Students, administrators at DC’s Jackson-Reed High School debate Palestinian documentary screening

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    At least one DC Principal ain't falling for it, yet.

“As soon as I became fully aware of the situation, I took immediate action, including removing flyers promoting this unsanctioned activity,” Principal Brown said in a Dec. 18 message to the community. “I subsequently met with the club’s sponsor and the students, discussed the proper process for event approval, and reiterated clear expectations for the club moving forward.”

Even so, the group’s letter requests that Brown allow for the screening of the film because they believe the documentary helps to promote understanding “and awareness about the complexities surrounding Israel’s power and influence in shaping the American media’s reporting on its occupation of Palestinian territories.”

“We have taken measures to halt the dissemination of these messages,” Brown wrote, referring to online messages that were not school-sponsored and deceptive posts that used a #JRHS hashtag. He did not share the content of these social media posts in his statement.

“While we encourage students to form their own opinions and advocate for their beliefs, we will not tolerate messages of hate or division that aim to disrupt our inclusive community,” the principal said of the posts."

I'd watch it just for Shits & Giggles.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Make 'em watch Night and Fog first.

Education should show all sides of an issue, otherwise it's merely propaganda.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    There appears to be a history of attempted screening but under false and misleading circumstances.

Takoma Park made Wiki!

The documentary was scheduled to be shown at a community center in Takoma Park, Maryland, but was postponed for a month after the Jewish Community Relations Council (JCRC) of Washington protested the city government's sponsorship of the showing.[3] One resident wrote Mayor Kate Stewart, "I strongly believe that this film is not in keeping with the spirit or criteria for 'We are Takoma'/Takoma Park Arts. The films that are screened as part of Takoma Park Arts are supposed to be shown in conjunction with 'Docs in Progress.' Specifically, the Takoma Park Arts website states: 'Screenings feature documentaries on a wide range of topics, providing filmmakers with feedback from the audience on work in progress. The series is offered in partnership with Docs in Progress.' This film is not affiliated with Docs in Progress, and to my knowledge, the filmmakers will not be there to receive feedback from the audience. Thus, it appears that this screening doesn't even comply with the criteria for Takoma Park Arts film screenings."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom