• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan

NRA Life Member MSI Supporter
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2007
    The application no longer requires the employer for references. Required elements all have an asterisk in them.
    I just logged into my MSP account and revisited my W&C app which I started 3 weeks ago and the "Employer" section is still there and a requirement.

Then I started a new W&C app and it's still there, maybe I'm missing something, do tell.

SigFan

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    They ONLY removed G&S. The rest is in place until it can be changed by the legislature. Don’t expect changes to the app for a year.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    I checked back in to MDS after Bruen, and this thread is on point. If you live in MoCO, work for a big corp., and only have local friends/acquaintances drawn from where you exist (i.e., upper income MoCo and the office), then you will be hard pressed to find 3x people *in MD* to agree to be a reference for an eebil gunz permit, not to mention potential career issues if your anti-gun boss gets contacted (not sure if mine is, we only talk about, you know, work issues).

I can get my out-of-state buddies to do it- but does anyone know if the references have to be in-state? This is literally the one thing holding up my application.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I checked back in to MDS after Bruen, and this thread is on point. If you live in MoCO, work for a big corp., and only have local friends/acquaintances drawn from where you exist (i.e., upper income MoCo and the office), then you will be hard pressed to find 3x people *in MD* to agree to be a reference for an eebil gunz permit, not to mention potential career issues if your anti-gun boss gets contacted (not sure if mine is, we only talk about, you know, work issues).

I can get my out-of-state buddies to do it- but does anyone know if the references have to be in-state? This is literally the one thing holding up my application.
    They just need people who know you. State doesn’t matter.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    No one knows me and I like it like that.

I would be very hard pressed to fine one reference, let alone three.
    Reminds me of “Better Call Saul” where he had 5 different cell phones with labels on them and pretended to be different people answering each phone. Don’t do that here though!

It did remind me of that though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No one knows me and I like it like that.

I would be very hard pressed to fine one reference, let alone three.
    Put me down. I’ll say you give a great reach-around, and everyone at the bathhouse thinks you’re a stand-up guy. As long as you pass the background check, they can’t deny you.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    idk, I spoke with a few more recent graduates of the Special Permission Academy today and the opinion was mixed. "They don't call them or ask questions" seemed to be the consensus. I suspect that the practice has varied with the political winds. Of course, MDSP reads this board, so opinions here will influence the results. I give a 30% chance that they call references. a)they are crushed; b) they never discover anything; c) what they do discover would be grounds for a lawsuit if denied especially if d) they are inconsistent. Bruen was clear that the process needs to be objective and leave nothing to the discretion of law enforcement. If I was betting, I'd bet that they keep up appearances and require it, but don't really call.

People who submitted 6/27 are now being assigned investigators. We will find out very soon.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Not to mention the 1983 civil liability for the poor sap that denies the permit. I wouldn’t want to sign off on a denial unless I had absolutely nothing in my own name.

Probably wouldn’t want to be an investigator either because they could be liable under 1983 as part of a civil conspiracy.

I won’t give legal advice here, but if I were a trooper reviewing/signing off on permit applications it would be wise to get some legal counsel before denying like the good ole days.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I do not have problems giving references because I get to choose whom I list. It is the employer/supervisor requirement that I object to because I do not know if they are 2A supporters or not.

Cal68

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    idk, I spoke with a few more recent graduates of the Special Permission Academy today and the opinion was mixed. "They don't call them or ask questions" seemed to be the consensus. I suspect that the practice has varied with the political winds. Of course, MDSP reads this board, so opinions here will influence the results. I give a 30% chance that they call references. a)they are crushed; b) they never discover anything; c) what they do discover would be grounds for a lawsuit if denied especially if d) they are inconsistent. Bruen was clear that the process needs to be objective and leave nothing to the discretion of law enforcement. If I was betting, I'd bet that they keep up appearances and require it, but don't really call.

People who submitted 6/27 are now being assigned investigators. We will find out very soon.
    We will see...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom