• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -This search felt like it took forever, which is close to correct. The Springfield 1903 .22 Gallery Gun had eluded me for decades. They're not crazy rare, coming to market on a semi regular basis. But I was always a day late and a dollar short. Then Amoskeag Auction in New England posted two examples in their last auction. Perfect timing at last as Redding Auction had just mailed my check from the last batch of guns I consigned. So I had the money and the opportunity. I put in a firm bid on my first choice and it went to me for $200 under that. Yay!
    -But the Hoffer-Thompson design requires a cartridge carrier and those didn't come with this lot. But luckily they're much easier to find as 20 were originally issued with each rifle. Plus plenty were in inventory when the Army dropped the boom on the H-T in favor of the superior Springfield 1922. At around $100 each carriers ain't cheap and I decided to purchase just a couple along with the tool that pushes out the spent brass.
    -The Springfield 1903 .22 Gallery Gun was designed by Majors Jay Hoffer and John Thompson (yes, the same Thompson of "Tommy Gun" fame) to replace the .22 Krag trainers with a rifle that handled much like a 1903 in .30-06. They were assembled with second class parts and early receivers. A new .22 barrel was installed along with a weaker mainspring and taller front sight. The receiver was stamped ".22" to warn the user. A .22 short round was loaded through the cut-out in the carrier. Then the carriers were treated as if they were .30-06 rounds. They could be stripper clip loaded and ejected in the same manner. Handy in teaching recruits how to load and operate a 1903 without the cost of centerfire ammo.
    -Problems cropped up quickly as the corrosive .22 Lesmok black powder ammo of that period caused all kinds of loading/unloading issues. Bad enough that it was recommended that carriers be cleaned and stored in kerosene to keep them from rusting. Also the end of the carrier was susceptible to denting which ruined accuracy.
    -In the end the H-T was found lacking and the search started for a replacement which came in the form of the classic Springfield Model 1922 (which also beat out the new Winchester Model 52, another legendary rifle). Most of the H-T rifles were rebarrelled and put back into service chambered again for .30-06. So surviving H-Ts aren't common.

Attachments

• IMGP9946.JPG
      IMGP9946.JPG
      115.8 KB · Views: 90
    • IMGP9947.JPG
      IMGP9947.JPG
      113.6 KB · Views: 83
    • IMGP9948.JPG
      IMGP9948.JPG
      197.9 KB · Views: 77
    • IMGP9949.JPG
      IMGP9949.JPG
      327.5 KB · Views: 83
    • IMGP9952.JPG
      IMGP9952.JPG
      209.6 KB · Views: 86
    • IMGP9953.JPG
      IMGP9953.JPG
      218.5 KB · Views: 92
    • IMGP9954.JPG
      IMGP9954.JPG
      329.8 KB · Views: 82
    • IMGP9955.JPG
      IMGP9955.JPG
      120.2 KB · Views: 81
    • IMGP9956.JPG
      IMGP9956.JPG
      145.3 KB · Views: 84
    • IMGP9957.JPG
      IMGP9957.JPG
      181.6 KB · Views: 88

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    So they essentially made a chamber adapter and re-barreled 03s to .22. Interesting trainer there. A 1922 has been on my list but whenever I've seen them they've been too rich for my blood. Given the issues noted its clear why they were replaced

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Nice score! I love ‘03 rifles. There are far more variations to them than most realize. I used to own one rare variation…a factory ’03 in .45 ACP…only a very few were built as discussed in Brophy’s book on the 1903. Kinda like to still have it but got stupid money for it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I remember reading about that rare .45 ACP conversion. Easy to believe it would bring a whole lotta coin.
    If you have to own just one .22 trainer, and this from someone who owns damned near everything, it's a Springfield Model 1922. Didn't start there but eventually got together the coin to get one and at the first range session I was hooked. They're fantastic and worth every cent. Expensive? Not so sure when you compare them to a 40-X or a Winnie 52D. And KKWs are rarely found sub $1K. Forget Enfield No8s, they're now in the mid teens with Enfield No7s going for even more.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Picked up a 1933 Parker Hale catalog at the last MACA show and it was worth every penny for the neat stuff listed that I never knew existed. Perfect example is the PH copy of the H-T cartridge carrier system. PH did a conversion of Lee Enfields to end up with the same system. They installed a .22 liner in the .303 barrel, pretty much what they did for No2 MKIV trainers. But with the .303 chamber intact to support the carrier. And they had the same issues with corrosion. In their case they recommended submerging the carrier in paraffin in place of oil/kerosene. They also had a nifty hand press to remove the spent brass hulls in place of the hand tool that Springfield issued.

Attachments

• IMG_20230412_055846609.jpg
      IMG_20230412_055846609.jpg
      262.3 KB · Views: 41
    • IMG_20230412_055920161-001.jpg
      IMG_20230412_055920161-001.jpg
      253.3 KB · Views: 42
    Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Also found an article by John Spangler about American gallery guns. Very informative. Below is a photo taken from the article where a cadet is emptying a H-T carrier at a UCONN indoor gallery in the early 20s.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 16-48-10 2017-B116-Military-Marksmanship.pdf.png
      Screenshot 2023-03-28 at 16-48-10 2017-B116-Military-Marksmanship.pdf.png
      54.1 KB · Views: 48
    • 2017-B116-Military-Marksmanship.pdf
      1.8 MB · Views: 69

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Evey once in a while I see the H/T carriers come up for sale but sometimes I get all that confused with the dotterer system for the SA rifles. Next time I see the .22 carriers I'll grab them. They show up on Spanglers web page every so often as you probably already know.
    I also frequently shoot my mark IV and m22 rifles. I have another SMLE with the old barrel liner from Numrich that does double duty and recently helped another member fitting up the 22 liner to one of his rifles.
    They're a great fun to shoot and the SMLE's if you dont mind single loading are really fun to go on with.
    My absolute favorite though is BSA m15 for 22's. A league for target shooting/range fun and extremely accurate.
    That's a very nice rifle you have there and the early inspector mark is rarely seen at least for all the 03 rifles I look for.
    Thanks for sharing, great catch.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I remember reading about that rare .45 ACP conversion. Easy to believe it would bring a whole lotta coin.
    If you have to own just one .22 trainer, and this from someone who owns damned near everything, it's a Springfield Model 1922. Didn't start there but eventually got together the coin to get one and at the first range session I was hooked. They're fantastic and worth every cent. Expensive? Not so sure when you compare them to a 40-X or a Winnie 52D. And KKWs are rarely found sub $1K. Forget Enfield No8s, they're now in the mid teens with Enfield No7s going for even more.

I found that .45 '03 at the Timonium gun show some years ago. An older fellow had it on his table and I knew it was different when I saw it. He said he had it for years and it "shot real good". We made a deal and I was quite happy with it...great overall shape. I contacted Bruce Canfield and he said there was no way to appraise it...there were so very few made and almost never for sale on the market to give any kind of value.

I did end up selling it some years later...it paid for a year's college tuition and expenses for my daughter so it was worth it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Really cool, never seen one of those before. Are you going to shoot it?
    Ah, the $64K question. The bore is surprisingly good, a rariety for a H-T as most are found with dark, pitted tubes. Maybe just once for the experience. And take the MAS 36 Tir Reduit as well. It's the masochist in me.

Attachments

• IMGP8195.JPG
      IMGP8195.JPG
      54.6 KB · Views: 50
    • 63116-07d5d583086d26e582c797487a49e591.jpg
      63116-07d5d583086d26e582c797487a49e591.jpg
      74.5 KB · Views: 49

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Ah, the $64K question. The bore is surprisingly good, a rariety for a H-T as most are found with dark, pitted tubes. Maybe just once for the experience. And take the MAS 36 Tir Reduit as well. It's the masochist in me.
    Just dont clean it. I think that's what a large consensus of knowledgeable people agree on for managing 22 rifles.(just kidding).
    Hell Yeah Id shoot it! Any problems,:wtf: just send it back to the manufacturer.

cfhook58

Apr 20, 2023
    Gettysburg, PA
    Reddings just had two Springfield '03 22s go through in the Apr 16 auction. I had just bought a M1 Carbine so didn't have the funds to bid. Would have loved one of them!!!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Reddings just had two Springfield '03 22s go through in the Apr 16 auction. I had just bought a M1 Carbine so didn't have the funds to bid. Would have loved one of them!!!
    While Springfield M1922s aren't cheap at least they aren't rare. The hardest part of getting one is having the cash, you don't need to wait forever. And most examples I've seen are in good or better condition. It's rare to find one unloved.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    While Springfield M1922s aren't cheap at least they aren't rare. The hardest part of getting one is having the cash, you don't need to wait forever. And most examples I've seen are in good or better condition. It's rare to find one unloved.

Very true...you'll find them well used but not abused...and still performing as good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom