• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

The case concerns Texas-based gun owner and licensed dealer Michael Cargill, who owned two bump stocks before the ban went into effect and later surrendered them to the government. He sued, claiming that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives lacked the legal authority to implement the prohibition.

The conservative-majority high court issued a major ruling in June 2022 that expanded gun rights, although the legal issues arising from the bump stocks ban are different.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Another article:

(ORDER LIST: 601 U.S.)
    FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2023
    CERTIORARI GRANTED

22-976 GARLAND, ATT'Y GEN., ET AL. V. CARGILL, MICHAEL
    23-3 COINBASE, INC. V. SUSKI, DAVID, ET AL.
    The petitions for writs of certiorari are granted.

22-842 NATIONAL RIFLE ASSN. OF AM. V. VULLO, MARIA T. The motion of Goldwater Institute for leave to file a brief as amicus curiae is denied. The petition for a writ of certiorari is granted limited to Question 1 presented by the petition.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Very good. And if this had - post Vegas - not been executively short circuited as it was into being merely regulatory, it would have been almost unchallengeable legislation instead.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Very good. And if this had - post Vegas - not been executively short circuited as it was into being merely regulatory, it would have been almost unchallengeable legislation instead.
    Not yet

I am hoping for a good outcome because of the Chevron deference case this term also.

There may be a twist or turn we haven't conceived yet.

The 22-284 case should get all of the industry partners attention as it deals with the likes of the government choking off lawful commerce it doesn't like.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Scotusblog describes both cases well enough for those who want to catch up

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Not yet

I am hoping for a good outcome because of the Chevron deference case this term also.

There may be a twist or turn we haven't conceived yet.

The 22-284 case should get all of the industry partners attention as it deals with the likes of the government choking off lawful commerce it doesn't like.
    A 22-284 case is a real barrel burner.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah. I never went there. My 6 bitchslap was bad enough. 6-284 body improved (basically a 284 shehane with a 6mm hole up front). Vicious on barrels.
    Is there a round that is good for 1000 yds and doesn’t kill barrels?

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Is there a round that is good for 1000 yds and doesn’t kill barrels?
    Is there a tire that gets great traction and lasts a whole day at the track?

Acceptable is a continuum. My 308 works fine and shoots very well. I am running Sierra 2156 (Palma bullet) at 2935avg (before anyone shits their knickers, the charge weight is 45.6 varget, well under the 47.0 published max, but I'm running lapua brass). 24in krieger. My old 30.5in krieger would do 3050 but I'm not saying what the load was except that it ain't published. The measurable wear in throat with the true Palma gun was significantly greater than the current load due to the powder I used (notoriously energetic but not nice to barrels) and the pressure I pushed it to. 3k or less rounds of peak accuracy then setback (with accompanying velocity loss) became a thing. I don't know what the current barrel/load will do as it is still under 2k and shows very little signs of damage.

The Palma gun wasn't really THAT much better for barrel life than my .260s (using civilized loads). 2k of great accuracy from a hawk hill and a brux seemed to be achievable with a 140 doing 2800. H4831. Call it a 50% increase in barrel life with the Palma gun and the loads were twitchy for many reasons.

I hung a new barrel on my old trg22 (308) when I started noticing flyers and some consistent velocity loss. I didn't own a scope at the time. Over 5k rounds but normal loads. The tube was a 20in and really struggled at 1000yds. Not the right tool for the job. A member here is currently running a 26in 308 tube on his origin and, based on chrono testing, I'd say he will do fine at 1000 using berger 185s. He will give up some drop and drift to a 260/6.5 that drives a higher bc bullet to higher speeds but he will get (conservatively) twice the barrel life or more. He is shooting for fun and doesn't care about winning a PRS match.

Now, the real truth is that you will shoot a LOT more money out the barrel in ammo than you spent on the barrel in the first place.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Now I feel guilty, I was just being an ass because someone mixed up a few numbers. I saw “22-284 case” and had to be a smart ass

22-842 NATIONAL RIFLE ASSN. OF AM. V. VULLO, MARIA T. The motion of Goldwater Institute for leave to…

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Now I feel guilty, I was just being an ass because someone mixed up a few numbers. I saw “22-284 case” and had to be a smart ass

22-842 NATIONAL RIFLE ASSN. OF AM. V. VULLO, MARIA T. The motion of Goldwater Institute for leave to…
    All good. Doc T and I should not be allowed to post in the same threads. We derail like it's our jobs.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The lawyer breaks down all 3 2A cases that the SCOTUS has taken this term.

I don't think he went into detail enough for Rahimi

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Is there a tire that gets great traction and lasts a whole day at the track?

Acceptable is a continuum. My 308 works fine and shoots very well. I am running Sierra 2156 (Palma bullet) at 2935avg (before anyone shits their knickers, the charge weight is 45.6 varget, well under the 47.0 published max, but I'm running lapua brass). 24in krieger. My old 30.5in krieger would do 3050 but I'm not saying what the load was except that it ain't published. The measurable wear in throat with the true Palma gun was significantly greater than the current load due to the powder I used (notoriously energetic but not nice to barrels) and the pressure I pushed it to. 3k or less rounds of peak accuracy then setback (with accompanying velocity loss) became a thing. I don't know what the current barrel/load will do as it is still under 2k and shows very little signs of damage.

The Palma gun wasn't really THAT much better for barrel life than my .260s (using civilized loads). 2k of great accuracy from a hawk hill and a brux seemed to be achievable with a 140 doing 2800. H4831. Call it a 50% increase in barrel life with the Palma gun and the loads were twitchy for many reasons.

I hung a new barrel on my old trg22 (308) when I started noticing flyers and some consistent velocity loss. I didn't own a scope at the time. Over 5k rounds but normal loads. The tube was a 20in and really struggled at 1000yds. Not the right tool for the job. A member here is currently running a 26in 308 tube on his origin and, based on chrono testing, I'd say he will do fine at 1000 using berger 185s. He will give up some drop and drift to a 260/6.5 that drives a higher bc bullet to higher speeds but he will get (conservatively) twice the barrel life or more. He is shooting for fun and doesn't care about winning a PRS match.

Now, the real truth is that you will shoot a LOT more money out the barrel in ammo than you spent on the barrel in the first place.
    As you may recall, my .260 loads are not terribly fast, but are accurate. I think my current barrel has 300 rounds through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom