• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Been preparing this for some time and everything has lined up well- preparing to sell our Northern Anne Arundel house and move into the Owings area of Northern Calvert. Several reasons, family close by but also for the schools and more rural standard of living within reasonable range of my travels for work make it ideal. While visiting houses for sale we’ve seen it’s clearly a much more 2A friendly area and we’ve even heard target practice occurring in the areas. Is it best to travel to shoot at the commercial ranges, join a club, or make a friend with enough property :)?

Also any other thoughts on the area are appreciated.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Been preparing this for some time and everything has lined up well- preparing to sell our Northern Anne Arundel house and move into the Owings area of Northern Calvert. Several reasons, family close by but also for the schools and more rural standard of living within reasonable range of my travels for work make it ideal. While visiting houses for sale we’ve seen it’s clearly a much more 2A friendly area and we’ve even heard target practice occurring in the areas. Is it best to travel to shoot at the commercial ranges, join a club, or make a friend with enough property :)?

Also any other thoughts on the area are appreciated.
    Welcome to the neighborhood.
    We like it down here.
    One request, please don't camp in the left lane on Rt 4. lol

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Welcome!
    If you can make friends with someone with room to shoot that's great.
    If not there is the 12th Precinct Pistol and Archery club just north in Harwood. (AA Co)
    Down south just across the bridge in Saint Mary's County is Sanners Lake Sportsman club.

And as Trepang said, PLease... no camping in the left lane. :D

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Welcome to Calvert, better know as the "Vacuum of shooting ranges"
    with all the building in the last 20 years, property to shoot on in Calvert is scarce.
    There are no public ranges, no clubs, no nothing in Calvert.
    For the last 10-15 years there is a rumor or 2 every year or so of a range in the works,, they NEVER materialize, ever.
    Your going to have an hour drive for 100yd rifle, Pistol - I steer clear of MSAR, Freds has weird hours, Flat broke is your best bet,, 1+ hour drive each way,

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Immediately? Find a friend with property. Longer term? I'm a member at both 12th Precinct and Sanners' Lake. The former is strictly a pistol and archery club. Fine for me, I'm strictly a pistol shooter, but it might not be OK for you. Sanners is an everything-club. They have just acquired property in southern Calvert County, with plans to get a range built. But that's probably going to be a two to four year project.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    As a long time resident of SOMD, I’ve had no success in meeting people with property large enough to shoot. I’ve even offered cold, hard cash.

Hopefully you are better at making friends :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom