• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    s a wet tumbler really faster when you consider the extra PITA that goes into making sure your brass is dry enough to load?

I just spread the brass on an old baking sheet and put it in the oven on the "warm" setting. Seems to work. Haven't burnt any yet. ; )

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I just spread the brass on an old baking sheet and put it in the oven on the "warm" setting. Seems to work. Haven't burnt any yet. ; )
    Riiiight - my point is, if you were dry tumbling, you wouldn't have to do any of that. As soon as you separated the media you could be on your merry way making reloads rather than fiddling with baking sheets, the oven drying, etc. Then, you'd have to wait for them to cool sufficiently, all the while checking to make sure that they were, in fact, dry - inside and out. And for what? For brass that's extra shiny or has clean primer pockets, neither of which is actually necessary?

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    Riiiight - my point is, if you were dry tumbling, you wouldn't have to do any of that. As soon as you separated the media you could be on your merry way making reloads rather than fiddling with baking sheets, the oven drying, etc. Then, you'd have to wait for them to cool sufficiently, all the while checking to make sure that they were, in fact, dry - inside and out. And for what? For brass that's extra shiny or has clean primer pockets, neither of which is actually necessary?

Guess just different approaches. I've never had to turn my brass around in a time frame it made any difference. I accumulate piles, which I then clean, and at some future point, I reload them. It's also been so long since I bought my cleaners, I honestly can't remember what made me go the direction I did. I think it was something like I had nothing, Midway had a great clearance price reduction, and I bought one. It then worked well enough, I never looked back. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ; )

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Exactly.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Guess just different approaches. I've never had to turn my brass around in a time frame it made any difference. I accumulate piles, which I then clean, and at some future point, I reload them. It's also been so long since I bought my cleaners, I honestly can't remember what made me go the direction I did. I think it was something like I had nothing, Midway had a great clearance price reduction, and I bought one. It then worked well enough, I never looked back. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ; )
    I can appreciate the idea of different approaches - that's really what reloading is all about.

I've been on the fence a few times about whether or not to delve into wet tumbling. After doing some Google-fu it seems that there's more lead in media dust than a person would think 600 ppm according to one reloader who works with a company that does environmental remediation, so he had the equipment to test it. (400 ppm is considered the hazardous level in bare soil where children might play) I do keep dust at a minimum though with the use of used dryer sheets and a bit of mineral spirits, but that doesn't mean that the lead isn't there.

I suppose if I reloaded a lot - I go through periods of time where I haven't touched my reloading equipment in a good bit because I get busy with other things - it would be more of a concern to me, but as it currently is, I can live with it the way it is for the moment, mainly because I like to keep things simple.

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    I can appreciate the idea of different approaches - that's really what reloading is all about.

I've been on the fence a few times about whether or not to delve into wet tumbling. After doing some Google-fu it seems that there's more lead in media dust than a person would think 600 ppm according to one reloader who works with a company that does environmental remediation, so he had the equipment to test it. (400 ppm is considered the hazardous level in bare soil where children might play) I do keep dust at a minimum though with the use of used dryer sheets and a bit of mineral spirits, but that doesn't mean that the lead isn't there.

I suppose if I reloaded a lot - I go through periods of time where I haven't touched my reloading equipment in a good bit because I get busy with other things - it would be more of a concern to me, but as it currently is, I can live with it the way it is for the moment, mainly because I like to keep things simple.

Yep, and it's good to see what others are doing. I have never really thought about lead exposure. I guess it's something we need to keep in mind. I don't think I'm doing anything that would generate too much exposure. How much more exposure comes from handling hard cast bullets versus FMJ? Always figured something else will get me first. I think back to some of the solvents I worked with in the past. Yikes. I wear an organic fume respirator now, but back in the day, I don't want to even think about all the stuff I've breathed in.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yep, and it's good to see what others are doing. I have never really thought about lead exposure. I guess it's something we need to keep in mind. I don't think I'm doing anything that would generate too much exposure. How much more exposure comes from handling hard cast bullets versus FMJ? Always figured something else will get me first. I think back to some of the solvents I worked with in the past. Yikes. I wear an organic fume respirator now, but back in the day, I don't want to even think about all the stuff I've breathed in.
    Same here.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Some of y'all need more brass if you're worried about the amount of time it takes to dry. I don't think I've got that much brass, but I've got enough that I can wait for it to dry...
    20231214_184104.jpg
    20231214_184112.jpg
    20231214_184115.jpg
    20231214_184120.jpg
    20231214_184148.jpg
    20231214_184153.jpg
    20231214_184205.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads