• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I've been an infrequent customer of 2A for as far back as I can remember (which isn't saying much since I have CRS, but I digress). Mark, Tom and the guys have always been there to answer my dumb questions and put up with my lack of knowledge (and sell me a bunch of great stuff, too). You guys deserve a medal.

Last Saturday I went to the Gettysburg gun show just for something to do, and coming home I figured I'd stop by 2A to see if they had a rifle that would fit into a nice little spot in the trunk of my car (all my other stuff is too long). I didn't pay much attention to the time, and it was close to closing, but Tom asked a few questions and offered up some choices. Nothing really hit the mark, until... as a last ditch effort he put a DPMS AR in 300 Blk into my hands. I had no experience with ARs, and even less with 300 Blk, so it was a completely alien creature. But it somehow seemed 'right'. You know that feeling, when a gun just feels right? Well, after some mental masturbation, I bought it along with a case of subsonic ammo.

It didn't come with sights, so Tom hooked me up (sold me) some basic flip ups, and I had a box of optics at home, so I figured I'd be good. Got home, stripped, cleaned and lubed the rifle, tried out a couple of different scopes, bore sighted one that looked promising. Went to the range (AGC) on Monday and started with the flip ups. After a few shots, I got it zeroed in, and the results were okay. I put on the optic that had worked so well at home, and the batteries were dead. Naturally, I didn't have spares. Crap!

The rifle was great, and as strange as this sounds, it was the most pleasant rifle I've ever shot. Not a lot of bark and very little recoil. Ergonomics worked for me. Just felt right. Except the trigger. Felt like emery cloth on sandpaper. Gritty. Kind of sad, really. So on the way home from the range I stopped back at 2A to ask about a new trigger. Tom saw me coming, and to his credit, he didn't run and hide. Instead, he helped me pick out a 2 stage Giessele that I installed after I got home.

Anyway, got home, installed the trigger (after fortifying myself with an adult beverage) and found another optic (combination scope and laser, el cheapo special), bore sighted it and took it to the range today. WOW! Just WOW. This is now officially the sweetest shooting rifle I've ever owned, in no small part due to its accuracy. The Giesele trigger made a HUGE improvement. Folks who know me know I'm a terrible shot. On my best days I struggle to achieve mediocrity. Well, today, things went pretty well. After a few shots to adjust the scope, things got settled down, and after a few targets, here is my last 10 shot group from 50 yards. To be honest, I used a bipod and a rest, so this isn't just me shooting, but a whole lot of mechanical advantage. But still, this is 10 rounds at 50 yards. Thank goodness for the one flyer, otherwise I would have thought something was wrong or I was shooting blanks. FWIW, I was consistently shooting 1.25" groups before this one:

Anyway, thanks to Tom and the guys at 2A for your continued support! It's nice to have an LGS that is knowledgeable and helpful, and speaks English as a first language.

Attachments

• IMG_0135.jpg
      IMG_0135.jpg
      47 KB · Views: 513
    Last edited:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    That's some nice shooting!

Good luck with that rifle! And yeah, they're good folks at 2A! I stopped in there for the first time a few years back, just in the area and looking for a particular pistol. Found a shop instead.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Very nice - congratulations! I want to get down there and talk to them about an AR.

Thanks!. When I was there yesterday it looked like they just got in a big shipment of goodies. Lots of coolness just waiting to find new homes. :D

2Asales&Supplies

, , Up In Arms Since 2009
    Industry Partner
    Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks a lot for the nice write up! It's always good to see you Man. We are all very happy you like the 300.

Don't be a stranger!

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Thanks a lot for the nice write up! It's always good to see you Man. We are all very happy you like the 300.

Don't be a stranger!

I can't get much stranger. :lol2: But seriously, it's always a pleasure to stop by and know I'm getting the straight skinny from folks who aren't (skinny, that is). No offense intended, just humor. I've been drooling over that Sig Tango 6 scope that Tom showed me, and I'm trying to figure out a way to make it happen. After looking through that, everything else is coming up short. And with a rifle that can literally drive tacks, it would be a sin to pick an optic that doesn't live up to that potential. ARGH... decisions, decisions. I'll have to stop by soon and bond with it some more.

Anyway, thanks again for the terrific service! :thumbsup:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    The Devil made me do it

Wel, Tom planted a seed of need during my last visit. Showed me a Sig Tango6 scope that was one of the nicest scopes I've seen. Super clarity, 1-6x, illuminated reticle with electronics that turn it off and on based on motion in addition to manual switching, and a cool factor off the charts. Yeah, I'm easily impressed. Anyway, after trying to get it out of my mind using the adult beverage of choice (martini), it still seemed like a good idea. So this afternoon I dug deep into the vacation fund and stopped by 2A. Picked up the scope and a QD mount.

Got home and put it on the DPMS. Haven't shot it yet, but that should happen early next week. Can't wait! Thanks again to the good guys at 2A! Now it's time for a martini to celebrate. :D

Anyway, here's the finished product:

Attachments

• finished product.jpg
      finished product.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 335

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I can't get much stranger. :lol2: But seriously, it's always a pleasure to stop by and know I'm getting the straight skinny from folks who aren't (skinny, that is). No offense intended, just humor. I've been drooling over that Sig Tango 6 scope that Tom showed me, and I'm trying to figure out a way to make it happen. After looking through that, everything else is coming up short. And with a rifle that can literally drive tacks, it would be a sin to pick an optic that doesn't live up to that potential. ARGH... decisions, decisions. I'll have to stop by soon and bond with it some more.

Anyway, thanks again for the terrific service! :thumbsup:

no sh!t.

:lol2:
    But seriously if you feel the need to take a buddy to AGC let me know.
    I didn't renew my range badge last year. :sad20:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater

no sh!t.

:lol2:
    But seriously if you feel the need to take a buddy to AGC let me know.
    I didn't renew my range badge last year. :sad20:

Any time Rob... I'd be glad to have you. I only go on weekdays though... too crowded on the weekends for my taste.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Thanks, guys. I hope to be at AGC on Tuesday morning around 1030. Feel free to stop by and run a mag or two, my treat. I haven't sighted it in yet, so that will be the first order of business. After that, we'll have some fun!

BTW, I moved the scope forward from that picture. Mounting it in my basement dungeon made it hard to get just the right eye relief. I received some advice from Mark at 2A and now it's in a better spot. Can't wait to try it out!

Darn it... having so much fun tinkering with it I forget to get that martini. Better late than never. :thumbsup:

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Thanks, guys. I hope to be at AGC on Tuesday morning around 1030. Feel free to stop by and run a mag or two, my treat. I haven't sighted it in yet, so that will be the first order of business. After that, we'll have some fun!

BTW, I moved the scope forward from that picture. Mounting it in my basement dungeon made it hard to get just the right eye relief. I received some advice from Mark at 2A and now it's in a better spot. Can't wait to try it out!

Darn it... having so much fun tinkering with it I forget to get that martini. Better late than never. :thumbsup:

Beautiful rig! Your scope mount is backwards, it should help with positioning when you turn it around!

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Beautiful rig! Your scope mount is backwards, it should help with positioning when you turn it around!

:lol: Yep. All fixed now. Thanks! I wondered when somebody would post that up on the thread. I'll post up a new picture when I get the chance to set the record straight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom