• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    As many of you know I have been interested into getting into the 300 blackout game for sometime but kept waiting for PSA to get uppers, DSA was only making A2 post sight models. Was going to buy a barrel and build one but googling around I came across SOTA arms on slick-guns

http://sotaarms.com/component/jshopping/category/view/5?Itemid=0

Looked at their stuff was skeptical, googled around some more reviews on AR15.com seem positive. Not expecting it to be BRAVO, as its entry level for me.

Figured, ok Ill give them a chance and ordered the following:

http://sotaarms.com/component/jshopping/product/view/2/89?Itemid=0

16"
    carbine gas system
    bolt included
    stainless
    Quad Rail and low-po gas block.

Figured Id give it a chance.

Good:

- Delivery was as claimed with about 3 weeks (they claim 2 to 4 on their site).
    - Recieved a shipping notice two days beforehand
    - Was worried about the shipping as it was shipped directly in the white 20" by 4" by 4" box you see uppers in with no outer box. But inside it was well wrapped and came unscathed.
    - Everything seems properly stakes and assembled, quality of assembly and milling is good. More or less the same as PSA's quality on visual inspection, maybe a notch above on finish and assembly (my PSA had a few more nicks around the delta ring and stuff from assembly, not bad but there). I dont know who made the rail but it is nicely done, milled and fitted.
    1:8 twist.

Bad:

- Not crazy about the shiny brushed stainless barrel, but this is a bench gun for me.
    - The front glass block is the bolt on kind, never have been a huge of these but it seems secure. Its also a little clunky.
    - Other than that, I just cant believe its going to function well for the price.
    - Would have preferred a NiBo bolt, they really dont give you any options to switch things around beyond a few configurations.
    - It will be swapped on and off my carbine lower which is set-up with a Spikes enhanced single stage trigger (my current favorite) and Magpul MIAD/CTR.

Ill let you know when I do a range test. Any good recommendations on optics, thinking something in the 1 x 4 range or 2 x 7 range. Not an Eo for this one. Any thoughts? The Millett DMS-1 I have on my Kies upper is ok but not great.

I didnt post any pictures as it is exactly the same as the model on the website.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm interested in how it performs for you. I'm in the process of freeing up funds to start piecing a 300 upper together currently.

I'd like to think a half-decent 2 X 7 should work well, but take that for what it's worth since I'm not a scope guy.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I'm interested in how it performs for you. I'm in the process of freeing up funds to start piecing a 300 upper together currently.

I'd like to think a half-decent 2 X 7 should work well, but take that for what it's worth since I'm not a scope guy.

Ya I am anxious to try it, I may even suspend my carbine build to wrap it up.

I think they are saving a lot turning stainless and avoiding finishing costs. But it is a nicely milled barrel that seems in spec. They do have a parked barrel model but not in blackout. I basically wanted a starter blackout gun to play with.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Basically going the same route, a low-buck starter to see if I want to get deeper into the cartridge at a later date. I figure I can build a half-decent one for just around a few hundred, if I don't mind running a blem'd upper reciever.

I've only shot 1 SOTA 300 upper, and it ran fine, no FTF/FTE - couldn't say about accuracy, the guys hadn't dialed in the glass or their handloads yet.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I heard from a pretty reliable source inside the industry, in their area, that stated they have a bunch of major legal action against them right now so caveat emptor. Not sure how reliable that is, but just throwing it out there as a member of the MDS community (not as a retailer). Take that for whatever its worth.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I heard from a pretty reliable source inside the industry, in their area, that stated they have a bunch of major legal action against them right now so caveat emptor. Not sure how reliable that is, but just throwing it out there as a member of the MDS community (not as a retailer). Take that for whatever its worth.

Ruh-roh shaggy...

Guess it's a good thing I planned on piecing mine together myself then.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I too have been saving up to get a SOTA .300 upper. Especially since they just now started offering it in black. As for legal action, depending what the action is for would make a big difference. If for patent infringement or contract disputes, I don't think it would bother me. Now if it was for substandard product or injury, I would worry.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Sure it isn't just griping because they are way undercutting their price point

Everything on this upper seems solid.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nope...I don't believe that's it. Nobody complains about Palmetto and their pricing...well, at least they don't complain about the quality or pending legislation :D

You know I believe you man, and at this price point I was concerned about corners being cut. But I put these guns side by side, component by component, and dont see any difference in quality. Now I am thinking of headspacing it just to be sure now that you mentioned this.

Id like to know more about the specific issue if you get the info.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Id like to know more about the specific issue if you get the info.

Sounds like more than just wild conjecture from what I've heard:

The owner and head sales person at SOTA embezzled a large amount of product from the company the owner was formerly president of, and forced the company into bankruptcy. About 40 people lost their jobs. The product that SOTA started with was stolen over the course of a year.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sounds like more than just wild conjecture from what I've heard:

The owner and head sales person at SOTA embezzled a large amount of product from the company the owner was formerly president of, and forced the company into bankruptcy. About 40 people lost their jobs. The product that SOTA started with was stolen over the course of a year.

At least it doesnt sound like a quality issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom