• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    Hey all,

OK, so I'm very new to the AK platform. I just bought an Arsenal SGL21 from Mark at 2A. I'm lovin' it so far, but really want the option of making it a side folder without having to cut off the tang (just in case I want to change it back to the factory fixed stock in the future).

After looking at all the options, I think I just want to stay simple and put a Romy wire side folder on the rifle. Like this:
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS004-1.html

Yeah, an ACE setup would be awesome, but that gets expensive quick, plus cutting off the tang is a non-reversable operation... Some of the other "no mod" side folder options just look wrong to me and also add a couple inches to the overall folded length.

So now that I decided on a Romy side folder, I cannot find them *anywhere!!*. I've spent hours googling, looking through sites of online vendors that sell AK parts, and reading this forum and others. No dice. Seems that they are "out of stock" everywhere.

Does anyone have a lead on a source for these things? Or perhaps know of an IP that stocks such items?

Thanks in advance!

-B

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    i would say search for some mis matched parts kits on gunbroker, but I will no longer use gunbroker so i can't recommend you to.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, all.

Clandestine,
    I trust your opinion about comfort. I just plan to use the AK for fun and SHTF purposes. I can't see an Arsenal Saiga conversion ever being a real "collectable" item. Is the cutting of the tang and installation of the ACE receiver block as easy as it sounds (i.e. hacksaw/dremel/file are all that are needed)?

My gut tells me to just cut off that tang, install the ACE parts, and never look back. However, the rifle is new and I'm having a hard time bringing myself to doing a permanent mod just yet..

Thanks!

-B

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks for the replies, all.

Clandestine,
    I trust your opinion about comfort. I just plan to use the AK for fun and SHTF purposes. I can't see an Arsenal Saiga conversion ever being a real "collectable" item. Is the cutting of the tang and installation of the ACE receiver block as easy as it sounds (i.e. hacksaw/dremel/file are all that are needed)?

My gut tells me to just cut off that tang, install the ACE parts, and never look back. However, the rifle is new and I'm having a hard time bringing myself to doing a permanent mod just yet..

Thanks!

-B

I've cut all of mine for ace folders unless they are underfolders. Cut it and don't worry. If you want a fixed stock in the future a rear tang is super easy to replace.

You can make an ace stock fold to the right as well but the bolt handle has to bent up very slightly to clear the stock when folded. Its easier for a eighty to deploy when the gun is slung on your chest than a left folder is.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I've cut all of mine for ace folders unless they are underfolders. Cut it and don't worry. If you want a fixed stock in the future a rear tang is super easy to replace.

You can make an ace stock fold to the right as well but the bolt handle has to bent up very slightly to clear the stock when folded. Its easier for a eighty to deploy when the gun is slung on your chest than a left folder is.

This intrigues me, please explain. I've always wanted a side folder and the ACE ones look nice enough, only wish they made one that looked like the original triangle or solid folders. :/

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    This intrigues me, please explain. I've always wanted a side folder and the ACE ones look nice enough, only wish they made one that looked like the original triangle or solid folders. :/

Just cut out the rivets at the rear and remove the old trunnion. Get a Bulgarian Rear Trunnion and have someone with a riveting jig press the new rivets in. Touchup the rivet heads with Flat Alumahyde and your back to original configuration.

The ACE when setup to fold to the right is more versatile and more comfortable than an 100 Series Russian/Bulgy Folder.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    Just cut out the rivets at the rear and remove the old trunnion. Get a Bulgarian Rear Trunnion and have someone with a riveting jig press the new rivets in. Touchup the rivet heads with Flat Alumahyde and your back to original configuration.

The ACE when setup to fold to the right is more versatile and more comfortable than an 100 Series Russian/Bulgy Folder.

Thanks Clandestine. I feel emboldened now. I think I'll order me up some ACE parts. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom