• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    I'd like to be able to shoot .22LR, 9mm, .223/5.56, 300 BLK, and .45 ACP suppressed. I'm looking at the Silencer Central Banish 46 that can obviously handle all of that but I have a question about the level of sound suppression when using this 46 can on a .223 vs a can specifically designed and sized for .223. In using a suppressor that can handle up to 45/70 caliber would I be sacrificing suppression performance on the smaller calibers? I've seen .22lr suppressors (much less expensive) that are Hollywood quiet and just wondering if I use the Banish 46 on my .22LR will it be as quiet?

Given how dirty .22LR is to shoot I might consider a can for that application and another for the larger bore guns. I just don't want to jump through all the hoops and wait for the Banish 46 to be disappointed when I use it on my .22LR firearms.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would go with a dedicated .22lr can for that use. One that can be disassembled and cleaned regularly.

shiza

Oct 16, 2020
    Carroll County
    If you can afford more than one definitely go with a dedicated .22 can. If not the Silencer Central Banish 46 or Sico hybrid 46 are good all arounders. Just make sure to get the different endcaps depending on what caliber you're shooting. It will knock down a couple db's.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    To each their own, but have checked out and demo-ed Silencer Centrals stuff, I'm not all that impressed especially for their cost. That model specifically is huge and relatively heavy. Pretty much a "factory form 1" can IMO. Everyone likes their favorites, but Sico, Rugged, YHM, Griffin, and DA all are better buys IMO. The problem is that performance for a pressure range, and mounting systems are going to probably be different for rimfire, pistol/PCC and rifle calibers. 22 is unique, and IMO more than any other doesn't work great through a "multi-caliber" can, and benefits the most from a rimfire can. I do have a Griffin Optimus, it is a 9mm rifle and rimfire rated can, it is huge compared to my 22 cans, and a great deal less efficient. Flat out for 22 rimfire, get a rimfire can, it will also be 1/2x28 direct thread.

For handgun calibers, you want a lighter weight can. I personally don't really care for suppressed handguns(other than rimfire), they get really unweildy, and aren't really all that quiet. Now pistol cans on PCCs are probably my favorite suppressor platform. That Banish at 20oz, 10" long and 1.75" in diameter is ginormous compared to most every pistol can. Rugged Obsidian is awesome, but there are a lot of others. I have a Sico 36M and love it, probably the can that handles Rifles up to 338LM and 9mm handguns well, most others work on one, and suck on the other. Modular mounts are nice for DT pistons/pistols, 3 lug or fixed DT on PCCs.

For rifle calibers, DT has to be torqued or checked all the time, 3 lug won't work, and most use some sort of QD mount. At rifle pressures the bore diameter matters more than it does at handgun pressures. IMO a 9mm through a 45 can sounds pretty good, main benefit of a 9mm can over a 45 is that it is smaller. In rifles there can be a big difference in a 223 through a 9mm bore vs a 22 bore, a smaller end cap does help. There is also backpressure to be aware of, and IMO 30cal rifle cans are the way to go for most everything 22 or 30 caliber. The lower backpressure with 5.56 is nice, and the right size bore for 300BO gives better performance. 22 through a 9mm can isn't terrible, but it is pretty loud through a 45 can. Rifle cans need to be tough to handle semi-auto and high pressure rounds, so they get big/heavy really quick. Most anything supersonic will be really loud, 300 subs are still kinda loud, on par with hot handgun loads through a can Sometimes a lighter/smaller K can that still isn't hearing safe, but makes it far more comfortable is a good thing to keep a rifle compact and well balanced.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    That’s a very wide range. The only way I see you being content across the board is caliber specific end caps and a modular body.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    Brand loyalty to SiCo aside... I truly think an Omega 46 (plus a few end caps) and Sparrow 22 would give you nearly everything you're looking for.

I shoot .223/5.56 from my Hybrid 46 with a Bravo .224 end cap and it sounds comparable to a dedicated .556 can. Also ran it on the end of an Arsenal Sam7F AK (7.62x39) to great effect.

The modularity of the Omega 46 with the right end caps means you can effectively use for pistols and rifles. The Sparrow comes apart for cleaning without fuss and can even run hot 5.7x28

Twist

Feb 17, 2023
    Annapolis
    Thanks guys, that's the kind of information I was looking for. I think I'm definitely looking for a can that is easy to disassemble and clean that supports different adapters for threads. In reality, I'll probably not suppress anything larger 9mm and one of the higher priorities is for a home defense weapon. That might be a 9mm suppressed pistol or more likely a AR platform in 300 blackout shooting subsonic ammo. The .22LR is for plinking fun and worth the extra tax stamp and price of the can just to have something that's Hollywood quiet :)

@alucard0822 I'll go research those brands you mentioned. Some I've heard of some not. Thanks for that thorough answer!

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I have two cans. A Rugged Obsidian 9 (modular, dissasembles for cleaning) rated for 9mm, .300BLK, .350 Legend, and .22LR. And I have a CGS Hydra SS rated for all rimfire to also include 5.7x28. Both cans are direct thread 1/2x28.

Yes, the rimfire dedicated can is smaller/lighter. However, side by side on 10/22 rifles, there is no perceptible difference when shooting CCI standard velocity. Because of that, I routinely use my Obsidian 9 on my rimfire rifles, and primarily use my Hydra SS on my rimfire pistols.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    ive been researching this as well and all roads keep leading me back to the same two cans that @crolfe1984 mentioned. i was initially looking at the omega 36m (some places silencerco list it as being able to handle the 350 legend (my main gun i'm looking to put one on at the moment), while others list it topping out at 338LM) but the 46 seems to cover this same range. i'm also somewhat stumped by why they say the lower range for the omega 36m is 5.56 NATO and the 46 is 22Hornet - aren't these bullets the same diameter? or are the ratings more based on the gasses/pressure than the bullet diameter? or just different ways of saying the same thing/ making the marketing look different?

but one thing i am sure of is that i dont want to shoot rimfire through a centerfire can, lots of cleaning apparently, and am looking at the sparrow for my 22 plinking and small game needs

edit: dang it that Obsidian 9 looks appealing too

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    but one thing i am sure of is that i dont want to shoot rimfire through a centerfire can, lots of cleaning apparently, and am looking at the sparrow for my 22 plinking and small game needs

If you can disassemble to clean it, shooting rimfire through a centerfire can is no issue.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    If you can disassemble to clean it, shooting rimfire through a centerfire can is no issue.
    hm good to know. like i said i'm learning, most people seem to say keep em separate. i also know how lazy i am/have no ultrasonic cleaner or any of those gadgets yet... the Obsidian 9 you mentioned has sent me down a new rabbit hole though

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    hm good to know. like i said i'm learning, most people seem to say keep em separate. i also know how lazy i am/have no ultrasonic cleaner or any of those gadgets yet... the Obsidian 9 you mentioned has sent me down a new rabbit hole though

You're welcome to come try mine at any time. Yes, it's bigger than my rimfire can. But on a rifle (such as, 10/22) it's not obnoxious. You can also run it in short configuration.

Would I run it on a rimfire pistol? No, now that would be obnoxious. Plus unless you have an optic you wouldn't be able to see your sights. Versus my rimfire can which is so thin you can still see factory iron sights.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    ive been researching this as well and all roads keep leading me back to the same two cans that @crolfe1984 mentioned. i was initially looking at the omega 36m (some places silencerco list it as being able to handle the 350 legend (my main gun i'm looking to put one on at the moment), while others list it topping out at 338LM) but the 46 seems to cover this same range. i'm also somewhat stumped by why they say the lower range for the omega 36m is 5.56 NATO and the 46 is 22Hornet - aren't these bullets the same diameter? or are the ratings more based on the gasses/pressure than the bullet diameter? or just different ways of saying the same thing/ making the marketing look different?

edit: dang it that Obsidian 9 looks appealing too
    I have the 36M, it's awesome, very good for basically any 22-9mm cal AR9/AR10/AR15. 350 Legend is officially a 10" min barrel length with supers, same as 5.56. 308/6.5creed is 16", magnum calibers are 20", 300BO supers/7.62x39 are 6" min, 300 subs and 9mm have no minimum. Not sure about the 5.56 vs 22 hornet rating, both cans can handle either, and have the same barrel length ratings. The 36M beats the 46m in dB performance for most every caliber that both can handle, and the 36M full inch shorter in both configs, and a couple oz lighter. I did shop both, and IMO unless you have a 45cal you have to suppress, get the 36M, better for everything 350/9mm and down. I do love the modular length, most of the time I use it in full size for 300BO, and 308, and in K size with a 22 flash hider end cap on 5.56 ARs, Like it in both lengths on 9mm PCCs. It is a sealed can, still can be cleaned by plugging the end and filling/soaking with CLR or the dip, but not really needed as long as you avoid hardcast bullets.

For 22, out of my rimfire cans, the Rugged Oculus is my favorite(I do have a DA Mask). It's the same idea with a modular K/full length configuration, but all steel, so cleaning is easy, just dump baffles in a bag of CLR into an ultrasonic, and 30-60min later they are spotless. Good example of why using multi-caliber rifle cans on 22s sucks. My 16" 10/22 is actually quieter with the Oculus in it's short 3"X 1" 4oz config than my Griffin Optimus 9 in it's standard 6.6"x1.35" 12oz config, even with the 22 end cap. THat is what makes it awesome, tiny can that makes a rifle pretty quiet, or a handgun hearing safe, so great for plinking or hunting. The long config makes rifles or handguns sound like a staplegun with subsonic ammo.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I more or less agree with alucard on his thoughts.

To add some context, a 223 through a 30 can is just fine. Quieter generally than a 223 through a 223 can. The issue is stepping up to 9mm and .45 cans for a .223 is that is a BIG bore opening. A caliber specific end cap is really needed, but the other issue is the internal baffles aren't going to be nearly as efficient.

A 223 can is going to have an open around .25-.28 through it, depending on the exact design. So you are talking somewhere around .03-.06" above the size of the bullet allowing hotter and faster gases to escape past the bullet, and the turbulence of that and what not will cut down on how much actually makes it past the bullet, versus getting trapped in each chamber in the suppressor, slowing, and cooling. A .223 through a 30 caliber can, is actually traveling down around a .32 opening, so now you are at around .100", which lets a lot more by, but generally a .30 caliber can has a lot more volume in exchange. Usually somewhat more than making up for extra blow by.

A 9mm can generally isn't really any larger volume than a .30 can, but now its got around a .38 hole through it, .15 larger than a .223 bullet.

A .45 caliber can tends to be larger volume than a 9mm can, but now its got a quarter inch larger hole through it than the .223 bullet!

And it gets worse, but you are comparing the area, as well as turbulence is going to be dramatically different, lowering the effect further. So that ~.25" larger hole, is actually around 100x greater area than the .03-.06" larger hole. A proper sized end cap is only going to help so much, because you still have just a huge amount of gas getting by the bullet.

A 9mm out of a .45 can the difference is just dramatically less than something like a .223 out of a .45 can, or even the difference between a .223 out of a 9mm and a 9mm out of a .45.

On the 9mm suppressing, most .45 cans are at least slightly quieter on a 9mm than a dedicated 9mm, and a 9mm end cap on a .45 can tends to reduce the SPL another 2-3dB. I don't bother swapping end caps on my Obsidian 45, because on 9mm it is already quiet enough and I figure I'll forget to swap back at some point and roast an end cap.

On suppressing a pistol, 45s just don't suppress well. Its a big ole bore, with a big ole bullet, and its a lot of gas, even if it isn't super high pressure. Most .45 cans, even with subsonic 45s (which are most) are barely going to be hearing safe. IMHO, the Obsidian 45 is one of THE best .45 cans on the market. Very light, very versatile as it'll shoot a few shots of basically anything that's a regular rifle caliber (no magnums!) with at least a 16" barrel. I would not want to mag dump with it, but hunting it would be fine.

With a 9mm, the Obsidian 45 is very quiet. It isn't 22 quiet, but its a TON quieter than a .223 through a .30 caliber can. You are talking low to mid 120s dB range. Compared to a subsonic 300BO that is going to be running probably the same out of an AR, or high 110s through a bolt gun.

I'd rate the Obsidian 45 as hearing safe on my Glock 21, but its loud. On my 21L (6.6" threaded barrel) its a little quieter. Not so loud I'd worry I needed hearing protection for a couple of magazines. I would not want to spend a range day running a case through either pistol with the can on and no ear pro. But just some dinky in ear plugs and its nice and quiet for the shooter. With my 9mms? Especially my Glock 34? Even with 115gr supersonic ammo is very quiet. The crack is the loudest sound, and probably still pretty hearing safe with that. With 147s? Its very quiet. I'd have no concerns running a case of ammo through it without ear pro on. The bullets hitting the target backers (3/4 ply) sound louder at 7yds than the gun firing does. Not as quiet as my 10/22 with rimfire can on it, but its pretty silly quiet.

Right now, my Obsidian 45 on my 9mms, and my 10/22 with my Element 2 are the only two guns I'll shoot suppressed without ear pro on, unless it is hunting (again, I know the Obsidian 45 on my 45s is hearing safe. For a round, but mid 130s range is louder than I really want to be pushing it. because sustained mid 130s will damage your hearing pretty quickly. I'll shoot it for a mag occasionally, but that is it. Even if it wouldn't cause hearing damage for a 100 round shooting session, well, I don't like loud things, so I don't like it. And I've compared to other guys 45 cans, the Obsidian 45 is noticeably quieter).

But I always double up, except with my 10/22 or buckmark. Those I'll just use in ear plugs. Without a can hunting, I'll use in ear plugs (electronic) whenever possible. I like my hearing. But with a can? Yeah, I have no problems without hearing protection for a shot or five. In theory all of my bolt guns are hearing safe with the silencers I have and the calibers I shoot. Still damned loud. Just WAY less damned loud than unsuppressed (my other other can is an Omega 300). But in ear plugs for a long shooting session are TON more comfortable than doubled up. Especially in the summer time.

The only problem is those rare times I am at the range and some guy decides he is using the bench next time mine and shooting a ported/braked 300 win mag. On go the ear muffs. Sigh.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    One thing you need to be aware of is s mount system. Figure ~$100 per gun. If you do go the one can route for multiple hosts, you will need different mounts/pistons/ thread pitches for most calibers.
    I have a hybrid that I have shot 9mm, 45, 308 and 45/70 through. Awesome can. But I have a parts box dedicated to it for all the mounts and end caps. Oh, and make sure you have the correct mount for the host, if you are using the multi-caliber can, to the range with you. I may or may not have forgotten the correct thread adaptor once.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Folks new to the "can" adventure, please be aware of Silencer Central’s, (IMHO) misleading marketing practice with regard to their 2022 and now 2023 Black Friday “special” featuring the Banish 22K "can", "a $465 value plus the tax stamp". The “K” is the key thing because I now know the "K" is code for compact. 3.25" instead of 5" in length and size does matter with cans. :-)

I should have procured a something like the Griffin 46 et al that was over $300 cheaper at the time instead of the the Banish 46 BOGO deal like I originally planned and used the money saved for a real 22 "can". The "free" 22 K is not worth the $200 tax stamp, IMHO.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a Dead Air, Thunderbeast, or even SC's Banish 22 from a price performance perspective.

I contacted SC with my issue and they refuse to make this right in any way shape or form. The worst part of this transaction is that I will now have to wait another 11 months for a decent 22 non Silencer Central "can" instead of buying one last year as I originally intended. Except for having to send paperwork twice to LEO for approval, they were OK to deal with.

I hope this helps someone avoid a rookie mistake.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Folks new to the "can" adventure, please be aware of Silencer Central’s, (IMHO) misleading marketing practice with regard to their 2022 and now 2023 Black Friday “special” featuring the Banish 22K "can", "a $465 value plus the tax stamp". The “K” is the key thing because I now know the "K" is code for compact. 3.25" instead of 5" in length and size does matter with cans. :-)

I should have procured a something like the Griffin 46 et al that was over $300 cheaper at the time instead of the the Banish 46 BOGO deal like I originally planned and used the money saved for a real 22 "can". The "free" 22 K is not worth the $200 tax stamp, IMHO.

If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a Dead Air, Thunderbeast, or even SC's Banish 22 from a price performance perspective.

I contacted SC with my issue and they refuse to make this right in any way shape or form. The worst part of this transaction is that I will now have to wait another 11 months for a decent 22 non Silencer Central "can" instead of buying one last year as I originally intended. Except for having to send paperwork twice to LEO for approval, they were OK to deal with.

Typically, all the “k” cans are the compact or smaller ones. Did you look at the specs?
    I haven’t seen the add so I don’t know how it was presented.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland

LoL so you bought a K can, didn't do your homework on what you were buying, and now you're blaming silencer central and stating they "refuse to make this right"... ROFL...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    LoL so you bought a K can, didn't do your homework on what you were buying, and now you're blaming silencer central and stating they "refuse to make this right"... ROFL...
    I love my Turbo K. I'd never give it up. Sometimes you need your gun to handle better than it suppresses. K cans are awesome.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Typically, all the “k” cans are the compact or smaller ones. Did you look at the specs?
    I haven’t seen the add so I don’t know how it was presented.
    The only can that SC shows is their Banish 22 on their site as of today and last year. There is also no online manual or spec for this can that I can find. Shame on me for not knowing that K means compact. My post was meant as a PSA. Draw your own conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom