• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Got a buddy at work that wants to start shooting for hunting. I don't know much about what's decent out there these days. I've only ever had two bows - a Bear Whitetail II and a PSE Stinger 3G. I'd recommend a Stinger in a heartbeat (more bow than I've ever needed) but they are like $500 now (I think I paid $300 a few years ago).

Any recommendations for something that he can start with but will serve his needs? Preferably a few different brands/models of similar level that he can shop/compare. Compound.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Best bet is to hit a few local shops and try different bows. All the major players have budget, mid tier, and premium price range models. What I like or would recommend is subjective, as is the next persons opinion. Decide on the price point and go from there.

When I started back up everyone on the internet was raging about a solid back wall. When I started shooting I found I didn’t care about that so much. I like a little forgiveness in finding my anchor point and a solid back wall didn’t sit for me. Bear, Elite, Matthews, Bowtech, PSE, are all very good.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Best bet is to hit a few local shops and try different bows. All the major players have budget, mid tier, and premium price range models. What I like or would recommend is subjective, as is the next persons opinion. Decide on the price point and go from there.

When I started back up everyone on the internet was raging about a solid back wall. When I started shooting I found I didn’t care about that so much. I like a little forgiveness in finding my anchor point and a solid back wall didn’t sit for me. Bear, Elite, Matthews, Bowtech, PSE, are all very good.

****The above is good advice. IME one of the biggest mistakes new folks getting into archery make is buying the hardest draw strength they can seemingly pull back maybe once and then they're done or just tear a rotator cuff, etc.. You're probably better off learning the fundamentals of shooting with something *much* more manageable until you have experience and to get a feel for different cams and sights, stabilizers, etc..

Recurves, compounds, primitive archery type bows, etc.. all have their place and there's somewhat of a learning curve with each.

Hunting wise will be contingent upon a variety of factors of course (stand, or moving around in bushy or heavily forested areas, etc.. )

If possible, getting out to a range with a couple of different bows or if you know someone that belongs to something like an Izaak Walton League they often have beginner classes and generally have a bunch of different bows to try out on their target ranges.

I have bows from Browning, BowTech, Barnett and others and much depends on what kind of target or hunting one wishes to do as well as budget of course. Buying used can often save you significant money as often folks will also include accessories like arrows, quivers, sights, etc...

Below is a pick of a short armed hunting bow I've used and it has some nice cams and sights that work well for my needs if I am in the woods. It's set up for my draw length and is relatively mild pull of 55 lbs with a cam setup that allows for pretty rapid shots if needed and not so difficult to hold for longer distance shots, repeated target shooting, etc..

Lots of options out there. Definitely go to a couple of stores or if possible hook up with a class or someone with access to a range and see what works best.

Good luck

Attachments

• bow1.jpg
      bow1.jpg
      19.9 KB · Views: 266
    • bow2.jpg
      bow2.jpg
      19.5 KB · Views: 264

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    How much a purest does he want to be? Never shot a xbow until last year......... I'm 3 for 3 one shot kills. I was like DAMN, this thing is powerful!

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    What is his goal? To be able to hunt during archery season or hunt with a bow?

If he is just looking to open up the timeframe for being able to hunt. I suggest getting a crossbow, they are easy to learn and are accurate with minimal tuning.

If he wants to shoot a compound bow or traditional bow, I suggest going to a local archery shop and learning some of the basic about draw length. The Mission series are great bows. So are Diamond bows. A little more information about what his goal are will get you more detailed advices. But look at getting a flagship model that are a few years old.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Most pro shops have a decent selection of modern used bows. If your friend is of average height and strength, he should be able to find something that fits. And I agree with others, he should shop where he can shoot several bows. There is no 'one fits all' bow.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Appreciate the feedback all.

He's interested from both a pure archery and a hunting perspective. Mostly he just wants to try it I think, with the intent of being able to bowhunt eventually.

Not sure what got him interested - he doesn't come from a hunting background although he has hunted with others a few times I think.

I gave much the same advice to him and also forwarded some of the cited brands for starter bows. We'll see if he jumps in.

In the meantime, his interest resparked my own interest. I'm building a backstop to try to start shooting out beyond 30 yards. Had the kids out shooting arrows with their little bows too!

OldBay

Apr 26, 2020
    MD
    I'm a relatively new hunter and just got started last year. Bought a Hoyt Torrex, ready to hunt, from Lancaster Archery for ~$900. Kept it simple, with #60lbs and no flashy gear. I learned wind is EVERYTHING and gear is secondary. In my first season, I shot 3 does and learned from a friend how to butcher. I still have a few steaks in the freezer. Grateful to have these skills now.

My advice to your friend is buy any bow that feels good in his budget and encourage him to find a mentor. He can be successful with any bow if he practices, takes advice, and most importantly, hunts the wind.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I'm a relatively new hunter and just got started last year. Bought a Hoyt Torrex, ready to hunt, from Lancaster Archery for ~$900. Kept it simple, with #60lbs and no flashy gear. I learned wind is EVERYTHING and gear is secondary. In my first season, I shot 3 does and learned from a friend how to butcher. I still have a few steaks in the freezer. Grateful to have these skills now.

My advice to your friend is buy any bow that feels good in his budget and encourage him to find a mentor. He can be successful with any bow if he practices, takes advice, and most importantly, hunts the wind.

Damn how times/prices have changed!! Hard to imagine that I got my PSE Stinger with everything on it for $300 just a few years ago!

I got the Cabelas Archery wishbone in the mail yesterday, and flipped through it - I don't think there is a single thing on sale in the whole 120 pages!

I pointed him to several local shops (as well as Lancaster) and also the Hartford Bowmen archery club.

Great success story Oldbay. I love to hear about hunters that get into it later in life are successful, and also go all the way to learn how to butcher/process. For me, processing is as much a part of it as the hunt/take. If you've never taken a year to a butcher, fortunately or unfortunately, you'll never know how much better a product you are getting by doing it yourself. Good on you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom