• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    While I got slammed by Bubba and a less than honest auction house on the mutilated M27 I did manage to get a decent Finn Dragoon for a fair price; $185 plus shipping. A 1925 dated Tula in fair to good condition. At first glance the bore isn't too bad. We'll see if it brightens after a cleaning session. It's missing the cleaning rod but otherwise a decent example. And I can't find an import mark anywhere on it. Might have been overlooked by the importer, might be an older import, who knows.
    The down side is that the bolt doesn't match, which hurts since everything else does. Still, I have a weakness for Dragoons though this one might end up in the classifieds as it doesn't "speak to me". Have to think it over.

Attachments

• IMGP6616.JPG
      IMGP6616.JPG
      20.8 KB · Views: 242
    • IMGP6617.JPG
      IMGP6617.JPG
      17.2 KB · Views: 246
    • IMGP6618.JPG
      IMGP6618.JPG
      54.6 KB · Views: 242
    • IMGP6619.JPG
      IMGP6619.JPG
      79 KB · Views: 244
    • IMGP6620.JPG
      IMGP6620.JPG
      60 KB · Views: 250

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Let me know if the Dragoon doesn't speak to you. I like it.

I got a Sistema in the mail this week, saw that it has the wrong sights on it (not showing in the photos that were posted), but they are good sights and I got it for a shooter anyway. Checked it and cleaned it, then took it out to shoot. On the 5th round, one of the grips came to pieces and it was apparent it had been super-glued together. Called the dealer and he offered to send a set of "nice" 1911 grips. I've also ordered a pair of replica Sistema grips for it. They will do for a shooter (nice though it may be, other than the replacement sights). Met a guy in VA today and got a rather nice-looking Ballester from him ... Argentine border guard stamp and matching numbers. Assumed it was a very good early re-arsenal (not like the ones done in the past few years), but it may be the original bluing. Crisp edges and crest. Barely present import mark (must be early ... tiny and on the heel). Barrel isn't shot out, but it's been shot a good bit. This has been a good week for the Argey .45 collection.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nice. I like it!

My friend, what would you use for a replacement cleaning rod? As this example was just SA stamped and then issued after capture I'm wondering if a simple Russian 91/30 rod wouldn't be appropriate. A piece of your vast Finn MN wisdom would be appreciated!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The Hex receivers just look nicer to me for some reason.

Maybe that's because I only have a round receiver '42 91/30 so far...

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Let me know if the Dragoon doesn't speak to you. I like it.

I got a Sistema in the mail this week, saw that it has the wrong sights on it (not showing in the photos that were posted), but they are good sights and I got it for a shooter anyway. Checked it and cleaned it, then took it out to shoot. On the 5th round, one of the grips came to pieces and it was apparent it had been super-glued together. Called the dealer and he offered to send a set of "nice" 1911 grips. I've also ordered a pair of replica Sistema grips for it. They will do for a shooter (nice though it may be, other than the replacement sights). Met a guy in VA today and got a rather nice-looking Ballester from him ... Argentine border guard stamp and matching numbers. Assumed it was a very good early re-arsenal (not like the ones done in the past few years), but it may be the original bluing. Crisp edges and crest. Barely present import mark (must be early ... tiny and on the heel). Barrel isn't shot out, but it's been shot a good bit. This has been a good week for the Argey .45 collection.

These are just going to appreciate over time and are still undervalued in general today. Esp. when you consider how much US marked 1911s have skyrocketed in the last decade. I can remember how certain C&Rs were considered the ugly step sister and were scorned by the more "advanced" collectors. Stuff like the Model 1917 "Enfield" or P-38. Now they're considered highly collectible and prices have risen sharply. Esp. as items like the Luger, Johnson or Walther PPK have been priced out of the reach of the avg. or beginning collector.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Nice Tula, strange on many of the Finns you expect a total mismatch except the bolt. Yes they use the standard 91/30 cleaning rod, removing the bluing would make it look better.
    The combination of being a Tula and no import marks are real good bonuses.

Drucifer

Feb 15, 2010
    Catonsville, MD
    You got the best buy in that auction with your M91. Good job!
    Win-some, lose-some with these online auctions. Several months ago I won a Stevens 225 for $250-ish. After I unpacked it, it literally fell apart in my hands. The buttstock wrist crumbled into several pieces, and the forearm mount was held on with JB weld. It completely came off when I opened the action.
    Oh well, Caveat Emptor I suppose.
    :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom