Springfield 1911 DS vs Walther PDP Match?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrinkwrap

MDS Supporter
    Apr 30, 2012
    MoCo
    I am jonesing for a 2011 pistol and have looked at (of course) the Staccato, which is amazing - so is the price, so I'd rather avoid that. I was wondering what the consensus is between the Springfield 1911 DS and the Walther PDP? Trigger, reliability, accuracy, etc?

Also, I have checked out the Live Free Armory Apollo 11, which I really like; it is not yet available in the People's Republic. Any idea when it might become available?

ant

May 12, 2020
    The lfa Apollo based on reviews is the closest to real 2011 the budget ones have been minus the Mac 9 ds. You can find them both around 850+- if you put the skus in gundeals. The Apollo will have the better trigger as apparently the qc on that has been bad for the budget 2011s except that 1. You can also get a tisas duty or carry ds for around 620 on the same site which will likely have a crappy trigger and won't be bull Barrel but will likely shoot close to as good. The pdp is similar to canik with good triggers and high bore axis which a bunch of the YouTubers complain about it being snappy. It's definitely going to be in comparison to any 2011 clone. As far as the prodigy goes it's over priced for no reason other than paying for the Springfield Branding. It has the bull Barrel and a great grip frame but you can get the bull Barrel from the Mac 9 and you could also just buy the prodigy grip and swap it if you wanted too

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Don't forget Bul Armory, they should already be on the roster. I wouldn't compare my Walther PDP PRO SD directly to a 2011, definitely a different cup of tea. The Walther is reliable and does have a decent trigger, but it simply isn't as flat shooting and smooth as a 2011 offering.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The PDP isn't a 2011, so I'm not sure what you're talking about, OP.

Personal opinion, buy a cheap Turkish 2011 and then swap out the externals with an Atlas/EGW ignition kit, maybe fit a new trigger, too. Slide fit won't be as good as a "nice" 2011, but it'll shoot.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    So alot of guntubers are calling the Springfield Prodigy the best entry level budget 2011. I intend on getting one myself. Don't fall for the MIM nonsense, 99% of shooters aren't going to break MIM parts. Hell most of your striker guns are MIM anyway.
    A budget entry into the 2011 is also the TISAS 9mm 1911 DS/Double Stack. I have already submitted it to the review board, It is very likely to succeed, the board has said they dont need a sample because it's essentially a cosmetic change of pre-existing approved models. You'd need to submit the MAC model (another TISAS spin off product) to have it added.
    But the prodigy is already approved. I am waiting to get through this chemo and hopefully back to work so I can do some overtime to afford one.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I am jonesing for a 2011 pistol and have looked at (of course) the Staccato, which is amazing - so is the price, so I'd rather avoid that. I was wondering what the consensus is between the Springfield 1911 DS and the Walther PDP? Trigger, reliability, accuracy, etc?

Also, I have checked out the Live Free Armory Apollo 11, which I really like; it is not yet available in the People's Republic. Any idea when it might become available?
    The older STIs are smoother than the current staccato offerings (flame away, but it's true). If you want a 2011ish gun at a lower price, do the tisas thing and a few parts swaps/polishing/tuning. Not bad from the couple I've shot that reasonably knowledgeable guys fitted. Not a Springfield fan. I've considered 2011s several times but always come back to cz and eaa, personally.
    The PDP isn't a 2011, so I'm not sure what you're talking about, OP.

Personal opinion, buy a cheap Turkish 2011 and then swap out the externals with an Atlas/EGW ignition kit, maybe fit a new trigger, too. Slide fit won't be as good as a "nice" 2011, but it'll shoot.
    Agree with this.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Slide fit is over-rated, too. As long as it isn't causing problems, whatever, wobbly-ass slide isn't the end of the world. Too tight, on the other hand, has bit me once or twice.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well the gun is real and an option I suppose.
    It's an option, but I personally think Para mags are a dead end at this point. The market has moved to STI mags for the most part.

BUL used to be a great budget recommendation, but their guns have gone way up in price over the past few years. Quality has gone up, too, but they're not low priced. A dark horse play might be buying an old BUL M-5 off GB - they take modern BUL magazines, and they're still decent enough shooters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom