• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I saw this video last night. A muzzleloader guy on YouTube asked CCI at the latest NRA convention what’s up with caps. Thought some of you might find it interesting. I guess if you need caps, keep an eye out in the next few months and load up. Just leave some for me… He briefly mentions Remington caps too so maybe they are made at the same place?

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    Big lesson - stock up when you have the chance. This is news?

Your sentiment makes sense for those that were already black powder shooters. But anyone getting into it in the last 2 or 3 years probably has had trouble finding caps. Got a cap and ball for Christmas? Good luck.

Not sure if you watched the video but the news is CCI is planning to ramp up pre Covid levels of cap production. It just hasn’t been a priority for them for at least the last couple of years.

I loaded up when I heard Bass Pro was going to stop carrying #11 caps and they were on sale.

As an aside, I want to try some RWS caps but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a tin in person and if they are available online, I never catch them in stock.

I’ve been so out of the loop I didn’t even know Goex shut down and another company bought them and will be resuming production if they haven’t already.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I don’t know how to link it but If you go to to that guys channel and then posts he mentions how CCI/Remington are under Vista outdoors. Which if I remember right, basically killed Remington as a brand..

He also talked about RWS and how they may have stopped making caps.

Just going off what he said and he seems to have inside contacts.

It’s so bizarre to me. Muzzleloading is big in Europe from what I understand and even here in the US. Not like center fire, though. Maybe for a lot of people that own a percussion arm, a tin of caps will last them forever.

Pedersoli and Uberti offer tons of percussion arms. One would think they might want to start their own production or future generations won’t buy them unless they just want to look at them.

I have a kit on the way that’s a flintlock. Good timing I guess….

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I think I have plenty of copper sheet, a cap punch, mercury, and the ability to make mercury fulminate, so maybe I should get busy.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I think I have plenty of copper sheet, a cap punch, mercury, and the ability to make mercury fulminate, so maybe I should get busy.
    Get a percussion cap maker:

#10 caps

#11 caps

Article on cap making:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Get a percussion cap maker:

#10 caps

#11 caps

Article on cap making:
    Did you take a peek in my gunroom? That's my kit, plus copper and mercury. Just need the time.

Gordon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2011
    Baltimore City
    My friend spoke with CCI rep in regards to primers and how expensive they are and the rep reported that it’s pure greed. CCI did not increase the cost.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    RWS is making caps, but the demand right now is for primers. Something about a war in Ukraine...

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    My friend spoke with CCI rep in regards to primers and how expensive they are and the rep reported that it’s pure greed. CCI did not increase the cost.

The cost for dealers has doubled and then some since 2019. from $40/1000 w/hazmat basically included to almost or a little more than $100/1000 + hazmat. It's unsustainable unless you buy in bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom