• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    Maybe this is old news to people who have lived in this state longer. But I wasn't made aware that when I bought a pistol here I was entered into:

"The gun-ownership database, the Maryland Automated Firearm System Services, contains the names, addresses, driver's license numbers and types of guns purchased by anyone buying a regulated firearm in Maryland. "

This is from an article in the Washington Examiner where a delegate is alooking to spend money to update the database so it can communicate with with criminal database. Though there is the problem that everyone in the gun-ownership database hasn't been fingerprinted (yet).

http://washingtonexaminer.com/looph...riminal-records-can-keep-guns/article/2530696

Mr H

Banana'd
    It was confirmed during debate in the Senate, re: SB281, that everything ever purchased as a "Regulated Firearm" is considered registered (and possibly in violation of Federal law??!).

We had always suspected that, but Sen. Frosh finally had to [reluctantly] admit it.

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    Yea- while I knew it existed, it's still upsetting to know they (as I understand) have a illegal firearm registry. However, what I think is more upsetting- they are going to start storing finger prints for those that want to buy a firearm. It's one thing to run the CJIS/FBI check and delete the prints that don't match afterwards, but soon- they'll be stored, permanently.

Soon saying "liberty" will be in the banned/get a fine from the FCC list for broadcast TV and radio...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yea- while I knew it existed, it's still upsetting to know they (as I understand) have a illegal firearm registry. However, what I think is more upsetting- they are going to start storing finger prints for those that want to buy a firearm. It's one thing to run the CJIS/FBI check and delete the prints that don't match afterwards, but soon- they'll be stored, permanently.

Soon saying "liberty" will be in the banned/get a fine from the FCC list for broadcast TV and radio...

It is not illegal for the states to have a gun registry, but it is illegal for the federal government to have one as per FOPA - Tiahart Amendment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiahrt_Amendment#Tiahrt_Amendment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOPA#Registry_prohibition

Dec 6, 2011
    I've used it lots of times to return stolen guns to their owners. You'd be surprised how many people don't keep serial numbers in case of loss or theft. The best case was a retired Marine. He was happy to have his gun back, but he was VERY happy to have his Kabar back. I guess it had some sentimental value.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    What worries me is the accuracy of the information in the database. I went to MSP to do a transfer. The MSP started questioning me about when and where I purchased the pistol. I bought the pistol, used, through a FFL. It turns out the gun was registered to someone else. We double checked the serial number and it was correct. They proceeded with the transfer anyhow. The way they acted, it was not the first time they encountered this problem.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What worries me is the accuracy of the information in the database. I went to MSP to do a transfer. The MSP started questioning me about when and where I purchased the pistol. I bought the pistol, used, through a FFL. It turns out the gun was registered to someone else. We double checked the serial number and it was correct. They proceeded with the transfer anyhow. The way they acted, it was not the first time they encountered this problem.

If you thought that was fun, try doing a FTF transfer for a handgun, purchased out of state and before 1994 (when the regulated DB started), let the fun ensue...:innocent0

Dec 6, 2011
    If you thought that was fun, try doing a FTF transfer for a handgun, purchased out of state and before 1994 (when the regulated DB started), let the fun ensue...:innocent0

The only time I've seen a problem is when the serial number is in NCIC as stolen. When you run a stolen gun check, most operators run it by serial number or serial number and caliber to keep the search as broad as possible. With all the guns in this country, it's VERY common to get a hit on a serial number and then have to exclude it based on make, model, caliber or other identifying data. The list of manufacturers is it's own giant book, and some mfgrs have more than one coded 3 letter abbreviation. If you don't run it broadly, you could miss a stolen gun.

And finding previous owners by serial number is as common as it is with license plates on cars..........lots of double entries.

highwayheat

highwayheat
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ceciltucky
    The database is extemely back logged as well. A firearm that I had transferred to my possession on 11/01/12 didn't actually show up in the database until the middle of April 2013.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    The only time I've seen a problem is when the serial number is in NCIC as stolen. When you run a stolen gun check, most operators run it by serial number or serial number and caliber to keep the search as broad as possible. With all the guns in this country, it's VERY common to get a hit on a serial number and then have to exclude it based on make, model, caliber or other identifying data. The list of manufacturers is it's own giant book, and some mfgrs have more than one coded 3 letter abbreviation. If you don't run it broadly, you could miss a stolen gun.

And finding previous owners by serial number is as common as it is with license plates on cars..........lots of double entries.

I went through the license plate headache. Somehow the MVA had the car in their system as still registered to the previous owner with the tags never having been turned in. It took a month to get it straightened out. I had registered it previously and showed them my registration. Then they claimed they had never seen the old plates. It took me forever to find my receipt, but I did. No apology whatsoever for making me take 4 days off of work over a month to fix their mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom