• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WSJ

Jan 11, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Oops, should have read further before replying since about 8 people beat me to that one. Me, I like the wood stocks. But if I had an heirloom Tenite stocked gun I'd sure keep it and use it like it was supposed to be used.

xmkm

Sep 23, 2009
    Oildale Ca
    A couple photos, finally (I hope!).

This shotgun is a 20 gauge SxS, 28" bbls, hammerless, double trigger, with a case hardened receiver marked 'J Stevens Arms Company, Chicopee Falls, Mass. USA.'

It was apparently made between 1931 and 1941, probably in the latter half of that range based on august1410s's research and conclusion that later models did not have the pointing setter engraving on the receiver. This one is marked on the buttstock, forearm and receiver with 'A' & 'B,' each within a circle. It has no serial #, is not marked '311' (presumably pre-Savage purchase of Stevens).

Mine has an aftermarket recoil pad, decent wood under a chipped finish, good bluing and case hardening colors, mediocre checkering (that's still sharp despite being so-so), and a very tight action (lever is at about 5 o'clock and minimal wear on internal and wear surfaces). I'm going to replace the recoil pad and strip the stock and oil finish it to show off the very nice piece of wood in it.

Hope this helps others looking for a reference. -WSJ

I have a 12 gauge that looks very similar. Next to the "J. Stevens Arms Company" there is an engraved dog that's pointing.

I just had it out and was shooting it yesterday...a lot of fun.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Number 50 on Field and Stream's 50 Best Shotguns! The Stevens 311/5100!

The Workingman’s Double
    Stevens 311
    Produced: 1931–1989
    When I write about a gun that costs more than $500, Crabby Old Guys put pencil to lined paper and give me what for: “I’ve owned the same Stevens double-barrel that cost me $78 in 1962 and it’s killed more game than you’ll ever see,” and so on. Here’s a salute to the chunky but dead-reliable 311 and the frugal people who own them. You could buy the 311 at Sears under the J.C. Higgins name, too. It’s been the first gun of countless hunters, and the only gun of many others

xmkm

Sep 23, 2009
    Oildale Ca
    Number 50 on Field and Stream's 50 Best Shotguns! The Stevens 311/5100!

The Workingman’s Double
    Stevens 311
    Produced: 1931–1989
    When I write about a gun that costs more than $500, Crabby Old Guys put pencil to lined paper and give me what for: “I’ve owned the same Stevens double-barrel that cost me $78 in 1962 and it’s killed more game than you’ll ever see,” and so on. Here’s a salute to the chunky but dead-reliable 311 and the frugal people who own them. You could buy the 311 at Sears under the J.C. Higgins name, too. It’s been the first gun of countless hunters, and the only gun of many others

That's good. I've also got a JC Higgins bolt action 16 gauge. I think that's a pretty cool gun too. Don't see that many bolt action 16 gauges around too much any more.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Well, I tried to make it look vintage...:)

Attachments

• Stevens.jpg
      Stevens.jpg
      48.1 KB · Views: 123

JayElliott

Nov 20, 2020
    Chesapeake Beach
    J Steven Arms and Tool Co.

I'm not sure if this thread is still active but i do have a similar gun that was given to me after a relative passed. Missing parts and cannot find good information on it due to the records fire in the early 1900's. Here is what i have and pics to follow:

J. Steven Arm and Tool Co.
    S/n: either 0996 or 9660
    SxS, Double Trigger

Firing pin and other "innards" missing. Anyone have some knowledge of age and whether I would be able to find parts to get this back to operating condition?

Attachments

• J Stevens1.jpg
      J Stevens1.jpg
      68.2 KB · Views: 94
    • J Stevens2.jpg
      J Stevens2.jpg
      61 KB · Views: 114
    • J Stevens3.jpg
      J Stevens3.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 94

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts