• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I find myself in the market for a deep conceal centerfire handgun. Never thought these words would pass my lips, but it looks like 380 is the way I need to go. I have modern micro 9mm's but each is too large or sharp-edged for a draw clean enough for the concealment requirement. Looking at the Spectrum, it appears to meet the requirements for this mission in a clean smooth package. Early reviews online were less than stellar, but it appears from more recent reviews that they have fixed the problems. Anyone here have experience with the Spectrum that you'd care to share? As stated, I hypothesize that they have worked out the problems, please include year of manufacture to help me validate or invalidate this hypothesis.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I will not trust my life on a Taurus. I’m been soured a few times with my model 94. They fixed it 3x and replaced it the fourth. Replacement policy was they gave me msrp value I was able to apply to another model.

They make some interesting things I’ve never seen or shot the spectrum. I’d probably buy a lcp first for deep concealment. The LCP II was a great improvement or S&W bodyguard.

Either way whatever you buy shoot it a ton, make sure it functions flawlessly and you’ll bet your life it works.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    With Taurus their clones and revolvers are solid their own designs are hit and miss. I will trust my life with my Taurus Beretta over my Ruger SR9, the biggest knock on the beretta is its a brick when loaded with 20 round mag.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Why not an LCP or LCP max?

The max is not noticably larger than the Taurus and holds 4 more rounds (slightly shorter and slightly taller.

Taurus Spectrum5.4 in3.82 in0.89 in10 oz
    Ruger LCP MAX5.22 in4.12 in0.97 in10.6 oz

I have an LC9 and do like Ruger reliability, and I am well aware of the concerns with Taurus reliability expressed by others here. I have looked closely at 3 of the LCP models. The Spectrum is a cleaner draw, without the sharp edges.

I believe speed of draw and accuracy of that first shot are more important than capacity, hence my focus on clean draw. Practice makes perfect, but engineering out a potential problem is a more reliable solution in almost every case.

I am also considering having a smith knock the edges off of an LCP to allow for a cleaner draw. . . If I can find someone willing to take it on. Would void Ruger's warranty, but that's not a real issue for me. Would also impact recoil force somewhat, but won't know how badly until the deed is done. I was planning to make some inquiries along this line later this week.

Sent from my SM-G781N using Tapatalk

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The original lcp is slippery and rounded, at least more than the lcp2 or max. I have one and it's tiny in my pocket. I'm with others on Taurus. I have a few models, but none leave my house on me.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I carry my LCP Max 6.5 out of 7 days of the week. 99% of the time in a kydex pocket holster (with a hook and thumb tab). I have never, repeat never, had an issue with drawing it from any clothing I put it in. Gym shorts, cargo shorts, dress pants, work pants. I understand the idea behind your concern on finding something "slick", however, I think it's a little unrealistic to think that the "sharp edges" of a standard LCP slide are somehow going to inhibit the draw from your pocket. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just sharing what I've personally experienced.

You're more then welcome to meet me at the range sometime and shoot my LCP Max, stick it in your pocket, try it for yourself. I have OWB holster, IWB holster, and the pocket kydex, you can try them all.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    You're more then welcome to meet me at the range sometime and shoot my LCP Max, stick it in your pocket, try it for yourself. I have OWB holster, IWB holster, and the pocket kydex, you can try them all.
    This is why I love MDS!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't think I'd trust a Taurus either, but I also have no reason to think it wouldn't fire the first shot.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    I carry my LCP Max 6.5 out of 7 days of the week. 99% of the time in a kydex pocket holster (with a hook and thumb tab). I have never, repeat never, had an issue with drawing it from any clothing I put it in. Gym shorts, cargo shorts, dress pants, work pants. I understand the idea behind your concern on finding something "slick", however, I think it's a little unrealistic to think that the "sharp edges" of a standard LCP slide are somehow going to inhibit the draw from your pocket. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just sharing what I've personally experienced.

I appreciate your offer very much, thanks kindly. I have shot everything mentioned so far and have tried them all in the 2 ensembles that I will be wearing, with a variety of pocket holsters. As Kman mentioned, the original LCP is the 'best' of the Rugers in this regard in my testing. Close to the Spectrum in draw....

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I appreciate your offer very much, thanks kindly. I have shot everything mentioned so far and have tried them all in the 2 ensembles that I will be wearing, with a variety of pocket holsters. As Kman mentioned, the original LCP is the 'best' of the Rugers in this regard in my testing. Close to the Spectrum in draw....
    I would take a fractional second disadvantage to draw (by your thought) using the LCP MAX, in order to gain a huge advantage with successfully putting rounds on target. There is a night and day difference between an LCP/Taurus Spectrum vs a LCP Max in regards to grip, trigger, sites, and available rounds (and possibly reliability).

How fast you can draw won't matter if all you are doing is making noise and not stopping the threat.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I think that your personal standard is, based upon my reading, that you are primarily concerned with a clean, quick draw from concealment. If that's your gold standard than likely you already have your answer.

Flametamer

MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2014
    Frederick County
    Thanks for all the input. The concealment requirements for this mission are the most challenging I have encountered yet, and my team mates are wrestling with it as well. None of our trials have gone as well as they need to; fortunately we have a bit more time to experiment. Have not yet found many who have experience with the Spectrum, so we may be heading toward customizing a LCP.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    Now the semi auto pistols I would not trust myself. The revolvers are a different story. I own quite a few bought over the past 25 years. Never a timing issue or other. I have them in 38, 357 and 44 mag.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks for all the input. The concealment requirements for this mission are the most challenging I have encountered yet, and my team mates are wrestling with it as well. None of our trials have gone as well as they need to; fortunately we have a bit more time to experiment. Have not yet found many who have experience with the Spectrum, so we may be heading toward customizing a LCP.
    PM me.
    I might have an idea or two

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom