• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Sorry of this has been covered elsewhere but I haven't been able to find it.
    Looking at the final version, they kept the addition to 4-110 which prohibits steel projectiles. I looked on the MGA site and there is no 4-110 under criminal law so I have 3 questions:
    1) Is 4-110 a new section?
    2) Is there any exception for waterfowl hunting (I didn't see one)
    3) Does this mean duck hunting is now illegal in MD and MD waters?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    1. yes.
    2. the section only sets punishment for people who possess that type of ammo in the commission of a crime of violence. you are ok as long as you aren't robbing or raping.
    3. no. continue to hunt with steel shot.

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Looking at the final version, they kept the addition to 4-110 . . . Does this mean duck hunting is now illegal in MD and MD waters?

Not unless you are planning to hunt ducks while robbing a bank or such.

See the bill summary here, paragraph no. 14.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, I am an avid waterfowler with the labrador, hundreds of decoys, Benelli SBE, Columbia gear, layout blinds, etc.

We are fine to duck hunt. You can even commit a DNR violation with the non-lead shot and still not have to worry about the additional penalties related to using non-lead shot in the commission of a crime of violence.

As mentioned already, it only applies when non-lead core ammo is used in the commission of a crime of violence. So, before committing a crime of violence with your shotgun, make sure you check what ammo you have in it. If you are intent on murdering somebody and getting a life sentence or more, because we cannot give anybody the death sentence anymore, make especially sure you do not have steel shot, Hevi-Shot, etc. in the shotgun because then you will be hit with an additional five years on top of the life sentence or two that you receive.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    :lol:

ddean did a FANTASTIC job... everyone should read his thread and post their appreciation.

Actually, thanks to both of you guys. For being in Annapolis and for breaking down the bill in layman's terms. When I get some time and energy, I'm going to see if the summary catches everything. This 4 hour sleep stuff is killing me. Come on April 16th.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    . If you are intent on murdering somebody and getting a life sentence or more, because we cannot give anybody the death sentence anymore, make especially sure you do not have steel shot, Hevi-Shot, etc. in the shotgun because then you will be hit with an additional five years on top of the life sentence or two that you receive.

Thank God we can't execute criminals now but law abiding citizens are penalized for being .. well..law abiding.

whew !

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    Yeah, I am an avid waterfowler with the labrador, hundreds of decoys, Benelli SBE, Columbia gear, layout blinds, etc.

We are fine to duck hunt. You can even commit a DNR violation with the non-lead shot and still not have to worry about the additional penalties related to using non-lead shot in the commission of a crime of violence.

As mentioned already, it only applies when non-lead core ammo is used in the commission of a crime of violence. So, before committing a crime of violence with your shotgun, make sure you check what ammo you have in it. If you are intent on murdering somebody and getting a life sentence or more, because we cannot give anybody the death sentence anymore, make especially sure you do not have steel shot, Hevi-Shot, etc. in the shotgun because then you will be hit with an additional five years on top of the life sentence or two that you receive.

There's very important wording in the bill that states or in "response" to a crime of violence. If you have non-load core ammo in your gun when someone breaks into your house and attacks your family, you would be guilty.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    So this is MD and defending yourself with deadly force is iffy when someone intrudes into your home. What if you had steel loads in your shotgun when you had to defend yourself? If you got jail time, would this subsection of the law apply? Things like this are my fears with this particular portion of the law...

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    There's very important wording in the bill that states or in "response" to a crime of violence. If you have non-load core ammo in your gun when someone breaks into your house and attacks your family, you would be guilty.

Here is the language from the enrolled bill:

(B) A PERSON MAY NOT, DURING AND IN RELATION TO THE COMMISSION OF A CRIME OF VIOLENCE AS DEFINED IN § 14–101 OF THIS ARTICLE, POSSESS OR USE RESTRICTED FIREARM AMMUNITION.

(C) A PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR AND ON CONVICTION IS SUBJECT TO IMPRISONMENT NOT EXCEEDING 5 YEARS OR A FINE NOT EXCEEDING $5,000 OR BOTH.

Yeah, the person has to be using restricted firearms ammunition during the commission of a crime of violence or in relation to committing a crime of violence.

Me validly shooting an intruder in self defense with solid core bullets will be just fine per the language of the law. Not only that, but I would love to see a jury convict somebody when the shooting is legitimate self defense, but I still do not think the law would be applicable anyway.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    So this is MD and defending yourself with deadly force is iffy when someone intrudes into your home. What if you had steel loads in your shotgun when you had to defend yourself? If you got jail time, would this subsection of the law apply? Things like this are my fears with this particular portion of the law...

See my post above. It is completely fine to use solid core bullets in defending yourself. Just make sure that the self defense argument is entirely valid. I will have no qualms whatsoever about shooting an intruder in my house with whatever I happen to have loaded in the gun at the time.

I should post a sign outside stating that. I really hope I NEVER have to even deal with an intruder.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    Thanks. I'm always concerned about things like this. Even more so now. So what if, in theory, I could make it to the bathroom and hole up there instead of standing in my doorway to defend my wife (who will be in the bathroom on the phone with 911). If I make a stand there and use force, will there be consequences?

I pray I never have to deal with an intruder. I think I should brush up on MD law re: home defense, though.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks. I'm always concerned about things like this. Even more so now. So what if, in theory, I could make it to the bathroom and hole up there instead of standing in my doorway to defend my wife (who will be in the bathroom on the phone with 911). If I make a stand there and use force, will there be consequences?

I pray I never have to deal with an intruder. I think I should brush up on MD law re: home defense, though.

If the person is an unwanted intruder, meaning not your mother in-law that you get into an argument with after she was invited into your house, then you can shoot that person as soon as they enter your house. If you have retreated into the bathroom of your house with your wife, are you really going to be worried about the law at that point? Fire away if your life is in danger and let the chips fall where they may. That being said, you should be just fine if you retreat to the bathroom and kill an intruder. Actually, in your home there is no requirement that you retreat. Now, out in public, you must attempt to retreat before using deadly force. The law becomes much more in-depth when you are outside of your home and faced with a situation.

The above is based on Maryland law. Every state is different. Florida is much different than Maryland. So is Texas.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    1. yes.
    2. the section only sets punishment for people who possess that type of ammo in the commission of a crime of violence. you are ok as long as you aren't robbing or raping.
    3. no. continue to hunt with steel shot.

You're damned right I'll continue to hunt with steel shot! I much rather roll the dice with MD compared to the Feds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom