• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -A good friend here on MDS recently reminded me that when one door closes another opens. Last spring I was up at Redding Auction, dropping off a consignment of rifles and pistols and took the time to browse the catalog for their next firearm auction. Among the hundreds of rifles was a stunning Springfield 1903 NRA Sporter rifle. Rarely do I see what I consider to be a 99 point example but this one was just that perfect. So put on my big boy pants and filled out an absentee bid form as I had an engagement that I couldn't break the day of the auction. The bid wasn't my usual 80 point effort but what I considered to be on the high side of market.
    -Come Monday if crossed my fingers, hoping to get a happy call from Redding's office staff. But the call was to let me know I wasn't successful. Never did find out what it sold for but now I knew what wouldn't get the job done. Yikes! If that wasn't enough what was?
    -Fast forward to the last couple of weeks. Somd_mustangs and are are chatting via email and we've both noticed that there are a surprising number of Springfield 1903 examples of all types hitting the auction market. One or more very impressive Springfield focused collections to be sure. The first of these were in that I would call a second or third tier auction house. One that doesn't specialize in firearms or have a firm customer base in the market. In the past one of my cardinal rules for successful auction bidding is to "go where the competition isn't". In this case having an auction house that's off the radar of many other competitors is a huge plus. Add to that the fact that there were quite a few 1903 filled lots so a bit of something for everyone. Nice in that we're not all fighing over a small number of choice examples.
    -I pull out my copy of Brophy to get a reminder of all the specific features of a NRA Sporter and have at it. In the end there's really only one example that I know in my heart is genuine, not a "tribute" or copy. Even though I lost my last copy of the Springfield Research list when I moved many years ago and cannot verify that the SN is on the NRA Sporter list I plow on.
    -Luck is again on my side in that this lot is in the back of the catalog, one of the last to come up for sale. Always a plus for buyers (and not so much if you're selling, you want your stuff listed early in the catalog when everyone has a full wallet). So I'm so shocked to have it sell to me for below half the price that I bid on the 99 point example @ Redding. Mind you this one isn't a 99 point example but it's not far below that. I'd put it in the 96-98 point range, very well loved and cared for in its 97 year life.
    -So while waiting for the BBT to arrive I reach out to Smokeaterpilot, the one person I know will be able to assist me with provenance. He's kind enough to reply that yes indeed it's a genuine example and even gives me the name of the person that it sold to though the old DCM: Major D A Lehman of Harrisburg IL. I'm still on the hunt for info on Major Lehman and hopefully will be able to glean a bit more about him.
    -She arrived yesterday, well packed and in much better condition than the auction photos purported. A wonderful surprise and a challenge to photograph with crisp, dark American walnut stock. Just like the Springfield 1922 trainer that I love so much, you have to hold one of these to see just how amazing the quality of workmanship is. I have not doubt it'll shot just as well as my beloved 1922s. A keeper!
    -After the release of the Model 1922 the Springfield Armory was asked to consider building a 1903 using the same style stock as the 1922. The result had the designation Rifle, US, Caliber .30, Model 1903, sporting type, star-gauged, fitted with Lyman No 48 receiver sight.
    -The barrel has the same profile as the .22 cal 1922 barrel, was star-gauged & tested with the star-gauge mark stamped on the muzzle. It was chambered to National Match dimensions. For a time you could order one with drilled & tapped for scope blocks.
    -The stock deleted the 1922 finger grooves and added two reinforcing bolts. The nickel steel bolt was polished and had the SN electro penciled. The butt plate was the the same as used on the 1922, a thick, curved steel plate. Not to be confused with the flat plate used on the later 1922 M1 and M2.
    -Finish was commercial grade bluing, not parkerized. This from Brophy's The Springfield 1903 Rifles, a description from SA of the finish ...
    "The barrel and receiver assembly are browned. The floor plate, guard, butt swivel, screws, butt plate screws, guard screws front and rear, and lower band pin are niter-blued. The sear, sleeve, trigger, floor plate catch, follower and ejector are oil blackened. All components not mentioned here have the same final finish as the Service Rifle."
    -The 1903 NRA Sporter initially sold for $49.50 with the price later dropping to $42.50. Approx. 5500 were built between 1925 and 1938. What helped kill off the NRA Sporter was the fact that while it filled an un-met demand for a quality .30 caliber target rifle in the mid 20s, Winchester and Remington came along later with their own quality sporting rifles and were not happy to compete with the US government.

Attachments

• IMGP0121.JPG
      IMGP0121.JPG
      118.9 KB · Views: 140
    • IMGP0122-001.JPG
      IMGP0122-001.JPG
      122.9 KB · Views: 136
    • IMGP0123.JPG
      IMGP0123.JPG
      209.4 KB · Views: 140
    • IMGP0124.JPG
      IMGP0124.JPG
      194 KB · Views: 137
    • IMGP0125.JPG
      IMGP0125.JPG
      359.3 KB · Views: 137
    • IMGP0126.JPG
      IMGP0126.JPG
      158.8 KB · Views: 128
    • IMGP0128.JPG
      IMGP0128.JPG
      87.5 KB · Views: 122
    • IMGP0129.JPG
      IMGP0129.JPG
      203.1 KB · Views: 135
    • IMGP0133.JPG
      IMGP0133.JPG
      254.6 KB · Views: 122
    • IMGP0134.JPG
      IMGP0134.JPG
      300.1 KB · Views: 129
    Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Additional photos... You have to look closely to see the star-gauge mark located at the 6 o'clock position on the muzzle crown.

Attachments

• IMGP0130.JPG
      IMGP0130.JPG
      349.9 KB · Views: 89
    • IMGP0132.JPG
      IMGP0132.JPG
      101.7 KB · Views: 86

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome!
    Glad it worked out and is better than expected.
    I've been blessed to have Ross National Match quality rifles in the safe but never anything US built in centerfire. The Springfield Model 1922 is the closest to this and I adore my M1922s. A strong candidate for the last rifle to leave my safe. Now I've got a bug up my bum to seek out a 1903 National Match. But have other fish to fry on the near horizon (which you already know about).

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome find Mawkie, absolutely love the sporter rifles from that era.
    Augie, the build quality on this rifle is truly commercial grade. Beautiful bluing and Springfield was building barrels of match grade quality. Word is that it was rare to have a Springfield barrel fail a star gauge test because they had the rifling process perfected. When you think about it, the idea that the Springfield Arsenal was making rifles for sale and that they were every bit the equal of what Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc were producing is startling. But the arsenal wanted to keep their best craftsmen working and paid at a time when the need for military arms was weak.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    They were true craftsmen working at Springfield Armory building rifles. That's on reason why the government contracted with Remington and Winchester for M1917s during WWI as the Springfield craftsmen were unused to mass production techniques and the '03 rifle itself was not designed to made in any way but high quality and finishing. The later '03A3 was probably a horror to old time Springfield Armory folks. It was Remington who suggested the changes to speed production and the Army agreed.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Augie, the build quality on this rifle is truly commercial grade. Beautiful bluing and Springfield was building barrels of match grade quality. Word is that it was rare to have a Springfield barrel fail a star gauge test because they had the rifling process perfected. When you think about it, the idea that the Springfield Arsenal was making rifles for sale and that they were every bit the equal of what Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc were producing is startling. But the arsenal wanted to keep their best craftsmen working and paid at a time when the need for military arms was weak.

Your rifle is so good because of how original it is and high condition. Many of the Sporter's were modified over the years, checkering done to original stock, stock replaced with custom stock, holes drilled for sights or scopes, etc. To find one like yours is a grail.

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Gorgeous example Mawkie!
    You might enjoy this. Very early discussion of the NRA sporter being referred to as an "Officer's model." Initially denied but we know that didn't last long.

NHYQ4nvl.jpg

tf36C0wl.jpg

VpsXqIEl.jpg

077B3bHl.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Gorgeous example Mawkie!
    You might enjoy this. Very early discussion of the NRA sporter being referred to as an "Officer's model." Initially denied but we know that didn't last long.

NHYQ4nvl.jpg

tf36C0wl.jpg

VpsXqIEl.jpg

077B3bHl.jpg
    Thanks so very much for taking the time to post. Explains much. I never thought of the connection of the TD Officer's model to the 1903 NRA. Makes sense now.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    BTW, a nice depository of info on the 1903 sporting arms, besides Brophy, is Clark Campbell's The 03 Springfields. While he does a decent job of covering the service rifle portion of the 1903 where he shines is on the examples built post-WWI for competition. Lots of interesting stuff. For example: When the new 1903A1 stock was adopted Col. Studler recommended a longer than normal 13.5" stock pull for the NRA Sporter 1903s. The idea being that with the tang-free, flat mounting surface of the shotgun type butt plate it would be easy for the owner to shorten the stock to their desired length.

Last edited:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Great rifle and history, probably one of the best if not the best as far as my interest go I have observed on the forum.
    A range report would be even better.
    That rifle was made for shooting I’m sure.
    It would be wonderful to understand how well it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom