• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 6, 2012
    I've been staring at knives, reading/watching reviews for a long time, but the other day I did that for about five hours. That much time was too much for me so I added a very nice spyderco to my shopping cart, but then told myself it was too much at the time to buy. However, my blade lust was not satiated until I purchased something, so I went and get an el cheapo: Kershaw Cryo, which arrived in the mail today.

w15j.jpg

ux6z.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Several actually, pretty much the entire manix line. (Which I've been ogling for over a year now.)

Go for the XL first, I love mine, although if I were to buy another I'd get the DLC black version the subdued liners and hardware look really good, and DLC is a good durable coating, the liners, clip and screws are bright polished on the standard coloration, and kinda flashy. Full flat ground, more secure grip, easier lock to work, perfect size for a big EDC. I have seen a few variants before going with an XL myself, the FFG makes it a great slicer with that blade shape, although the tip is still broad enough to be strong. The basic manix model's sabre grind is a bad choice for it IMO, it's a thick blade with a relatively short cutting edge under 3", it's heavy for it's size, and a short thick blade makes a poor slicer with gains in strength that wouldn't be that useful in a small EDC sized blade. The XL is quite a bit larger, but the FFG and skelton liners don't add weight compared to the smaller manix, and the extra 1/2" added to the blade is all cutting edge, the hook at the toe of the handle really makes it nice to grip. The current light weight variant is nice, but the riveted construction won't allow you to take it apart, there were a couple previous FFG sprint runs of the standard G10 manix that weren't bad either.

20130614_140217.jpg

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I got the Cryo myself. I haven't used it on anything, but it's a nice looking knife and fun to just flick the knife out.

My next purchase is a survival knife. I've been looking at the Gerber LMF or the Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro Survival Knife. There are a few other of note, but those 2 stick out the most for me. Good luck!

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I really like it! Looks like a good folder with a nice opening mechanism with a strong lock, nice clip, and good blade steel. I really like the blade shape/grind and the handle. Let us know how it performs under heavy usage. I really want to buy one now. I've read the steel performs similar to 440C...any thoughts?

Feb 6, 2012
    I really like it! Looks like a good folder with a nice opening mechanism with a strong lock, nice clip, and good blade steel. I really like the blade shape/grind and the handle. Let us know how it performs under heavy usage. I really want to buy one now. I've read the steel performs similar to 440C...any thoughts?

I'm used to Aus8 as opposed to 8cr13mov, so far I think they're pretty much the same. As for 440c I don't really use any knives with it (I do have two "44o" steel knives, but I'm pretty sure they are of less quality than 440c.) This knife won't see a lot of hard use given that I carry it along with my RAT1, I mainly just play with it. I wanted an assisted opener with a flipper just to satisfy my hands. :o

Feb 6, 2012
    Update on the Cryo: the torsion bar on my Cryo messed up and ruined the detent along with the assisted opening. It's a real shame, I liked a lot of things about this cool little knife, but I'm gonna have to caution people against getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom