• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Actually, he didn't exactly ask me. He said that he was having a problem with a full-auto/semi-auto firearm not cycling properly with commercial ammo, and was wondering if it was because the ammo wasn't generating enough pressure. It was one of those moments that happen now and then, when you can say something like, "Well, I just happen to have loaded a few hundred rounds of rather peppy 9mm loads last night. I'll bring a few over."

It was nice to see a True Great American Military Hero unloading some of my reloads, and smiling while he did so. That's just what the rifle needed ... but the suppressor wasn't as effective with the hot loads as they were with the commercial stuff. Accuracy was where it needed to be, though. Things like that make for a good Saturday.

Last edited:

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    In the 70s when my department used UZIs, they found that they had to use high pressure UZI 9mm ammo. Standard 9mm would not recycle the weapon. They later switched to CAR 15s for the longer accuracy.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    sooo, what was the gun.

I'm tip-toeing around that one, Chaunsey, because I didn't ask the guy in question if it would be OK for me to post that. I will say that it's legally in his possession, and it has seen combat in two foreign countries in the past few years. With the hot rounds, it sounded like a tack hammer hitting a carpeted floor. With the commercial ammo it sounded like a pellet gun. I'll pm you if I get a chance to ask him if it's OK to share.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    If it was a European subgun it'll need real NATO spec 9mm to run.
    Sten, Sterling, MP 38/40 all need a solid recoil impulse.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    thats cool, i understand.

several years ago on another forum, i knew a guy who was a LEO down south somewhere, and some old lady turned in an mp-40 that her husband had brought home and sat hidden in a closet for years.

sadly there was no legal way for her to keep it or sell it or anything, thankfully rather than sending out to be destroyed, the guy was able to get it transferred to his department, so that at least it lives in the armory, and with a department letterhead he can loan it out to shoot it on the range now and then.

its sad that our laws forced that situation, but at least the gun was not destroyed, and at least someone can enjoy it.

the guy took video of him and his buddies running it at the range and put it up for us to see. this thread reminded me of that , and sure enough ive still got the videos, so what the heck might as well put it up here, once full auto has been mentioned, only full auto being presented can satisfy the mob :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom