy a mechanical luxury watch that will never tell time as well as a $40 Timex.

GUEST_d0e06026-5fba-4876-ad9d-f692bd7b6327

Expensive watches are kind of Micky Mouse to me.

Attachments

• MM.jpg
      MM.jpg
      23.9 KB · Views: 171

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’ll have a breitling super ocean or exospace one day.

Attachments

• 5F5B16BB-2422-47F9-915A-220404E32814.jpg
      5F5B16BB-2422-47F9-915A-220404E32814.jpg
      91.2 KB · Views: 174

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Sometimes it seems kind of funny to me that people will buy a mechanical luxury watch that will never tell time as well as a $40 Timex. There's the argument that the luxury watch will last longer, and that may be true, but a person could literally buy a brand new Timex (or Casio or other budget level brand) every time the one they have broke for the rest of their lives and still be ahead of the game.

A guy I know wears a Timex Weekender on a nylon olive drab strap. It's a cheap, totally utilitarian watch, but for some reason it always catches my eye - to me it just looks kind of cool It's a $40 watch. He'll wear it until it dies, and no doubt he'll get something very similar to replace it.

Totally get your point and I don’t disagree. A $10 Casio or Timex will “out-tell” the time of even the most expensive hand made Swiss tourbillion movement, often upward of $250K+.

Back before battery powered quartz movements exploded onto the scene in the 80’s, mechanical watches were the only game in town, and the prices reflected that. Quartz watches can be made for pennies on the dollar when compared to even the lowest grade mechanical watch. It was a major disruptor to an otherwise healthy industry of watchmaking and is well known as the “quartz crisis”.

Many luxury Swiss watch brands, panicking at the sudden drop off of demand, followed suite and began making quartz watches, while still trying to retain a “luxury” price point. It was a massive failure and killed off many well known brands.

Rolex, on the other hand, did what no one had the guts to do and RAISED their prices during this time, and also stood firmly and didn’t invest in quartz powered watches. This, along with some very clever marketing, helped to elevate Rolex to the brand it is today. Effectively taking what was known as a high grade tool-watch and making it a luxury commodity.

It took many rebrands and a number of large buy ups by conglomerates (Swatch group and Richemont, for example) to save the Swiss watch industry.

The likes of Breguet, Omega, Longines, Hamilton, Tissot, etc, owe their current existence to the Swatch Group swooping in at the eleventh hour to keep the lights on.

The Swiss watch industry has since largely recovered into what I believe is now another golden age of watchmaking.

A solid global economy and the pre Covid economy in the US helped drive demand for high end watches at levels not seen since before the quartz crisis. Even “post Covid” demand seems to still be very high.

Also, it’s important to note that other countries have much stronger demand for high end watches VS the US. Japan is one example.

Anyway... ramble over.

Point is... I have no problem with anyone who wears a cheap watch merely as a tool to tell time. Citizen Ecodrive line is a great example of a quality quartz watch, as is the Bulova Accutron series.

But there is a wonderful world of watchmaking out there, with watches that are true heirlooms and something that can be worn with pride.

I can tell a lot about a person by the watch they wear. And no, this doesn’t mean if you wear a cheap watch I look down on you. I have equal respect for someone wearing a Seiko 5 Auto as I do an IWC Pilot, or Tudor Black Bay.

The only people I judge are the ones wearing Invictas, Michael Khors or Shinolas...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Totally get your point and I don’t disagree. A $10 Casio or Timex will “out-tell” the time of even the most expensive hand made Swiss tourbillion movement, often upward of $250K+.

Back before battery powered quartz movements exploded onto the scene in the 80’s, mechanical watches were the only game in town, and the prices reflected that. Quartz watches can be made for pennies on the dollar when compared to even the lowest grade mechanical watch. It was a major disruptor to an otherwise healthy industry of watchmaking and is well known as the “quartz crisis”.

Many luxury Swiss watch brands, panicking at the sudden drop off of demand, followed suite and began making quartz watches, while still trying to retain a “luxury” price point. It was a massive failure and killed off many well known brands.

Rolex, on the other hand, did what no one had the guts to do and RAISED their prices during this time, and also stood firmly and didn’t invest in quartz powered watches. This, along with some very clever marketing, helped to elevate Rolex to the brand it is today. Effectively taking what was known as a high grade tool-watch and making it a luxury commodity.

It took many rebrands and a number of large buy ups by conglomerates (Swatch group and Richemont, for example) to save the Swiss watch industry.

The likes of Breguet, Omega, Longines, Hamilton, Tissot, etc, owe their current existence to the Swatch Group swooping in at the eleventh hour to keep the lights on.

The Swiss watch industry has since largely recovered into what I believe is now another golden age of watchmaking.

A solid global economy and the pre Covid economy in the US helped drive demand for high end watches at levels not seen since before the quartz crisis. Even “post Covid” demand seems to still be very high.

Also, it’s important to note that other countries have much stronger demand for high end watches VS the US. Japan is one example.

Anyway... ramble over.

Point is... I have no problem with anyone who wears a cheap watch merely as a tool to tell time. Citizen Ecodrive line is a great example of a quality quartz watch, as is the Bulova Accutron series.

But there is a wonderful world of watchmaking out there, with watches that are true heirlooms and something that can be worn with pride.

I can tell a lot about a person by the watch they wear. And no, this doesn’t mean if you wear a cheap watch I look down on you. I have equal respect for someone wearing a Seiko 5 Auto as I do an IWC Pilot, or Tudor Black Bay.

The only people I judge are the ones wearing Invictas, Michael Khors or Shinolas...

Rolex did make the OysterQuartz. Why the Shinola hate? I know nothing about them.

Attachments

• F5F99BBD-FF26-430D-A4DE-5AC9B41AD186.jpg
      F5F99BBD-FF26-430D-A4DE-5AC9B41AD186.jpg
      66.6 KB · Views: 146

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    The first watch I ever wanted was a Timex Expedition. I bought one with my "payout" check when I left basic training. Second one I wanted was a Seiko Orange Monster. I never did buy one of those.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Rolex did make the OysterQuartz. Why the Shinola hate? I know nothing about them.

I am aware of the Oysterquartz, although my understanding was that it was short lived.

Shinola, to me, is ultimately how they approach their brand.

For a while they said “made in USA”, when in reality they use very basic ETA and Selitta movements that can be found in watches for less than half of what they charge (IE, Tissot, Hamilton).

When they were called out, they backpedaled hard and said that incomplete Swiss movements were sent to them and assembled in the US, which is total BS.

They basically use shoddy marketing tricks to create a false brand image that is inauthentic and a total rip for the price.

I’m sure they’ve spent tons trying to clean up this reputation, but it’s stuck with me.

For roughly $1000, you can and should do much better than Shinola. A bunch of Kickstarter Wall Street type bro’s making stupid money on uninformed but well intentioned consumers.

They’ve also recently doubled down on quartz, presumably to help boost profits after the likely realization that their target market (non watch people) care less about quality and more about the perceived quality of something based on its cost alone. Like my buddy who bought a Rolex then told me he was pissed because it needed a new battery after only a week of owning it.... my response? “What do you think you spent $8000 on?”

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The first watch I ever wanted was a Timex Expedition. I bought one with my "payout" check when I left basic training. Second one I wanted was a Seiko Orange Monster. I never did buy one of those.

The Seiko Monster is an excellent watch for its price point. It has a cult-like following these days.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Sometimes it seems kind of funny to me that people will buy a mechanical luxury watch that will never tell time as well as a $40 Timex. There's the argument that the luxury watch will last longer, and that may be true, but a person could literally buy a brand new Timex (or Casio or other budget level brand) every time the one they have broke for the rest of their lives and still be ahead of the game.

A guy I know wears a Timex Weekender on a nylon olive drab strap. It's a cheap, totally utilitarian watch, but for some reason it always catches my eye - to me it just looks kind of cool It's a $40 watch. He'll wear it until it dies, and no doubt he'll get something very similar to replace it.

I had one of those and in no time i snapped the stem off when i caught it on the edge of my pocket. They tell time well and look pretty nice but are not nearly durable enough in my opinion. I got an orient mako to replace it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am aware of the Oysterquartz, although my understanding was that it was short lived.

Shinola, to me, is ultimately how they approach their brand.

