• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I picked up a bolt-action 350 Legend (Savage Axis II) for deer season this year. I got it dialed in with some quality reloads (25.2 gr. IMR-4227, Hornady 165 gr. FTX) that shoot 1” groups.

However, the bolt sticks when ejecting spent casings and I can’t figure out why. When ejecting a spent shell, it’s tough to open the bolt. Almost like a Mosin that doesn’t have all of the cosmoline cleaned out of the bore. It’s not the gun because I had some Winchester target rounds and they ejected normally. The bolt only sticks with my reloads.

I think it’s either my new case lube (RCBS), my crimp (medium crimp with Lee factory crimp die), or over trimming the case too short. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

FWIW, I wiped off the cases before shooting them and I trimmed with the Lee Quick Trim (which is factory-set).

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I picked up a bolt-action 350 Legend (Savage Axis II) for deer season this year. I got it dialed in with some quality reloads (25.2 gr. IMR-4227, Hornady 165 gr. FTX) that shoot 1” groups.

However, the bolt sticks when ejecting spent casings and I can’t figure out why. When ejecting a spent shell, it’s tough to open the bolt. Almost like a Mosin that doesn’t have all of the cosmoline cleaned out of the bore. It’s not the gun because I had some Winchester target rounds and they ejected normally. The bolt only sticks with my reloads.

I think it’s either my new case lube (RCBS), my crimp (medium crimp with Lee factory crimp die), or over trimming the case too short. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

FWIW, I wiped off the cases before shooting them and I trimmed with the Lee Quick Trim (which is factory-set).
    Have you examined the primers for signs of overpressure? Used a micrometer to measure for case head/web expansion? Applied dykem to a loaded round and then examined the case post-firing to identify the friction area(s)?

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    How is it with factory loads? I can say that there is lots of info out there with improper cut Savage 300L chambers.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    The primers did not show signs of over pressure. I worked a ladder from 24 gr. to 25.2 gr. The max load is listed as 25.7 gr.

I have not used a micrometer to measure for case expansion - that’s a good idea.

That’s a great idea on the dykem. What I don’t understand though is they feed fine from the magazine - it’s not tough to close the bolt, only to open the bolt to eject a spent casing.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    How is it with factory loads? I can say that there is lots of info out there with improper cut Savage 300L chambers.
    With factory loads it worked 100% fine. I can’t say the Winchester target ammo was shooting 1” groups, but they cycled just fine.

I’ll have to look into the improper cut chambers online. Thanks!

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    There's a few possibilities but I'm going with some sort of pressure issue. It is entirely possible to redline below published max charge.

One thing that will be very evident is frosted cases coming out of a rough chamber. You can examine the chamber with a light and a bore scope or a jewelers loupe to confirm.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code

What brass are you using?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It may not be your reloads. I had a Ruger Precision Rifle that had an extremely sticky bolt because the chamber wasn't cut correctly.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    There's a few possibilities but I'm going with some sort of pressure issue. It is entirely possible to redline below published max charge.

One thing that will be very evident is frosted cases coming out of a rough chamber. You can examine the chamber with a light and a bore scope or a jewelers loupe to confirm.
    Well this is embarrassing: I looked at the brass again, this time looking at the primers more closely and they are all flat as a pancake. I’m leaning toward over pressure.

Now I wonder if my crimp was too tight. Could that lead to overpressure as well,

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Well this is embarrassing: I looked at the brass again, this time looking at the primers more closely and they are all flat as a pancake. I’m leaning toward over pressure.

Now I wonder if my crimp was too tight. Could that lead to overpressure as well,
    Normally it isn't possible to crimp hard enough to induce an overpressure event and still chamber the round (based on experience with bottleneck and straightwall).

One thing you haven't commented on is the CBTO measurements of your handloads as compared to the factory ammo. I've seen that cause more than a few problems over the years. Usually when the pills are in or near the rifling. I start most of my match and some of my varmint bullets jammed hard but that's not how you should be running your railroad for hunting ammo.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    This is what I get for reloading a “new” cartridge. Looks like the Hornady book (latest edition that I got specifically because it includes the 350 Legend) shows a max charge of 25.7 grains, but Hodgon’s website shows a max charge of 25.2, which is where I was.

I’ll check my COAL, but I know when I measured I dialed in my dies to be dead nuts on where it needed to be.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Classic sign of overpressure. Stop and reevaluate at that point, especially if factory ammo is fine. Sticky bolt lift is a big red flag when reloading. Always consult multiple resources when working up a load. I have a wealth of 'factory load data'. Truth be known, loads are all over the place in many cases from one load manual to another, do your homework carefully and chrono your loads to be sure of your velocities. This is the only pressure reference you have to correlate to, other than programs like GRT that can be pretty accurate in predicting pressure curves (IF you feed them the right info).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lol, just popped on the 350 L Facebook page
    74e85b066b990a1a4f789c8a7e24d29a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads