• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

Last after I got back from the range shooting my new black powder (which was a blast btw!) and was cleaning it. I was almost done, I ran my final patch through it (that had a bit of oil on it) and when I pulled the cleaning rod out: NO PATCH! :sad20:
    Crap I thought (that's the PG-Version ) now what? :mad54:
    I tired shaking it - hoping the it would come out but didn't. I thought about running some water down the barrel but there had to be a another way.
    After about about a minute I remembered: I have a patch-puller!
    I attached it to the end of of my ramrod and after a bit of work - out came the patch! It's a small item that doesn't cost that much but it just paid for itself! The funny thing is I almost didn't buy one but I did it after a couple of recommendations, I'm glad I did!
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Looking back I still don't see how that patch came off, stuff happens I guess.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The patch should form a tight seal between the jag and inside of the barrel, so that doesn't happen. The patch material was probably too thin for your jag.

Get a ball puller too. It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it!

Dec 31, 2012
    The patch should form a tight seal between the jag and inside of the barrel, so that doesn't happen. The patch material was probably too thin for your jag.

Get a ball puller too. It's better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it!
    It's inevitable, one day you will need it. I gave one to my brother and he was using it within a week after he double loaded a shotgun.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I ran out of cleaning patches and used one of those thin patches from walmart in the beginning. Left it behind. Drilled a hole at an angle in a dowel rod and shoved a toothpick in it , then shoved it down and twisted till it got caught up on it.
    Yup patch puller and ball puller are things to keep with you.
    Honestly, shooting out the ball if you load it w/o powder (dry ball) is better with a sidelock FYI. Just pull the nipple out and shove powder in there. Verify w/ ramrod cause you may feel like nothing came out.

Glad to hear the new one did not take as long to shoot as your pistol did! :)

DennisCA

Some new S&M toy to try out or are you just waiting for the right time?

I would really like to explain it to you but no matter how I said it - it would sound kinky! :sad20: :lol2: :lol:

Melnic - "Glad to hear the new one did not take as long to shoot as your pistol did"

Yea - I am too; my son shot some video, as soon as he gets some time (and sends it to me) I'll post it.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    +1 on the ball puller, they are a necessity for a BP shooter. I keep mine on a dedicated rod for convenience. I find patch pullers don't pull patches that well, but a ball puller will do that quite adequately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom