• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    It's a Char-Broil electric water smoker...not sure what model it is but it's an upright model and rectangular. Been reasonably happy with it but what really helps me out is the wireless thermometer.

Which one did you go with? I've been looking at these.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Not sure if this was a front quarter or hind quarter...asked the processor to do 2lb roasts. For the smoker, will see if I can find a model number or post a photo....

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Smoker and Thermometer

Here's a bit of info on my cooking gear for those who are interested.

The smoker is a Char-Broil model 11201677. Not commercial grade but meets my needs just fine. I like to smoke at 225 degrees but have to get the temp higher to get the wood chips going, then reduce the temp. Can take a shortcut by heating up the chip pan with a propane torch :)

The thermometer I use is a Maverick ET-733 dual-probe model. I had to read the directions the first few times I set it but now can stumble my way through without reading. Bought it so I could monitor the smoker temp and the meat temp at the same time (or beef and chicken at the same time). Great gizmo...you can set alarms so you know when the temp from either probe is too high or too low. Wireless feature is awesome...I keep the receiver near me in the house when using the smoker and make adjustments based on the temp. I'm not particularly skilled at cooking so having a temperature read out makes it more science than art. Given the price of meat these days, this thing is worth every penny because it takes the guess work out of smoking. In fact, I would say get the thermometer first because when you know the temperature, you should be able to make any smoker work.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.

The smoker is a Char-Broil model 11201677. Not commercial grade but meets my needs just fine. I like to smoke at 225 degrees but have to get the temp higher to get the wood chips going, then reduce the temp. Can take a shortcut by heating up the chip pan with a propane torch :)

The thermometer I use is a Maverick ET-733 dual-probe model. I had to read the directions the first few times I set it but now can stumble my way through without reading. Bought it so I could monitor the smoker temp and the meat temp at the same time (or beef and chicken at the same time). Great gizmo...you can set alarms so you know when the temp from either probe is too high or too low. Wireless feature is awesome...I keep the receiver near me in the house when using the smoker and make adjustments based on the temp. I'm not particularly skilled at cooking so having a temperature read out makes it more science than art. Given the price of meat these days, this thing is worth every penny because it takes the guess work out of smoking. In fact, I would say get the thermometer first because when you know the temperature, you should be able to make any smoker work.

Yep, it's a good one!!!

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    MD Shooters,
    This roast was a bit of an experiment. Normally the wife cooks venison roasts in the crockpot along with potatoes and carrots. That turns out great but I wanted to see what I could do with the smoker. I started with a roast that weighted 2 lbs 5 oz before trimming silverskin and fat...prob removed 5 oz because my knife wasn't sharp enough to get just the silverskin.

Once all of that was removed, I applied the rub and then wrapped with bacon. Smoked at about 225 degrees cooking temp until meat temp reached 145 degrees (decided to pull it at a lower temp to ensure a juicy result). Took about 3 hours to smoke the 2 lb roast. Then I wrapped it in a double layer of foil, wrapped in a towel, and let the meat rest for 15 min.

Suffice to say it worked...the texture/moisture of the meat was on par with restaurant-grade prime rib! Love me some smoked venison!!!

I use a smoker for pork spareribs and chicken several times every summer and they come out great. I would love to try my smoker with Venison. What kind of rub do you use?

HokieKev

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013

I just have a cheap electric one - I can't recall the brand but it looks like this?

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Brinkmann-Gourmet-Electric-Smoker-810-7090-S/100606040

I have used it for 10 years and since it sits in a screened in porch semi exposed to the elements it is starting to rust through the bottom. May have to get another one soon.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Rub recipe

I use a smoker for pork spareribs and chicken several times every summer and they come out great. I would love to try my smoker with Venison. What kind of rub do you use?

HokieKev...for this particular roast I used Rudy's Rub from the Rudy's BBQ chain.

I liked it but think next time I'm going to go back to my brisket rub recipe. This rub provides a bit more heat and is by far my favorite for rubs I've tried. Just like the old lady on the Frank's RedHot sauce commercials, I put that sh!t on everything that goes in the smoker :) What I normally do is apply the rub the day before smoking and store the meat in a big Ziplock bag overnight. Just mix this stuff up, give it a try, and let me know what you think:

One quarter cup chili powder
    One quarter cup brown sugar
    Two tablespoons ground black pepper
    One tablespoon kosher salt
    One teaspoon cayenne pepper
    One teaspoon ground cumin

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Yesterday morning hunt was a bust and the heat was miserable so I'm spending today smoking a venison roast. Have removed all the fat & silverskin, soaked overnight in cranberry juice and put on a spicy rub from Rudy's BBQ down in Texas. Gonna smoke to 165 degrees internal temp...shouldn't take too long as it's a small roast. This will my first attempt to smoke venison so fingers crossed for a tasty supper!

MD Shooters,
    This roast was a bit of an experiment. Normally the wife cooks venison roasts in the crockpot along with potatoes and carrots. That turns out great but I wanted to see what I could do with the smoker. I started with a roast that weighted 2 lbs 5 oz before trimming silverskin and fat...prob removed 5 oz because my knife wasn't sharp enough to get just the silverskin.

Once all of that was removed, I applied the rub and then wrapped with bacon. Smoked at about 225 degrees cooking temp until meat temp reached 145 degrees (decided to pull it at a lower temp to ensure a juicy result). Took about 3 hours to smoke the 2 lb roast. Then I wrapped it in a double layer of foil, wrapped in a towel, and let the meat rest for 15 min.

Suffice to say it worked...the texture/moisture of the meat was on par with restaurant-grade prime rib! Love me some smoked venison!!!

One word to describe that piece of venison.......... Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks absolutely amazing!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom