Tenets of Self Defense - 3 Words Ending with " 'ness".

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thinking out loud and jotting down some thoughts this morning.
    Here are my 3 "tenets".
    Just a few things to think about how they might fit into your knowledge, skills, and abilities in handling a self defense situation.

Awareness

This is the "left of the bang". The things you see, listen, and look for in order to prevent or get yourself out of a "bang" situation.
    "What if this happens", "what if that happens".
    Example: As you are sitting there at a table, think a scenario or two. "What if a guy comes through the door wielding a shotgun".
    Are you so close to the door that you have to do something, or are you far enough away to escape?
    Don't dwell on these things and miss having dinner with your family while sitting there, just give a quick thought and tuck it away.
    You can have all the coolest gear in the world, but if you don't notice someone coming up to you with a baseball bat, none of that gear matters.

Preparedness

Are you prepared with the right gear to handle whatever situation you find yourself in? Do you know how to use that gear in that situation? Can you make a shot to that door while sitting down? Have you even thought that you can pick up a knife or fork off the table and use that as a weapon? Hell, throw a glass ketchup bottle or napkin holder if need be.
    If you have no gear, then maybe use an escape plan.

Willingness

Very simple.
    You had the awareness to see something happening.
    You are prepped with the right gear for the job.
    Are you willing to do something? Will you take that shot? Can you actually do what you are willing to do?

There's nothing wrong with doing nothing. You don't have to "Step up to the plate", unless you are forced to because you are with family. It's ok to try and escape if possible.

If you can or are going to do something, is your mind uncluttered in order for you to act?
    Nothing else in that moment matters. There is no asking "Why is this person doing this?".
    There is no saying to yourself "I can't believe this is happening". No thinking about that birthday dinner tonite.
    Spiritually are good with your God and family? Have you said the last good words to your family before you left the house that day?
    The less cluttered your mind is with these things the better you can exercise your will.
    Nothing matters other than escaping or surviving that situation.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Enjoy!

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Here are my 3 "tenets".
    Just a few things to think about how they might fit into your knowledge, skills, and abilities in handling a self defense situation.

Awareness

This is the "left of the bang". The things you see, listen, and look for in order to prevent or get yourself out of a "bang" situation.
    Example: As you are sitting there at a table, think a scenario or two. "What if a guy comes through the door wielding a shotgun".
    Are you so close to the door that you have to do something, or are you far enough away to escape?
    Don't dwell on these things and miss having dinner with your family while sitting there, just give a quick thought and tuck it away.
    You can have all the coolest gear in the world, but if you don't notice someone coming up to you with a baseball bat, none of that gear matters.

Preparedness

Are you prepared with the right gear to handle whatever situation you find yourself in? Do you know how to use that gear in that situation? Can you make a shot to that door while sitting down? Have you even thought that you can pick up a knife or fork off the table and use that as a weapon? Hell, throw a glass ketchup bottle or napkin holder if need be.

Willingness

Very simple.
    Are you willing to do something? Will you take that shot? Can you actually do what you are willing to do?

There's nothing wrong with doing nothing. You don't have to "Step up to the plate", unless you are forced to because you are with family. It's ok to try and escape if possible.

If you can or are going to do something, is your mind uncluttered in order for you to act?
    Nothing else in that moment matters. There is no asking "Why is this person doing this?".
    There is no saying to yourself "I can't believe this is happening". No thinking about that birthday dinner tonite.
    Spiritually are good with your God and family? Have you said the last good words to your family before you left the house that day?
    The less cluttered your mind is with these things the better you can exercise your will.

Well said and good thoughts.
    TD

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I would add, as a scold to myself mostly, "Fitness."

Which is to say, lotta good the OP's first three nesses will do if you have an adrenaline-fueled cardiac event before you can practice fight OR flight (or during the middle of either). Can you move quickly without throwing your back (or knee, or whatever part is getting old) into a paralyzing state? I ain't the strapping young lad I once was, that's for sure. And going into defendo-mode can make your brain write some of those proverbial checks your body can't cash. And bouncing that check in the moment could be deadly for me or a loved one.

Perhaps this goes into the "awareness" bucket, because the limits on your agility, mobility, strength and stamina require in the moment awareness just like where the door and the ketchup bottle are.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

Which is to say, lotta good the OP's first three nesses will do if you have an adrenaline-fueled cardiac event before you can practice fight OR flight (or during the middle of either). Can you move quickly without throwing your back (or knee, or whatever part is getting old) into a paralyzing state? I ain't the strapping young lad I once was, that's for sure. And going into defendo-mode can make your brain write some of those proverbial checks your body can't cash. And bouncing that check in the moment could be deadly for me or a loved one.

Perhaps this goes into the "awareness" bucket, because the limits on your agility, mobility, strength and stamina require in the moment awareness just like where the door and the ketchup bottle are.
    Maybe you should start a situational awareness/mindset exercise program thread.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    1720540702361.jpeg

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    While I try not to dwell on Awareness, sometimes it takes me a few moments to assess a situation, like when entering a room or an area where there are potential threats. Sometimes people I am with notice my observations and ask who or what I am looking for. I guess I need to learn to be more discrete.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I really liked the original post by Blaster229. The point about "Willingness" reminded me of a comment that my sister's Mother-In-Law made when my BIL (her son) bought me my first handgun. She told me if I ever drew a gun, I had to be prepared to use it if necessary. Otherwise she said, the bad guy will simply take it from you and use it on you. I've often thought of that comment and always wondered how I would react if the moment came. The three tenets enunciated above are really important to keep in mind and think about.

Cal68

N83

May 23, 2024
    Hughesville

This is a good 'ness' to strive for, but not everyone falls in this camp. Plenty of people carry BECAUSE they don't have the strength, fitness, etc to adequately defend themselves otherwise. As they say, guns are the great equalizer.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    A very good topic for discussion provided by the op in my opinion with a workable strategy based on intelligent thought processes, use and application of mental skill-sets in stressful/unpredictable situations, creating positive self and environmental factors contributory to workable solutions and success.
    Some additional application of HP tools with no ness's could look like without juxtaposition in my mind look like:
    What are the critical steps?
    Whats the worst thing thing that could happen?
    What defenses are in place?
    What are the error likely situations?
    Have I asked for everything necessary?
    What is my role and do I have available every thing available?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    A very good topic for discussion provided by the op in my opinion with a workable strategy based on intelligent thought processes, use and application of mental skill-sets in stressful/unpredictable situations, creating positive self and environmental factors contributory to workable solutions and success.
    Some additional application of HP tools with no ness's could look like without juxtaposition in my mind look like:
    What are the critical steps?
    Whats the worst thing thing that could happen?
    What defenses are in place?
    What are the error likely situations?
    Have I asked for everything necessary?
    What is my role and do I have available every thing available?
    You're definitely overthinking. We aren't planning D Day. We're just out with the family having dinner. :)

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    What are the critical steps?.....................................................................Separation if possible(get off the X)
    Whats the worst thing thing that could happen?.............................Shoot an innocent
    What defenses are in place?...................................................................Cover v concealment(cover being the better option)
    What are the error likely situations?.....................................................Shooting an innocent
    Have I asked for everything necessary?...............................................There's always something else
    What is my role and do I have available every thing available?....If you can't help, you can only hurt
    These are my KISS thoughts.

Vatreni4Life

Sep 24, 2021
    HoCo
    Here are my 3 "tenets".

Awareness

Preparedness

Willingness

Very simple.

Thanks for this. Made me think more about MY own awareness in certain situations. I’m definitely lax and in need of slight improvement in these areas. Kudos Sir

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    shatter

Latest threads

Top Bottom