For a while they said “made in USA”, when in reality they use very basic ETA and Selitta movements that can be found in watches for less than half of what they charge (IE, Tissot, Hamilton).

When they were called out, they backpedaled hard and said that incomplete Swiss movements were sent to them and assembled in the US, which is total BS.

They basically use shoddy marketing tricks to create a false brand image that is inauthentic and a total rip for the price.

I’m sure they’ve spent tons trying to clean up this reputation, but it’s stuck with me.

For roughly $1000, you can and should do much better than Shinola. A bunch of Kickstarter Wall Street type bro’s making stupid money on uninformed but well intentioned consumers.

They’ve also recently doubled down on quartz, presumably to help boost profits after the likely realization that their target market (non watch people) care less about quality and more about the perceived quality of something based on its cost alone. Like my buddy who bought a Rolex then told me he was pissed because it needed a new battery after only a week of owning it.... my response? “What do you think you spent $8000 on?”
    Lol @ My Rolex needs a battery.

Thanks for the explanation.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

I wanted to touch on a couple of parts from your post without quoting the whole thing again.

I'm pretty much in total agreement to what you've said, particularly about entering into a new golden age of watch making, and not specifically Swiss watch making, although to be fair, many of the microbrands are using Swiss automatic movements. Many are also using Japanese movements too.

I have an Invicta 9937OB that I like. At the time I got it - my 40th birthday - I had kind of floated the idea past the missus for a quality wristwatch for my 40th. I really wanted a Rolex Submariner, but was willing to "settle" for an Omega Seasmaster - at the time 10 years ago, I think they could be had somewhere just north of $2500. My wife thought I was insane. She doesn't wear a watch at all, and it took her a while to come to grips with my watch obsession, which was just starting to regain its footing.

Had I known more about Invicta at the time, I'd have looked elsewhere, but it seemed like a good value - the 9937OB is basically a Submariner lookalike, has a sapphire crystal, and a Swiss automatic movement. Earlier renditions used an Eta 2824, but mine has the Sellita clone, the SW200. I'm always on the fence about wearing it these days because of what Invicta has come to represent, but at the end of the day, it's still a great looking watch, still runs great, and keeps time well for an automatic - it has settled to about +8 sec/day from the +15 it was when I first got it.

In any case, I wonder at myself sometimes about the fact that my favorite watches are all automatics. Other than the Invicta, I also own a Tissot, (Eta 2824 Powermatic 80) a Seiko 5 SNHZ57 "55 Fathoms," (7s36a) and a 2nd Gen Orient Bambino. (Orient Caliber F6722)

They'll never keep time the way my quartz watches do, but I like the fact that there's a precise little spring-wound machine inside doing the work, along with the sweeping second hand. As my collection grows, I'll continue to get automatics rather than quartz watches, although I'll continue to keep the quartz watches in rotation - they still have a place.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    https://glockwatches.com/

Cool collector's piece, but for $400 I'm going to have to pass.

After the 3,500 piece initial run, they should dump the titanium, make it completely polymer like a g-shock or swatch and sell them for $30

$400 is the blue label price for a lot of GLOCK models. I'd rather have a new G17 than an analog watch from a company that doesn't make watches.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    Diggin’ my new strap. One of my Marathons is the order of the day. Hows everyone doing. Been a few since i’ve darkened the doorstep around here.

Attachments

• 1F98E421-8A10-476C-95FD-71167680E2DF.jpg
      1F98E421-8A10-476C-95FD-71167680E2DF.jpg
      130.6 KB · Views: 224

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    Here is the newest to my collection. Definitely not an investment piece or an automatic, but, just a cool concept watch. I have a few other older models from this company dating back to the late 90's. When not wearing a Yes I usually wear one of the various G Shock Solar's since I'm lazy and hate charging or changing a watch battery.

Attachments

• 20220108_092023_resized.jpg
      20220108_092023_resized.jpg
      65.8 KB · Views: 178

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Here is the newest to my collection. Definitely not an investment piece or an automatic, but, just a cool concept watch. I have a few other older models from this company dating back to the late 90's. When not wearing a Yes I usually wear one of the various G Shock Solar's since I'm lazy and hate charging or changing a watch battery.

That's a very interesting abomination. :lol2:

I don't think I have ever seen tritium on a digital or partly digital watch before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom