• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    You gotta draw the line, and logging your identity is it.

I won't even agree to answer the "zip code, please" question while conducting a cash purchase.

We stop this nonsense one "contact" at a time.

Last edited:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have many times said, with a tone of exasperation, "You don't need that for a cash transaction," when asked for zip code or phone number. If I felt generous I'd sometimes say, "75206" for a zip code. Haven't been asked for a while. They simply don't need it. If they insist, I'd usually tell them to enter whatever they want.

I once spent 15 minutes arguing (in an empty store) about showing ID to buy my wife's cigarettes. The sign said "Under 28 show ID." I said, "I'm 40." She kept demanding ID. Finally I calculated the sales tax in my head (proof I'm over 40 right there), counted out exact change for the purchase and laid the cash on the counter. I told her, "There is the total amount. I'm taking these cigarettes. You do what you want." And I walked out with the purchase.

jspero

Aug 6, 2009
    One Foot Out The Door
    Nobody gets hands on my ID. I'll show it to them if they need to see it, but I will verify why first

This is my standard. You can see it if there is a good reason. No one scans my IDs unless it's absolutely required for some demonstrable reason.

This is especially tough for some doctor's offices to understand since I seem to be the only asking what they need it for and I have yet to hear a valid reason for copying it. From my own experience, asking "why do you need it?" CAN lead to policy changes, even at [local] government facilities.

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I like X-Ring Supply LLC in Newark, DE..thanks for the info about that one in Dover...

Personally, I'm not giving up anything unless I have to, OPSEC

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Sounds like BS to me.
    I can't imagine any FFL sending any info to the ATF that is not required. Why would they want to draw undue attention?

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I have many times said, with a tone of exasperation, "You don't need that for a cash transaction," when asked for zip code or phone number. If I felt generous I'd sometimes say, "75206" for a zip code. Haven't been asked for a while. They simply don't need it. If they insist, I'd usually tell them to enter whatever they want.

I once spent 15 minutes arguing (in an empty store) about showing ID to buy my wife's cigarettes. The sign said "Under 28 show ID." I said, "I'm 40." She kept demanding ID. Finally I calculated the sales tax in my head (proof I'm over 40 right there), counted out exact change for the purchase and laid the cash on the counter. I told her, "There is the total amount. I'm taking these cigarettes. You do what you want." And I walked out with the purchase.

Radio Shack had to be one of the all-time worst. They'd ask for your zip code just to buy a pack of AA batteries and then get butt-hurt when you refused to give it to them.

TAstro

Dec 8, 2015
    When I get out of this truck (loud 1998 international...) I will call the store and post an update

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Radio Shack had to be one of the all-time worst. They'd ask for your zip code just to buy a pack of AA batteries and then get butt-hurt when you refused to give it to them.

And look what it got them. Are any of them still around?

Mako

MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2016
    ES of MD
    Shooters Choice happens to be a range I am a member at, and in all honesty have never had any issues, every experience has been very good there. After I read this, I felt compelled to contact them to understand the license issue.

This is the response I got. "We use the data base for marketing purposes just like any other retail store. We also use driver's license info for when people use credit cards, to protect the consumer and ourselves from credit fraud. I would rather go out of business then report any more info than I absolutely have to, to the ATF."

This is the response I received and I can vouch that they do have an aggressive marketing campaign in the Delaware market, as I work in various retail stores throughout Central to Southern Delaware and was hearing ads in every other store on the radio. I do occasionally get mail and occasionally get emails in regards to specials as well.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Shooters Choice happens to be a range I am a member at, and in all honesty have never had any issues, every experience has been very good there. After I read this, I felt compelled to contact them to understand the license issue.

This is the response I got. "We use the data base for marketing purposes just like any other retail store. We also use driver's license info for when people use credit cards, to protect the consumer and ourselves from credit fraud. I would rather go out of business then report any more info than I absolutely have to, to the ATF."

This is the response I received and I can vouch that they do have an aggressive marketing campaign in the Delaware market, as I work in various retail stores throughout Central to Southern Delaware and was hearing ads in every other store on the radio. I do occasionally get mail and occasionally get emails in regards to specials as well.

Tell them to have their employees tell customers the truth and not some made up BS

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If they ask for my phone#, I just tell them sorry, I'm married - but not to be upset, because they're cute and someday they'll find a man.

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    I went to three different furniture stores to buy a set of bed rails. All wanted my complete contact information. I declined each and none would sell them to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom