• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Well, after seeing some four to five foot beast slither in front of me at my new house, I need a snake gun. No idea what type it was because I didn't get a great look, but there is a chance it could be poisonous.

I don't currently own a revolver, so this will probably be one of two revolvers that I'll ever own. A .38/.357 and a .44. For this one, I want it to be a .357.

I realize I could buy some cheap revolver to just put .38 snake shot through, but since this is likely to be my only .38/.357, I want it to be nice. What is the quintessential wheel gun these days? Model 19? 686?

Thanks

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I have a few 38s. I like my Taurus 85 (5 shot) and Taurus 856 (6 shot). They are reliable and I usually carry my Taurus 85 as my EDC.

You might want to consider the Taurus Judge 45/410. I’d think a 410 would be more effective than a snake shot 38/357.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Ok, just my opinion, but nice gun and snake shot loads isn't a good mix. I load my own pistol shot loads in 38, 44, and 45acp. It craps up the rifling something fierce and the powder burns very dirty even with fast stuff like titegroup and a bit of compression with the undershot wad. Add in that you will have to carry it to have a chance to use it on a snake and it won't stay nice long.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have a few 38s. I like my Taurus 85 (5 shot) and Taurus 856 (6 shot). They are reliable and I usually carry my Taurus 85 as my EDC.

You might want to consider the Taurus Judge 45/410. I’d think a 410 would be more effective than a snake shot 38/357.
    38 works fine. #12 or even #9 will work. I like shooting cicadas and larger wasps/hornets with them too. Normally I don't shoot snakes. I have surprised a few at one of my jobs (not in md) and shot them but normally they move off rather than strike.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Ruger's GP100 is a nice .357. 6, 7 and 8 shot models are made. Nice also is their SP101, in 5 shot if you want something smaller. For older Rugers, don't overlook any of their Six Series revolvers. They were and still are good guns.

Smith, there's a whole slew of good .357 revolvers, current and older models. 586, 686, 27, 13, 19....all good revolvers.

For snakes, I'd sooner suggest a good shovel. But yeah, they still make shot cartridges.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I used to use a 38 shake shot round

Then everyone told me I shouldn't kill snakes so now I just sort of move 'em with a rake.

What part of Maryland are you in? Not many venomous snakes around here unless you have a copperhead out your way.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    In my narrow minded opinion, it's the only real use for the Taurus Judge/ S&W Governor. As noted above, the odds of it being venomous are pretty slim.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm gonna agree with Bikebreath.
    First figure out what kind of snakes you are seeing. If they turn out to be non venomous snakes, and you feel you're seeing too many, it's probably a good indication that your problem isn't snakes, but rodents. Get rid of the rodents and you'll get rid of the snakes.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    for what it’s worth, it’s illegal to kill any snake in Maryland.

Now, I absolutely believe one must do what it takes to protect your life. Just giving you the info in case you pop one off in your yard and a neighbor calls the sheriff. Be prepared to explain what did or did not happen.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    for what it’s worth, it’s illegal to kill any snake in Maryland.

Now, I absolutely believe one must do what it takes to protect your life. Just giving you the info in case you pop one off in your yard and a neighbor calls the sheriff. Be prepared to explain what did or did not happen.
    I think if you yell "It's coming right for us!" you are covered.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Kill them all and let your place be overrun with rodents.

I'm gonna agree with Bikebreath.
    First figure out what kind of snakes you are seeing. If they turn out to be non venomous snakes, and you feel you're seeing too many, it's probably a good indication that your problem isn't snakes, but rodents. Get rid of the rodents and you'll get rid of the snakes.

I have to agree 100%. We were seeing lots of copperheads the first few years we moved to the current location. Clearing out the previous owner's lush (overgrown) landscaping reduced the hiding spots and the rodents. Field mice and chipmunks seemed to have a preference for the tall pampas grass. Given our location, I know that there are definitely still copperheads in the overall area (forest), but making the space around the house less inviting to them has been the way to go for reducing encounters near the house and outbuildings. I'm not suprised to see one or two a year now (usually sheltering in retaining wall drainage holes), but prior we were seeing closer to 10+/year.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I was in Tyler Firearms a week or so ago, they had a Bond Arms 2 shot .38/.357, I think it was priced in the low $300's.

Seems like a good choice for this purpose if as @4g64loser said it would be rough on a nicer gun.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My grandpa was born in a dugout sod house on a homestead claim along the banks of the Frenchman River in Chase County, Nebraska. When the homestead claim was worked off, my great grandfather sold that piece of ground and bought the piece that became the family farm south and west of my hometown - he worked that farm until they sold it so he my grandpa could retire in 1972.

I'd venture to guess that between my great grandpa, my grandpa and my Dad, they probably each killed more rattlesnakes with hoes and shovels than they did collectively with any kind of a firearm.

Once when I was a kid, my grandparents took us kids out for a drive along the south side of the reservoir lake near town. It was a warm day - either late spring or early fall - and there were a bunch of prairie rattlers sunning themselves. I saw my grandpa kill 2 or 3 with a rock that day. Simply walked up and stoned them in the head. He'd have been in his early 80s at the time.

If you're looking for an excuse to buy a revolver I guess I get it, but if you want to be effective at killing snakes, there are other ways to go about it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you have snakes, you probably have a rodent problem. If you don't know what snakes you are killing, you are likely to end up with a much worse rodent problem, possibly with a legal problem and a venomous snake problem. Best bet is to try to identify the species, in the near certainty they are non-venemous, leave them alone, or if you want them to steer clear of the house, place some corrugated tin where you would rather have them be. If it is a venemous species, then it makes more sense to keep them away from kids/pets, but other options available, and a reason you have them around, till you address that, they will keep coming. Personally a tall bucket and snake tongs is a better way to handle them, catch a couple, call the local herp club, they will take them, and probably find out why you have so many on your property.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If you have snakes, you probably have a rodent problem. If you don't know what snakes you are killing, you are likely to end up with a much worse rodent problem, possibly with a legal problem and a venomous snake problem. Best bet is to try to identify the species, in the near certainty they are non-venemous, leave them alone, or if you want them to steer clear of the house, place some corrugated tin where you would rather have them be. If it is a venemous species, then it makes more sense to keep them away from kids/pets, but other options available, and a reason you have them around, till you address that, they will keep coming. Personally a tall bucket and snake tongs is a better way to handle them, catch a couple, call the local herp club, they will take them, and probably find out why you have so many on your property.
    There are lots of assumptions in that post - it's also a whole lot of doin'. Snakes are everywhere. I see them in my yard now and again - really only rat snakes and garter snakes. I leave them alone - I figure that most of the time they aren't bothering me so I'm not going to bother them.

Some people really have an aversion to snakes though. They think that the only good snake is a dead snake. Again, there are easier ways to deal with them than a pistol. Hoes, shovels and even garden rakes work very well.

jef955

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2011
    Maryland
    Ruger Lcrx 9mm 5 shot revolver. Great trigger, just a matter of drop in or out your loaded moon clips to go from city to woods mode. CCI 9mm shotshell with 4 more flat points behind that, If going into the trenches, drop it out and put 5 rounds of JHP..

PEEJAY

Dec 2, 2020
    Well, after seeing some four to five foot beast slither in front of me at my new house, I need a snake gun. No idea what type it was because I didn't get a great look, but there is a chance it could be poisonous.

I don't currently own a revolver, so this will probably be one of two revolvers that I'll ever own. A .38/.357 and a .44. For this one, I want it to be a .357.

I realize I could buy some cheap revolver to just put .38 snake shot through, but since this is likely to be my only .38/.357, I want it to be nice. What is the quintessential wheel gun these days? Model 19? 686?

Thanks
    if it was 4-5 ft long it was probably a rat snake. Best pest control on your property. Theyre also completely harmless. i used to catch em all the time and never been bit. Highly doubt it was venomous unless you have timber rattlers or copperheads around you and thats a pretty unmistakable snake and a 3 footer would be about as long as they get. If bringing a gun around with you makes you feel safe, great, but dont use it unless you have to. I cant imagine ever having to shoot a snake to protect myself. i would just take a step back and go around it, problem solved lol.

Honestly, when you said i need a snake gun i thought you meant you need a colt "snake" series revolver. If you want the perfect wheel gun get a Colt Python. but i wouldnt shoot shotgun pellets through it haha

If you really want a dedicated snake gun to kill all the snakes on your property just get a cheap shotgun. If you are trying to come up with a reason to buy a revolver... GP100 (if you get this get the mCarbo trigger kit) or S&W 686 are both solid guns and always will be. I love my 6" GP100. You can hunt deer with it in MD if you use hotter handloads or buffalo bore. Cheaper option would be Taurus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom