• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I have come into Garanditis, and further more have decided that I would like to get some AP ammo for it, but am a bit clueless.

1) Anything to look out for when buying sealed ammo cans?
    2) Are all 192 count ammo cans loaded with enblocs and bandoliers?
    3) Other than corrosive ammo, is there any thing else to look out for? Good manufactures, ok manufactures, bad manufactures?
    4) What was the going rate for surplus AP ammo, back before Obama part duex?

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The only thing to watch for is Korean ammo with a "K A" headstamp. That is corrosive. Aside from that, I'm not aware of any real "bad" M2 ball surplus. Also and somewhat obviously the surplus stuff won't be super accurate. If you do buy any commercial ammo, make sure it is Garand loads or loaded to M2 ball specs.

To the best of my knowledge all sealed 192rd spam cans have enblocs in bandoliers.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    M2AP ammo was around $1 per round on the CMP Forums.

If you want noncorrosive, go by the corrosive primer guide. All US manufacturers switched to noncorrosive by 1953 (except for some special match ammo). Norwegian AYP headstamped ammo is noncorrosive and turns up on the CMP Forums now and then. It is Berdan primed however, so brass is not easily reloadable.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Is there a reason you want AP ammo?

I shoot M2 Ball from the CMP. Ball is not AP.

Current CMP stuff is mixed headstamp HXP (Greek surplus), 200-205 rounds in a .30 caliber ammo can. This is good noncorrosive, reloadable stuff. About 54 cents a round including shipping. Loose rounds, no clips.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I've got some HXP on order, 5 cases. But the AP stuff just seems pretty amazing. I know it can only be fired in certain places, but I'm ok with that (and my 1k of M2 will last me a long time with how little I shoot).

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Well I paid a 10% premium over prepanic, but I've got a couple cases of US made non-corrosive 30'06 AP on the way for 110 cpr shipped. Not too bad considering they don't make this stuff anymore.

Add this to my HXP order and I'm on my way to having as much Garand food as I have AR food (ok, not in total, but at least per rifle). And I'm still planning on picking up more when the CMP releases Spam cans of the HXP and AP whenever the loose HXP runs dry (they aren't making M2 anymore, at least not at 50 cpr).

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE

I shoot M2 Ball from the CMP. Ball is not AP.

Current CMP stuff is mixed headstamp HXP (Greek surplus), 200-205 rounds in a .30 caliber ammo can. This is good noncorrosive, reloadable stuff. About 54 cents a round including shipping. Loose rounds, no clips.

CMP also sells new Hornady loaded specifically for the Garand; 500 rds for $425. I just got my second order yesterday.......:D

Jun 22, 2011
    Westminster

There is a long-held belief that M2 blacktip is more accurate than M2 ball. There may be somethng to it, because it was about all they shot at matches until the 1980's when it got scarce. Nowadays it goes for a premium.

Then again, it could be the whole "defeats class-III body armor" thing. These days such considerations are not unheard of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom