• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    This would be my first AR15 thus looking to buy complete firearm rather than build one. Also since this is Maryland, it needs to be heavy barrel. I'm not sure what are good makes and models to look at. I'm thinking of staying 18" or 20" barrel. Is Stag Arms 3G looks a good brand? I'm left handed so part of the appeal was possibly their 3GL version?

I probably go down to Engage Armament or Atlantic Firearms or other nearby gun shops to check out whatever models you guys suggest looking at. Budget is $1200 mark. It would be mostly for home defense and range plinking. Not sure if I'd take it out to competition shooting such as 3-gun or 2-gun? I would mind finding something that I could use my handgun and AR15 in competition/shooting sports. Thank you for your feedback!

Leo

EXIT WOUND

Sep 22, 2011
    This would be my first AR15 thus looking to buy complete firearm rather than build one. Also since this is Maryland, it needs to be heavy barrel. I'm not sure what are good makes and models to look at. I'm thinking of staying 18" or 20" barrel. Is Stag Arms 3G looks a good brand? I'm left handed so part of the appeal was possibly their 3GL version?

I probably go down to Engage Armament or Atlantic Firearms or other nearby gun shops to check out whatever models you guys suggest looking at. Budget is $1200 mark. It would be mostly for home defense and range plinking. Not sure if I'd take it out to competition shooting such as 3-gun or 2-gun? I would mind finding something that I could use my handgun and AR15 in competition/shooting sports. Thank you for your feedback!

Leo
    Stag Arms is a solid AR. Good Choice. Don't get the Rugers. I've been looking at them and they are put together pretty shabby. Elite Firearms has a good selection on stags as well.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have the stag 18” 3g about 10 years old. Changed some parts over the years but the barrel , bolt and receiver set are all original and it shoots sub 1/2 MOA with non match ammo.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I have a Stag 3G 18" and a 24" 6G (bull barrel). Both fine weapons. The 'bang' switch has worked every time.
    Pictured is the 18" with optional New Balance accessory. :) Have since removed the light, the stubby handle, and the large scope.

Now have a SIG Romeo 5 red dot. Have the weight down to 6.5 lbs.

027.JPG

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Thank you to all who responded. Glad to hear that Stag isn't a bad choice!

RRomig, glad to hear that they are accurate too! Not sure what I'd shoot through it but I have a ton of lake city 556 brass and bunch of hornady 55gr sp w/c to reload for it!!!!

ezracer, I was also thinking of putting a red dot on the Stag AR as well. Not sure which red dot some out loud thoughts for red dots would be Burris FF3, Venom or Holosun, along with some iron/peep sights.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Actually Stag Arms started out as Continental Machine Tool up in New England making M-16's
    for the military in the early 60's. The two sons of the owner started Stag Arms making civilian AR-15's. They are basically right in the middle between high end gun makers and low end makers.
    They are quality made and offer a lot of bang for the buck.

You also absolutely "CANNOT" go wrong with a Springfield Armory Saint or a S&W M&P 15.
    Isn't gun shopping FUN!!! I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom