• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atomevolution

Mar 29, 2014
    I should also say I've played the heck out of SLV and GLD as ETFs and made some decent money.

I bailed way to early on GLD, in hindsight, but it was a good haul.

I'm stacking 10 shares of SLV every week no matter what asong as it's under 20.00
    Rock on! ETFs are a great way to get on the gold and silver rush without having to own the material.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Rock on! ETFs are a great way to get on the gold and silver rush without having to own the material.
    I like physical for "just in case" and because it's fun to look at, but I also like to trade the paper.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I am not a gold or silver collector even though I do collect old coins. Its not for if things collapse though. I read stories about other countries that had their Government collapse suddenly. No money or precious metals has any value. Only things like food, necessities , alcohol, guns and ammo and medical supplies are worth trading or barter in that situation.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I like physical for "just in case" and because it's fun to look at, but I also like to trade the paper.
    Start adding some "junk silver" to your prepping stores. People recognize silver coinage and it will have value that will be easy to spend. Bars, ingots, tokens, etc. have a much smaller audience and in hard times may require assaying for acceptance.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I am not a gold or silver collector even though I do collect old coins. Its not for if things collapse though. I read stories about other countries that had their Government collapse suddenly. No money or precious metals has any value. Only things like food, necessities , alcohol, guns and ammo and medical supplies are worth trading or barter in that situation.

I just traded ALL my numismatics for bullion. The buyer is going to put it all in an auction. I can let you know when it goes live if you are interested.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have always thought when SHTF,, gold coins would be the "go to" currency. Now I think no one will want/use gold.
    In total seriousness,, I think boxes of common calibers will be in HIGH demand,, way more valuable than silver or gold.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I have always thought when SHTF,, gold coins would be the "go to" currency. Now I think no one will want/use gold.
    In total seriousness,, I think boxes of common calibers will be in HIGH demand,, way more valuable than silver or gold.

The thing is that having a little bit of everything may be the best option. Ammo, is going to be useful and tradable, but IMO medicine and pharmaceuticals, take up a lot less space and weight, and may be worth more in a crisis situation.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I'd take physical gold over paper if I was concerned about needing valuable exchange items. Also it would be useful in aiding extraction from a difficult situation. Paper not so much.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    The thing is that having a little bit of everything may be the best option. Ammo, is going to be useful and tradable, but IMO medicine and pharmaceuticals, take up a lot less space and weight, and may be worth more in a crisis situation.
    I like and follow the "bit of everything" strategy.

A potential problem I see with stockpiling medicine and pharmaceuticals is that a lot of that stuff might have a shelf life. Probably could extend it by packing it in mylar with O2 absorbers, but once you open the bag the clock starts ticking.

So I can see storing some for you and yours, but storing them for trade goods might present some logistical challenges.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I'd take physical gold over paper if I was concerned about needing valuable exchange items. Also it would be useful in aiding extraction from a difficult situation. Paper not so much.
    Luddites only understand paper.

Gold is only worth something when the "situation" improves, if it improves. A few months into a disaster and what can you do with it?

Lead can get you anything.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I like and follow the "bit of everything" strategy.

A potential problem I see with stockpiling medicine and pharmaceuticals is that a lot of that stuff might have a shelf life. Probably could extend it by packing it in mylar with O2 absorbers, but once you open the bag the clock starts ticking.

So I can see storing some for you and yours, but storing them for trade goods might present some logistical challenges.
    The LBE (little bit of everything) strategy requires one to rotate their stock. This is especially for food and medicinines.

As gold and silver doesn't need rotated, it does need maintenance to prevent oxidation, such as tarnishing.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland

Gold is only worth something when the "situation" improves, if it improves. A few months into a disaster and what can you do with it?

I'd think it also has value as the situation deteriorates. Since spot is spot, if your currency is worthless (previously Zimbabwe, currently Venezuela, soon to be us) but you still have a "society" gold and silver should be able to buy you things. If the person you are trading with has a way to use it or convert to other fiat with value that they can use (a connection to the outside world so to speak) you might even buy at reasonable prices.

During the Mad Max phase which could be the first phase if we have an EMP or nuclear war, yes, it goes from valuable to a chunk of metal (kilo of silver in a sock has value though too) and you have to wait until there's some semblance of society where people can look past immediate value (bullet, food, medicine, shelter).

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Agreed.
    I can't imagine a scenario where I'd accept gold or silver in exchange for something I have. If we are in a SHTF situation I want something I can use in exchange.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD

Lead, did someone say lead? Look in the classifieds shortly. I’ll have some soft and hard lead for sale.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    In the current economy I see paper money losing value so instead of banking cash I'm putting it to gold and silver to preserve wealth , I keep a supply of cash but as much as I once did , Now with a Army of IRS agents coming I want to keep as much financial transactions off the books as possible so I buy my gold and silver in person at coin shops , Gun shows always have someone selling metals and if they want my name and address for their records I simply say no thanks and spend my cash elsewhere .

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    I should also say I've played the heck out of SLV and GLD as ETFs and made some decent money.

I bailed way to early on GLD, in hindsight, but it was a good haul.

I'm stacking 10 shares of SLV every week no matter what asong as it's under 20.00
    As far as silver/gold flips
    I can sell off a stock in a nano second and react to market forces.

$11,000 into a pile of metal? That is a major pile of cash locked into something that 99.9% of the people on the planet have no established value system for and for which there is no readily available market.

Again, I like metals, but $11,000 at a time for anyone that I know leaves me questioning if more traditional means of wealth preservation are taken care of first. If so, party on.
    My net worth is pretty high despite the current economic buggery, and we have no debt other than a small mortgage and I can't imagine a one-time drop of $11k into metals.

Again, I like shiny stuff.
    After posting, I found a few online dealers that referred to "Monster Boxes". I doubt, I purchase the box full. I dont have the type FU money you described either. I know its not push button elec. fast flip, but also never had a problem, walking into a rep. dealer or not so reputable. Flipping for somewhere near current spot prices. Getting quick cash, and every-time at a profit. Plan to keep accruing on a smaller scale but accrue I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom