• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Looking for a replacement piston for the Gas Valve

The skinny part of the shaft appears straight and I've clean the piston and the chamber, but it still wants to stick.
    The head of the piston with the threads appears to have some scuffs, so this is what I suspect is causing the problems.

Contacted CNC Warrior, but he's not sure his Yugo replacement would work.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Get with me tomorrow afternoon(after 6). I'm going to the gun bash from 11-6 but I hve both prts in a drawer. A new piston and a yugo replacement valve( although I think I agree with cnc warrior). I'll pm you my number. If you bring your gun over I'll see if I see anything odd.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Get with me tomorrow afternoon(after 6). I'm going to the gun bash from 11-6 but I hve both prts in a drawer. A new piston and a yugo replacement valve( although I think I agree with cnc warrior). I'll pm you my number. If you bring your gun over I'll see if I see anything odd.

PM'd you a thanks, but you certainly deserve a public Thanks for you generous offer.:party29:
    Your offer actually woke me up to just pulling the piston out of my YUGO 59/66 and seeing how that fit. It falls right out of the Yugo, but sticks in the Chinese, so it looks like either I wasn't thorough in my cleaning or may need a new gas tube not a piston

Thank you Machodoc and CasualObserver for those sites.
    BuyMilsurp has generic gas pistons, USA made, no maker listed.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Depending on where the burrs are on your piston, and how severe they are, you might just be able to gently dress them down with a jeweler's file or fine oil stone. There are three "rings" (bands) on the head of the piston, so if one of them just has a small place on it that you had to dress down a bit, it won't make any real difference.

Check for crud inside the gas tube. A little bit of corrosion or dried (cooked on) grease can create a bunch of problems. Put a bore light down in the tube and give it a good looking over ... then run a bronze bore brush down in it (I think .410 shotgun fits, but not sure) and clean it with that and solvent.

You can also roll the rod end of the piston on a sheet of glass or lucite to see if it's bent. That's a real possibility with a rifle that may have been fired without proper cleaning (before you got it, of course!).

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Any chance the gas tube got knocked and dented? Should be a fairly simple problem to fix yourself. Even if you have to take a small file to something.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    PM'd you a thanks, but you certainly deserve a public Thanks for you generous offer.:party29:
    Your offer actually woke me up to just pulling the piston out of my YUGO 59/66 and seeing how that fit. It falls right out of the Yugo, but sticks in the Chinese, so it looks like either I wasn't thorough in my cleaning or may need a new gas tube not a piston

Thank you Machodoc and CasualObserver for those sites.
    BuyMilsurp has generic gas pistons, USA made, no maker listed.

Your welcome . Glad you are on the road to figuring it out.

marquis708

Feb 6, 2013
    MD.
    SKS GAS PISTON FOR CHINESE SKS. (9.5inches long) NICE USED SURPLUS, 7.62X39.

on ebay right now = Item number:151083351354 $29.99

Mike4Maryland

Harford County, MD USA
    Apr 5, 2013
    Looking for a replacement piston for the Gas Valve

The skinny part of the shaft appears straight and I've clean the piston and the chamber, but it still wants to stick.
    The head of the piston with the threads appears to have some scuffs, so this is what I suspect is causing the problems.

Contacted CNC Warrior, but he's not sure his Yugo replacement would work.
    A source for a Chinese part? CHINA

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    I remember Dawson's small arms in VA had some Chinese sks parts about 2 months ago. Could make a trip out of it if its not too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom