• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I personally don't buy into the idea that anyone shoots a horse by mistake, thinking it's a deer. Nobody is that stupid. I think it's just a cover for those rare freaks that enjoy killing things, who use hunting as a cover for their obsession... the way pedophiles use certain occupations as a cover for theirs.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    They did it in St. Marys and Charles Counties this year.

DNR extended the firearms hunting season in those two counties as a tradeoff.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    First off, all the cases I could find where horses were killed by hunters have been with rifles, not bows. There are indeed some bad shots out there, and a bullet is deadly for quite a ways.

However, opening Sunday hunting adds (maybe) 2-4 days to the firearms/muzzleloader season, depending on how the season is structured.

Opening Sunday hunting principally affects bow season. I don't think there has ever actually been a case where a horse was killed by a bow.

I think this is a case where the rhetoric runs away from the facts.

I also think that this might be a case where the political class at these organizations is run by people who just oppose hunting, period. The horse owners and ornithologists I actually know appreciate the deer hunters. I have run into more than a few horse owners on horseback, who actually give me tips where the deer are hiding out, and direct me to kill more deer.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    Think of "muh chilluns" also I see the "if its brown its down" stickers...I feel bad for brown colored horses.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    As a horse owner and an avid shooter (but not a bow hunter), I see their point.

I allow a trusted hunter on my property during bow season because he knows the difference between an equine and a whitetail, and aims accordingly from his tree stand. That said, one of our horses was shot with a practice arrow (none lethal) that required a farm call by our vet to clean and suture ... and I know it wasn't my bow hunting friend.

My AACo property is posted 'No Trespassing' and 'No Hunting', but just like gun-free zones, it doesn't stop criminal, crazies, and illiterate a-holes from wrecking havoc. With larger grazing expanses out west, it's much more difficult to protect, let alone police.

I hope that they can find an agreement. By not allowing for the 30 day comment period, they have certainly stirred things up.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    some horse people are crazy. some asked once to ride on the farm and before i could tell them no they started telling me the rules that they required me to adhere to. no hunting or shooting while they were there. no running the tractor while they were there. no touching their horses. the list went on and on and i just had to stop the young lady and ask here to get the hell out.

in the last 50 years i can only remember 1 horse shot down here during hunting season and that horse was shot by a city guy spotlighting a field next to a road. i just dont see what their problem is.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    no hunting on Sundays is ridiculous...most other states dont have this and Im sure there are few horses killed...Im not saying there arent bad hunters...just saying the few incidents doesnt warrant stopping hunting on Sundays IMO...

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County
    I personally don't buy into the idea that anyone shoots a horse by mistake, thinking it's a deer. Nobody is that stupid. I think it's just a cover for those rare freaks that enjoy killing things, who use hunting as a cover for their obsession... the way pedophiles use certain occupations as a cover for theirs.

A guy up in Garrett County checked in a "deer" that turned out to be a goat. Of course this was years ago when you physically had to check an animal in versus calling it in.

Swanton store used to have a picture of it. Guy was from Baltimore City....need I say more.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    They did it in St. Marys and Charles Counties this year.

DNR extended the firearms hunting season in those two counties as a tradeoff.

They did what? I have not looked at the new regs yet to see what changes have been made. Please don't tell me that they took away Sunday hunting (on private land).

Edit to add: Just looked at the Regs and see that Sunday hunting is still good to go (private land) and that the season has been extended until March 31st.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Main reason horse people object is so they can continue to trespass without confronting the property owner with some type of weapon.

No hunting on Sundays was from the old-days blue laws that also did not allow stores to be open on Sundays. Those days are long gone. time to end the ban on Sunday hunting for all seasons.

Jerry

Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    Related note.... I have fawn colored greyhounds. More than one neighbor has tried to gather up my "lost" dog only to find it was a deer. Usually the see them from a ways off, so one might forgive them. At least they tried to do a good deed and, thankfully, none have been successful. ?.

edit: im glad I dont live near hunting grounds, though...

ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    My thought is If any of you guys have deer as big as horses On your property I want hunting permission and yes I know the difference between the two. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    partyboytowsonhigh1956

Latest threads

Top Bottom