Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    He was, and that would be the argument. But remember Bruen did not involve a firearms ban so the issue was not clearly presented. Arguably the majority's discussion of common use is dicta. Now, in a good court, SCT dicta is followed, but not in a court determined to reach the same result. Good lawyering is now at a premium. Fortunately, the lawyers in Bianchi are outstanding.
    One quick follow-on question: If one of the folks who see Bruen as having granted instant gratification gets themselves arrested for selling or buying an AK, would their legal process speed up the timeline for court review of the issues in Bianchi because it would now be tied to a criminal case ( and 6th Amendment speedy trial protections) rather than just the request for declarative and injunctive relief via the Bianchi case?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Thanks.

Any sense of the time frame for striking down mag limits and the HQL? Any hope to end registration of handguns by new residents, the roster, or the seven day wait?
    The HQL suit in which MSI is the lead plaintiff is currently in the 4th Circuit. It was held in abeyance pending Bruen. We now have a briefing schedule for this summer and that case will thus move forward. Mag limits in MD are not at issue, but are at issue in Duncan and Bruck which were likewise GVRed and sent back down for reconsideration under the test articulated in Bruen. That is a BFD, but it doesn't guarantee anything. The 7 day wait, the roster and the registration requirements are not at issue in any of these cases, so those will remain, at least for now. It would take a new lawsuit to challenge those requirements

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    One quick follow-on question: If one of the folks who see Bruen as having granted instant gratification gets themselves arrested for selling or buying an AK, would their legal process speed up the timeline for court review of the issues in Bianchi because it would now be tied to a criminal case rather than just the request for declarative and injunctive relief from a statute?
    Getting arrested now is just dumb. Won't help at all. For now, MD law remains in effect. Break it at your peril. Patience is a virtue here

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I really wish we could replace the term, "assault weapon," with the accurate description, "modern sporting rifle."

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Getting arrested now is just dumb. Won't help at all. For now, MD law remains in effect. Break it at your peril. Patience is a virtue here
    So remanded back we still are blocked? Why would all go back to prior until the court changes it? If things are status quo they can take their sweet time. If remanded the rule prior should be in affect. Fvck this crap

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I really wish we could replace the term, "assault weapon," with the accurate description, "modern sporting rifle."

I made a post elsewhere about the term Misused to describe the Sporting Rifles. I cringe every time I hear Assault Weapon.

Talk to your MD delegate. It is a legally defined term in MD.

Criminal Law 4-301(d) “Assault weapon” means:
    (1) an assault long gun;
    (2) an assault pistol; or
    (3) a copycat weapon.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I made a post elsewhere about the term Misused to describe the Sporting Rifles. I cringe every time I hear Assault Weapon.
    I first posted about the misnomer and how it worked against us back in 2013 when FSA2013 was being foisted upon us. It fell on deaf ears.

We, and conservatives in general, tend to let the Left change and control the language and terminology of every debate, which puts us on defense from the get-go.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

(1) an assault long gun;
    (3) a copycat weapon.
    We should have challenged it then.

Lalez

BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2019
    Russia
    I understand what you’re saying, I do. It does make sense “not to get arrested”.

However being afraid of the police leads to police states. When I moved from Maryland to FL in 2010 in my late 20’s, the first thing I noticed was that there weren’t police EVERYWHERE like there is in Maryland. Then gasp! I see my county sherrif on TV encouraging everyone to get CCW permits and firearms for home defense. I’m like “where the F am I?”. Not Maryland, or not in a police state no longer for better definition.

Point being, the SC just made the entire country defacto shall-issue. 25 states have Constitutional Carry. Until you Marylanders actually exercise your dam rights that the rest of the country exercises, well, simply put, you don’t have rights. So yea don’t do dumb shit and get arrested, but at some point you need to take risks or you will never have rights in that state.

Also in regards to patience, your state has been operating under an unconstitutional law for over 50 years now…patience is questionable

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I understand what you’re saying, I do. It does make sense “not to get arrested”.

However being afraid of the police leads to police states. When I moved from Maryland to FL in 2010 in my late 20’s, the first thing I noticed was that there weren’t police EVERYWHERE like there is in Maryland. Then gasp! I see my county sherrif on TV encouraging everyone to get CCW permits and firearms for home defense. I’m like “where the F am I?”. Not Maryland, or not in a police state no longer for better definition.

Point being, the SC just made the entire country defacto shall-issue. 25 states have Constitutional Carry. Until you Marylanders actually exercise your dam rights that the rest of the country exercises, well, simply put, you don’t have rights. So yea don’t do dumb shit and get arrested, but at some point you need to take risks or you will never have rights in that state.

Also in regards to patience, your state has been operating under an unconstitutional law for over 50 years now…patience is questionable
    We are going to get there. Soon I’m hoping. My point is not to get arrested when we are on the cusp of getting “may issue“ enjoined. Ditto for the AWB ban and the ban on so called LCMs. Lot of good lawyers working on this. we won a huge victory in the SCt in Bruen. Give the lawyers a chance to implement it And don’t acquire an arrest record in the meantime That’s dumb. And expensive cuz defense counsel aren’t cheap.

Last edited:

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    So remanded back we still are blocked? Why would all go back to prior until the court changes it? If things are status quo they can take their sweet time. If remanded the rule prior should be in affect. Fvck this crap
    Patience.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

Lalez, I know you are a pretty sharp cookie. SO, here is some reading material along with visual aids of some of our risk takers.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

@Lalez
    And
    1656649131039.png

Last edited:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    MD's carry law dates to 1973. NY's dates back to 1911, before a two thirds of the firearms in my safe were made. What's a few more months to methodically destroy the whole infringement architecture in a way that's going to result in a resilient and robust right to self defense for generations?

Law is the career field for those who would get motion sick being a geologist.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

(1) an assault long gun;
    (3) a copycat weapon.
    My prior point some days ago was that ALL freaking weapons are ASSAULT weapons. THE definition of WEAPON is something that can be used to assault something/someone. A kitchen knife, a chainsaw. motor vehicle, chihuahua, Axe, block of wood, and on and on.

BAD Law, that 4-301(d), WHO wrote the definition? I guarantee it was not one of us.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom