• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    Replacement crystal for your Waltham are still available. It is easy to accidentally damage the hands or the face without the crystal.

Yeah, I'm really careful with it because of that. Question is, where (trustworthy) do I take it to have the crystal replaced and the works serviced? I haven't a clue.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah, I'm really careful with it because of that. Question is, where (trustworthy) do I take it to have the crystal replaced and the works serviced? I haven't a clue.

The issue is, and I know you can't put a figure on a family heirloom, would be cost. You'll probably end up spending 400 bucks to fix a $150 watch.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    That’s (Tegiment) part of what sold me. My sweat is profuse and acidic. Eats bands and anything less than high end stainless.

Here’s hoping.

Post yours...

Mine is posted way back on August 29th, 2013, but here's another.

Attachments

• Sinn Vineyard.jpg
      Sinn Vineyard.jpg
      113.7 KB · Views: 328

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village

There is a Pocketwatch overhauing guide somewhere. Like Blaster said, $400(overhaul) + $100(crystal replacement) + shipping and insurance. Easy $600 to restore. Lot of reason why this watch stop working. In this movement, I think there are 200 parts in it. One of them or more might be broken, rusted , miscalibrated from the previous service or the movement is just plain tired. Do this if this watch is important to you. Or if it is worth it. There are Waltham Pocketwatches in this era that can fetch 3k for the right buyer. Most of this in decent conditon(working sample) can be had for as little as $200.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    That’s (Tegiment) part of what sold me. My sweat is profuse and acidic. Eats bands and anything less than high end stainless.

Here’s hoping.

Post yours...

The "Tegimenting" helps with corrosion in addition to the hardness of the steel? Didn't know that. Always wanted a Sinn, but never pulled the trigger.

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    There is a Pocketwatch overhauing guide somewhere. Like Blaster said, $400(overhaul) + $100(crystal replacement) + shipping and insurance. Easy $600 to restore. Lot of reason why this watch stop working. In this movement, I think there are 200 parts in it. One of them or more might be broken, rusted , miscalibrated from the previous service or the movement is just plain tired. Do this if this watch is important to you. Or if it is worth it. There are Waltham Pocketwatches in this era that can fetch 3k for the right buyer. Most of this in decent conditon(working sample) can be had for as little as $200.

Oh, it works. It just hasn't been serviced since the early '70s.

duckduckgoose

Sep 7, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I wear an old Garmin Vivoactive HR, it's my second one in about 8 years. This one has been to hell and back as you can tell from the photo.

They're discontinued now but I found the second online for about $120.

I've got all the notification crap turned off, but it's pretty slick for heart rate recovery monitoring during cardio workouts.

OrbPCfs.jpg

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    So is a new Rolex Air King at MSRP an OK deal? Seems like the routinely go for more than MSRP in the grey and used markets. Probably should go checkout the Rolex groups I guess. Got it narrowed down to the Air King or Explorer, not sure I can actually find the Explorer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    So is a new Rolex Air King at MSRP an OK deal? Seems like the routinely go for more than MSRP in the grey and used markets. Probably should go checkout the Rolex groups I guess. Got it narrowed down to the Air King or Explorer, not sure I can actually find the Explorer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Answering my own question. Nobody has an Explorer 1 and the Air King is literally the only one I can get at an AD (well, that and a Date-Just that I'm not interested in.). Guess I'll go with the AK and enjoy it for a couple of years. Market is crazy town these days, even my Breitling Superocean ii 44 is worth more now than I paid 2 years ago - never would have guessed that.

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    Answering my own question. Nobody has an Explorer 1 and the Air King is literally the only one I can get at an AD (well, that and a Date-Just that I'm not interested in.). Guess I'll go with the AK and enjoy it for a couple of years. Market is crazy town these days, even my Breitling Superocean ii 44 is worth more now than I paid 2 years ago - never would have guessed that.

IMHO the AK is a very good watch, but not for the money. If you just like to own an Air King, cause you like it, get it. For around a 1K more, I will get the Milgaus GV, which is about the same watch as the AK, but the Milgaus has a lot of story behind this model(History). I think they share the 3131 Caliber movement with anti magnetic characteristic that are only used on this 2 models, but like I said, Milgaus has better blood line that the AK and value will be much better in the long run.Ilike the Milgaus cuase it does not look busy. Both watches are great looker. Is your Super Ocean II 44 not the Heritage model? I prefer the Chronometer than the Chronograph. Just enjoy the Breitling, I really wish they did not made it look like an older Rolex sub.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    IMHO the AK is a very good watch, but not for the money. If you just like to own an Air King, cause you like it, get it. For around a 1K more, I will get the Milgaus GV, which is about the same watch as the AK, but the Milgaus has a lot of story behind this model(History). I think they share the 3131 Caliber movement with anti magnetic characteristic that are only used on this 2 models, but like I said, Milgaus has better blood line that the AK and value will be much better in the long run.Ilike the Milgaus cuase it does not look busy. Both watches are great looker. Is your Super Ocean II 44 not the Heritage model? I prefer the Chronometer than the Chronograph. Just enjoy the Breitling, I really wish they did not made it look like an older Rolex sub.

Here's my SO. I really have my heart set on the Explorer...may just go grey market and pay a premium. I tend to wear the same watch everyday with little rotation and while I really like the AK, it may be too casual for some situations. I'm going to go try it on today I guess. I was originally thinking I'd sell the Breitling, but I like it too much.

Attachments

• iA65CwQTQ22LB7pC%KbizQ.jpg
      iA65CwQTQ22LB7pC%KbizQ.jpg
      83.2 KB · Views: 311

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads