• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    So there I was, happily blasting away with my Stoeger Uplander yesterday. Was planning on shooting a box of No. 8's, got halfway through them when I discovered that I couldn't open the action on it. No matter how much pressure I put on the barrel release lever, the gun would not break open. Thankfully the two shells that were loaded in the chambers were already fired, so I didn't have to deal with a loaded gun at that point. Cased the shotgun and brought it home.

I was finally able to get the barrels to break open last night, after pulling the stock and forearm from it. I had to force the safety bar (blue arrow) over the triggers (red arrow) because it appeared to be binding where it initially contacted them. Once the safety bar was slide over the top of the triggers, the barrel release lever would operate at its fullest range, allowing the locking lugs to release the barrels and swing open.

This morning I was examining the action more closely, the left trigger (red arrow) had some manufacturing crud that somehow fell between it and the frame, which prevented it almost unnoticeably from laying flat and allowing the safety bar to slide over it. I cleaned it up and now that trigger lays flat and the safety bar will slide over the triggers when operating the barrel release lever.

I had read that the auto safety is set on these shotguns when you cock them. Not true, the barrel release lever itself sets the safety but it must be able to operate in it's full range, in order to push the safety bar over the triggers, you can follow that linkage in the below photo. Barrel release lever operates the barrel unlocking cams; the backside of that cam (green arrow) depresses the springed rod (orange arrow) which then engages the safety bar . Anyway, hope this helps someone with a stubborn Stoeger.

Stoeger.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom