Supreme Court remits MD assault weapons ban back to lower courts in light of Bruen vs. NY ruling

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    You mean “SUPREME COURT 6-3 puts state in a corner” guy?
    Can’t stand him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's probably the worst guntuber in existence. He's also the guy writing Gunpolicy tweets, a dumpster account.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Smith uses the classic model: he tells you what he's going to say, then he says it, then he tells you what he said.

Mark W. Smith uses the style of giving a Lecture in law school , rather than entertainment patter . Perhaps because he is a professor of Constitutional Law in his day job .

Looks like I'm in the minority , because I usually prefer him to most of the other 2A law entertainers .

snakep

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Behind enemy lines...
    Mark W. Smith uses the style of giving a Lecture in law school , rather than entertainment patter . Perhaps because he is a professor of Constitutional Law in his day job .

Looks like I'm in the minority , because I usually prefer him to most of the other 2A law entertainers .
    Im with you. Of all of them I think he is the most informative. Washington Gun Law close second. Tom grieve and the armed attorneys down in TX also pretty good.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I some videos are a little long, but in general, he gives very good information.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    As @Bob A observes, Smith says everything three times which is SOP in order that it sink in to many of the low information folks tuning in. His info is generally quite good, not perfect, and Mark Pennak recently pointed out, but quite good.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Yeah, clickbait streamer video thumbnails combined with billable hours speaking mentality I think is where the hate is.

I’m a retarded/really low information person but my shtick has been searching the comments for someone to link an important timestamp or now that YouTube has that “most replayed” gradient in the video timeline to click on so I can skip out on 38 paragraphs of talking and just listen to three important sentences

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    so if four boxes diner or armed scholar are too long winded, who else would you recommend in their place?
    Hang out here and read the threads. By the time these guys have put their videos together, we have already read the ruling, parsed it, figured it out and discussed options. Sprinkle in a few corrections from Escappelet and you get better information in less time.

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Yeah. Have you ever looked at the repetitive nature of his video titles?

9f19b32f15ec96fa338b7ad9591e3fb6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All clickbait.

mreaston

Nov 10, 2013
    I don't mind Mark Smith (at 1.5 speed of course). He generally links the court documents in his description, which is convenient, and from time to time he has some interesting, unique takes. And I don't see any of the other Tubers giving speeches at the Federalist Society nor being cited in briefs.

dbledoc

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2013
    Howard County

I like Mark Smith. My son has actually sat down with him a few times when was meeting with the Federalist Society at Harvard.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Did 4CA do so , in the cited NC case ?
    Even in that case, the court filed an order stating that they were taking the case on initial en banc (dkt entry # 17). The case is Wise v. Circosta, 978 F.3d 93 (4th Cir. 2020), and it was a voting rights case and involved an an emergency injunction pending appeal which the en banc simply denied in an opinion that stressed the narrowness of the issue before the court. The court is always free to take a case en banc on its own motion, but when it does (which is very rare), it aways give notice that it has done so, as it did in Wise. That has not happened in Bianchi. It would be even more extraordinary in Bianchi as it a merits case that has been argued to a panel, not a mere motion. Such a case would need to be reargued before the entire en banc court.

Last edited:

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mark
    I would give more to the cause if I could but being on disability , I do not get much at all to begin with and after paying my bills I am lucky if I have $50 left over and I am down a few as well but I will send $$ when I can. In the mean time you have my thanks for all the hard work that you do..
    Doug

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

I like Mark/4BD. He tends to go on tangents, and sometimes tangents from tangents, but he always circles back to his original point and answers it. I also like that his videos are organized and the same format.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Mark
    I would give more to the cause if I could but being on disability , I do not get much at all to begin with and after paying my bills I am lucky if I have $50 left over and I am down a few as well but I will send $$ when I can. In the mean time you have my thanks for all the hard work that you do..
    Doug
    Thanks, you do much much more than most. Family and basics come first.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    I agree that Mark Smith's latest video doesn't tell us very much that we don't already know, or explain anything that we want explained (to paraphrase a quote from one of my favorite novels), but I don't get the hate for him. If he seems verbose, it's because he's approaching the topics the same way that most professors do: Considering his audience. His video probably seems long and a little repetitive to us because most of us have been following Bianchi vs. Frosh pretty closely for a long time, but he has to make these videos for folks outside of MD who aren't as well-informed and need the extra detail (and reinforcement of key points).

Armed Scholar, on the other hand - I agree that I'm sick of him, mostly because I get annoyed at his clickbait-y titles which always get my hopes up that there's been a breaking development at SCOTUS and/or a district court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    gdztoyz

Latest threads

Top Bottom