Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    It is called political science as well as dictionaries.

Madison made a distinction between a republic and pure democracies at the time, 240 years ago. Democracy has, for a very, very, long time now included Republics in its definition and discussed the differences in the Federalist papers as you alluded to.

Even by Lincoln's time, politicians described our country has being a democracy (who happened to be a Republican and believed in Republican ideals, not pure democratic ideals).

The words didn't exist at the time for "direct democracy" "representative democracy" "theocratic democracy" "chartered democracy" "limited monarchial democracy", etc.

Republics fall under the umbrella of "Democracy", which again in the current plain meaning (and the meaning for a couple of centuries now, is a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives. By today's meaning, and by its meaning for the vast majority of our country's existence, the US is in fact a Democracy. Just not a direct one, but a Repubic and thus a representative democracy.

Did you go to school in 1780? Or was it that you didn't pay attention in grade school? Because you do seem to be lost on what the definition of a democracy is, and what a direct and representative democracy are.
    The republics of North Korea, China, and the former USSR would disagree with your assertion that all republics falls under the umbrella of democracy.

Democracy (indirect or direct) implies that the people have an ongoing say in their government. Republic only that the people initially consent to be governed (and one could argue the only universal way (applicable to all forms of republican government) to truly revoke that consent is via popular revolt.

Simply put, democracy is an active form of self-government, while republics may be active or passive.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Every time I see an update for this thread, my heart skips a beat and I get this glimmer of hope that I'll pull up this thread and there will be a link to good news for us.

Nope - it's just a bunch of folks trying to prove how much they know and arguing over semantics of something that they think is or isn't going to happen.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The republics of North Korea, China, and the former USSR would disagree with your assertion that all republics falls under the umbrella of democracy.
    To be fair, places like NK and China (and the former USSR as well as its current incarnation) very much PRETEND to include some democratic processes in the running of their republics. Everyone involved and all observers understand that in their cases, it's pure theater.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Every time I see an update for this thread, my heart skips a beat and I get this glimmer of hope that I'll pull up this thread and there will be a link to good news for us.

Nope - it's just a bunch of folks trying to prove how much they know and arguing over semantics of something that they think is or isn't going to happen.
    We all know we're in for a long wait yet. Examining the constitutional and historical environment in which this molasses-like issue is playing out is just about all we can do on the topic while we accept that it could well be many months more of foot-dragging.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    We all know we're in for a long wait yet. Examining the constitutional and historical environment in which this molasses-like issue is playing out is just about all we can do on the topic while we accept that it could well be many months more of foot-dragging.
    How long is too long?

The SCOTUS has warned about foot dragging.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland

Nah. I’m trying to prove how much I don’t know. So far I’m succeeding.

ZeroCool

Nov 8, 2006
    New PA Resident...
    I feel like it's inevitable that MD loses this case.

That said, how far can MD stretch this out with "games" once they lose? Can they do stupid things like implement a licensing scheme for their so called Assault Weapons that requires expensive courses, long wait times for processing and yearly renewals out of spit... er, I mean "public safety"?

They are playing with house money and there are no ramifications for their actions so what do they care? By the time it makes it through courts again they could even get a more favorable ruling.

Sigh, BGOS is so exhausting...

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I'll never find out what's going on with cases like this because of all the bickering in these threads. It's impossible to keep up with the actual goings-on with the case, and when you ask about it, invariably someone will say "Just read back 17 pages and you'll know". Sorry, I don't want to read through 17 pages of useless back and forth.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I'll never find out what's going on with cases like this because of all the bickering in these threads. It's impossible to keep up with the actual goings-on with the case, and when you ask about it, invariably someone will say "Just read back 17 pages and you'll know". Sorry, I don't want to read through 17 pages of useless back and forth.

No lies detected. Story checks out.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If you are an MSI member get on their Discord. DC-W et al run a channel just for case updates that you can't respond to.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Short answer: nothing is going on, at all. If there were, that’s what all the recent posts would be about. Don’t expect any updates of actual progress any time soon - it’s being deliberately dragged out. Any movement will be loudly covered.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

Maybe the fella who handles site coding could install a blinking feature so that a thread in question
    If you are an MSI member get on their Discord. DC-W et al run a channel just for case updates that you can't respond to.
    How easy is that?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Democracy (indirect or direct) implies that the people have an ongoing say in their government. Republic only that the people initially consent to be governed (and one could argue the only universal way (applicable to all forms of republican government) to truly revoke that consent is via popular revolt.

Simply put, democracy is an active form of self-government, while republics may be active or passive.
    But that is not currently what the definition of democracy is. It is an umbrella term.

Oh sure, some people abuse the language. Like the democratic people’s republic of Korea. Which is neither a republic, nor democratic.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Expect the bickering to stop once we have news. And then 30 pages dissecting and analyzing the news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom