• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I'm on the lookout for a good deal on a 500. I've seen tactical shotguns with the normal stock, a stock and a pistol grip, and a pistol grip with no stock.

I (with my limited knowledge) don't think I'd like a pistol grip. Just a good old-fashioned synthetic stock.

My question is: What are your opinions on all three set-ups?

Is there really an advantage to having a pistol grip along with the stock? And what about JUST a pistol grip with no stock.

I want this for HD gun that my 5'4", 107 lb wife can also shoot if necessary.

Thoughts?

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I bought the knoxx recoil reducing stock and just could not get into it. It felt good and the pistol grip wasn't too invasive, but the AR style stock was just too unnatural for me. Also, I found that I had to fumble around to get to the slide release because of the way the new stock covered it. In the end, I went with the Hogue over molded 12" stock and am pretty happy with it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I would not go with any pistol grip configuration with a Mossberg. The safety is placed where it is for a standard stock. Blackhawk makes a recoil reducing stock that looks like a regular stock. I'd snag that if I was shooting a lot of buck/ball ammo.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I would not go with any pistol grip configuration with a Mossberg. The safety is placed where it is for a standard stock. Blackhawk makes a recoil reducing stock that looks like a regular stock. I'd snag that if I was shooting a lot of buck/ball ammo.

This. Even with a big ol safety on it it's going to be a pain in the ass at best to flip it on and off with a pistol grip.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Standard Stocks on shotguns all o wetter recoil management and weapons handling. As said a pistol grip on a mossberg sucks because of the location of the safety as well.

Best stocks for a mossy500 are a hogue overmold with a youth L.O.P. or if its for a BIG person a Speed Feed in a traditional variant that holds shells. I put slugs in my speedfeed and buckshot in my mesa saddle.

OldSchool1959

MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I had the Knoxx stock on my 870 and sold it. Was not a fan.
    Different strokes but I put the Knox stocks on my 870 12 & 20. I love them. I also put on the oversized safeties to make it easier to engage in the new configuration. Of course, they are both HD tasked so the oft reported cheek slap is not an issue for me or my better half. I shot slugs through the 12 at an outdoor range last week and the SPECOPS ate up the kick just like butter.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    For HD and such I am a huge fan of folding stocks. If you find yourself house clearing/gathering kids a folded stock /pistol grip is much better for retention. For anything past 25' you can deploy the stock and fire normally.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Mossberg cruiser 590. If you have coordination the thumb safety will not be an issue. In fact it is very user friendly!!

Grason

Sep 30, 2011
    Or you can make your own pistol grip....This is fun and easy to shoot.

57B3A261-9CAA-485F-88F7-EAE0E379B3E1.jpeg

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you really think you need a pistol grip only , the above pictured style is less worse than the usual commercial style. But still PG onlys are a bad idea , at least until you are getting well into NFA length.

Conventional is the way to go. If you are doing house clearing without a team , you need a pistol, not an awkard sort of shotgun.

Once upon a time I purchased a Moss Persuader w/ pistol gr only. I was taking a "coffee break" while working , loaded up as soon as left store , and carried it so remainder of the day. After getting home replaced w/ full stock , never went back.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    If you want a pistol grip or collapsible stock with a pistol grip I have a few you are more then welcome to . I put full stocks back on all my shotguns . they are more comfortable and you do not have to shift your grip to get to the safety . Another option is a youth length stock which would probably be great for your wife.

Like I said I have a few stocks that you are more then welcome to to see what you like , I wont be using them . I have a few pistol grips and a Blackhawk stock for a 500.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I have no problem with my Knoxx on my 500. My 5'3" 110 pound daughter has shot it even though she does not like shotguns in general. The top located, thumb activated safety does not inconvenience me, but my hands are much larger than most.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I picked it up today and it came with a regular stock AND a separate pistol grip.

It has the stock on it now. I'll probably throw the pistol grip on it just to try it out. But I don't see me keeping it on there.

Kicks like an SOB, BTW. Actually have a slight bruise on my shoulder.

Cool.
    :)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I remember putting the cruiser grip on my 835 and letting my friends try the 2 1/4oz magnums. Anyone under 180lbs was picked up and moved back a foot.

Wimps!

On second thought, I'll keep that in mind now that I'm 30 pounds under 180 instead of 30 pounds over 180 :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom