Suppressor / Tax Stamp - What to Keep on you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I don't think there is a federal requirement to have proof on you at all times - but you do have to produce proof if asked eventually. However, is there not state law that you have to be able to show LE that you have the stamp? IDK I might be wrong.

Also, while an RSO cannot be a rep of the ATF, can't a private entity have a policy that requires NFA owners to have proof?

That being said - if an RSO asks me for my stamp, if there is no range rule for that, yeah, in that case pound sand.
    No state law that I’ve ever heard of.

And if the range I’m frequenting demands to see it, I’m leaving and not returning.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Only the ATF can check up on them, say if you go to a range amd a RO ask to see your paperwork they have no right to ask for it, but if I do end up buying an NFA item I will probably end up keeping all the paperwork in the gun case along with the item

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I never had an RSO at AGC ask me for a copy of a tax stamp. I have had them ask me "what is that"? on a couple of occasions - but nothing further. I have not had any of my NFA items to any other range.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I never had an RSO at AGC ask me for a copy of a tax stamp. I have had them ask me "what is that"? on a couple of occasions - but nothing further. I have not had any of my NFA items to any other range.

That was probably out of curiosity (and maye a hint to try it out!)

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I keep a picture of it. That said, I’ve never been asked for it and my suppressor sits on an SBR, so it’s a two stamp deal. I’ve honestly stopped thinking about it.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    OP, I think my take would be while there may not be any law that says you MUST have proof with you at the time your are at the range with said NFA item, I would carry something (even if it's a cell phone image) with me. And while an RSO does not have the authority to enforce ATF regs, if they subsequently ask you to leave and if you don't , then you will have other issues. FWIW.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    it’s a tax-stamp. Proof that you paid a tax. It’s just as appropriate for an RSO or non-fed LEO to ask to see my income tax returns. In other words, totally inappropriate.

Any RSO who thinks they are entitled to my financial information can go sit and spin on the world’s spiniest cactus.

If a non-ATF or non-IRS agent asks to see my stamp, I’ll ask them what articulable reasonable suspicion do they have that a crime is taking place.

Why do we even need the ATF when we seem to have folks among us ready and willing to infringe and enforce non-existent requirements on our own?

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Do I just need an image of the tax stamp with me at all times of the whole Package?

Is it OK to just keep it on my phone?
    Part one= No.

Part 2 yes, but not required--ATF agent may not accept that...so they will need to wait until you can produce your paperwork on whatever schedule you agree with them on.

Question: Has ANYONE here ever been asked for their paperwork by a legitimate ATF agent?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    When I was younger and stupider, I offered to show a RSO my stamp. It was my first suppressor and first time shooting it. I didn't know any different. I just keep a copy on my phone. I have never been asked to see one.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    I keep paper copies of my stamps just in case - I don’t want to give any LEO access to my phone.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    And as I was browsing this thread, two more stamp approvals just arrived via email.

Early Christmas present! (After 200 days.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom