• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    J&G Sales has Chinese type 56 SKS carbines and Widener's has the Yugo type 59 carbines. Please advise on the technical differences of these two types. Is the 56 an original military version? Thank you.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I"ll reply to the first part of this and let someone else address the Yugos.

The Chinese type 56 is indeed an original military version, and most of the recent lot are very early Chinese. Many of them were true Sino-Soviets. If you are looking for a pretty stock, the Chinese rifles currently being sold are NOT what you want to get. But if you are looking for one of the best-made* and collectible, battle-worn SKSs, these are an excellent choice. These were among the earliest SKS rifles built in China. They were apparently declared surplus by the Chinese a few years later, and were sold to fellow communist Albania. There the rifles were heavily used for years, then stored. It is because these were in Albania long enough to be declared Albanian by the BATFE, rather than Chinese, that we are able to get the complete and (usually) original Chinese military rifles brought into the country.

[* All machined, rather than stamped, parts; heavy chrome-lined barrels; made with Russia's Tula arsenal machinery in China's Jianshe arsenal ... some under Russian supervision, or even by the Russian techs who were teaching the Chinese.]

I haven't been in Big Dog Outfitters (King George,VA) in a few days, but the last I was in there, they had a few of the Chinese SKSs in their racks. It would be worth it to me to drive a couple of hours to see if there is something you'd like to take home with you, v. taking pot luck on ordering online. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with ordering online, but in a shop you can decide if you want it, or not. They are an IP here, so you can find their contact info in the Industry Partners area.

BDO probably won't quote you a rice over the phone, but they will tell you if they have any in stock, how many, etc.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Ill handle the second..

Widener's and their Yugo "type 59" carbines:
    Stay the F Away from them! Those are not "M59's" those are bastardized M59/66's that were torn down, original marking scrubbed and reblued with new serial numbers. There is ZERO collector value to them. I truly feel bad for anyone that buys one of them as they were falsely advertised by Wideners... my .02

Disclaimer: They are C&R eligibile and will prolly shoot fine, but they are a put together parts gun. I personally value them as a shooter at under $200. I would get any chinese, ESP the early ones over those new "type 59's"

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I was hoping that Sled would address the Yugos. You got some good info there! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is pretty typical of what the latest batch of Chinese SKSs look like, still packed in cosmoline. When J&G sales says not to expect a cleaning rod, that makes me wonder if perhaps they got the culled-out ones at a lower price from the wholesaler. If BDO has any left, it would be worth it to look at some before you buy.

Attachments

• S_S_A_Left_Side.jpg
      S_S_A_Left_Side.jpg
      42.7 KB · Views: 475

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Gotta tell it like it is....

I consider the Maryland C&R section a family and I would like to look out for others on here. Widener's is doing someting shady with those rifles.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've got Russian and early Chinese. They are rugged as hell. I'll take either of those ten ways to Sunday compared to any Yugo variant, even if the Chinese ones aren't pretty. Buy an early Chinese from Classic Firearms. They are the real deal and Classic Firearms will not eff you over.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    the main physical difference in my mind was the chrome-lined barrels of the Chinese SKS vs no chrome in the Yugos. while I do clean my guns after use, I'd rather have that additional piece of mind knowing the chrome-lined barrel has a better chance against pitting and rust from using corrosive ammo. some say chrome hurts your accuracy, but any gun is going to shoot better than I can deliver at this point.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I got two Chinese from classic. One is a shooter. Here are my first 5 aimed shots at 37-40 yds off my elbow. I always run some ammo through to check things out before putting my face near it.

With very little adjustment I was hitting clays at 55 or so yds. Shoots much better than I can for a battle worn rifle.

Attachments

• image-3206067597.jpg
      image-3206067597.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 438

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Id go with the Type 56 at Classic. Nothing against J&G but classic has been good to me with everything Ive ordered so far and Im very very happy with the two sino-albanian SKSs I bought from them. Id take either of them over my next to new 1980 Norinco. Going to BDO might be the best bet though, you get to handle what you are buying and do your own "hand select"

Sirex