• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I finally got around to taking the butt plate off my 1943 K-31. Is this what they mean when folks talk about “troop tags”?

Two separate pieces of writing under there. One appears to be on almost regular paper and the other is a little heavier material. Both handwritten. I didn’t mess with them for fear of damaging them.

The rifle’s serial number does match the number written on the small, heavier piece of whatever it is.

IMG_2468.jpeg
    IMG_2469.jpeg

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The one with the hole in it is the standard tag used. It’s for Andre Nicolet.

The grid paper seems to be about the rifle being given to the writer’s father by M. Nicolet for the sum of 100 francs on January 6, 1975, if I’m understanding the French with only a knowledge of Latin.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The one with the hole in it is the standard tag used. It’s for Andre Nicolet.

The grid paper seems to be about the rifle being given to the writer’s father by M. Nicolet for the sum of 100 francs on January 6, 1975, if I’m understanding the French with only a knowledge of Latin.
    That's exactly what it says despite you knowing Latin vs. French.

The tag is Monsieur Nicolet's, the man who sold the rifle to the former owner. The tag doesn't really follow the standard format.
    Seems Andre Nicolet was born in 1924, though the "24" usually would come after M. Nicolet's name in the standard format. Seems he was with a battery, but I can't really make out much more than that.

The back side of the tag says either "(Touched or Affected) in February 6th, 1934"
    La Chaux De Fonds in Neuchatel Switzerland, is just a few miles from the French border southeast of Besancon.

So, it was likely sold out of service to Mr. Nicolet who then sold it to the owner who purchased it in 1975 for 100 Swiss Francs ($43.36 in 1975 dollars). They, or their estate sold it to one of the export companies in Switzerland recently who then bundled all of these private rifles together and exported them to US importers.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you guys for the translation and it’s meaning! I appreciate it.

I have had the rifle for awhile and never checked under the butt plate until yesterday afternoon.

I wasn’t even sure it was a real troop tag.

Once again, I appreciate the info!
    Thank you!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thank you guys for the translation and it’s meaning! I appreciate it.

I have had the rifle for awhile and never checked under the butt plate until yesterday afternoon.

I wasn’t even sure it was a real troop tag.

Once again, I appreciate the info!
    Thank you!
    No problem. The guys over at Rust and Verdigris (Swiss re-enactor group) can probably give you more information on the unit, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom