Sighted in new Mueller APV, question about it...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    So...

• I'm a newbie
    • I'm RH, left eye dominant
    • I've chosen to put a cheek pad on my RH Savage Mk II to bring my right eye up to the scope (left eye closed)
    • I've got a full sunshade on the Mueller APV scope

The eye relief is right on, and I'm shooting 2.5" groups at 50 yards, but a few things feel squirrelly:

1. I have to get my head cocked to the right just so, so I can get a clear picture with my right eye. If I move my head what feels like 1/4 inch one way or another, I lose my picture.
    2. When I sighted in, I clicked up and to the right approx. 25 clicks, both ways. That seemed like a lot to me.
    3. I didn't fool with the eyepiece focusing -- I wear glasses and it seemed focused right out of the box.

Thoughts on all this?

Thanks,
    -S.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Did you level the scope with the rifle when you installed it? If the rings are not installed just right you may have to redo it, also how much distance do you have between the sun shade bell and the rifle? You want to get as close as you can without touching.

I believe I remembered you have a Savage Mark II, are you shooting off hand or bench rested? Bench rested, 2.5 inches seems big to me. Make sure you have the "exact" same sight picture everytime and no black/shade around it.

as for the higher magnification levels on the Mueller, yes, your eye has to be just right behind the scope, right distance and right position, everytime. You want the sight picture be exactly the same everytime, everything has to be filled out, no black or shadows visible around it.

If you have black around it you are basically not looking straight through the scope, could be at angle for example and that would place your point of aim off target. If you now correct your rifle to get the cross hair on target you rifle is now aiming off target.

At 50 yds, bench rested you should be able with a Mark II to get three shots not necessarily completely covered with a dime but the majority of it or at least should be able to touch all three shots with a dime.

My feeling is that your are not setup exactly the same behind the scope for every shot which is of course one of the difficulties with bolt action rifles.

Now there are much better shooters on this board than I am and I may be completely wrong with what you described, just my observation.

takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Here's the photo of the scope mounted: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=76405

- I was shooting off a lead sled (I have a slug gun as well)

- the sunshade is so close to the rifle that I can't go from 0 to 200 on the objective w/o taking the flip cap off and reorienting it

- I looked at 2.5" on a ruler and that's far worse than I was actually shooting: I can get a gold dollar coin to cover 3 shots (on 3 different targets)

- judging from what you said, I'm setting up correctly and getting the same sight picture every time -- I'm just having to re-adjust the rest and aim point b/t shots b/c I've knocked it out of place when cycling the bolt

This makes me feel a bit better. Just need a lot more practice, sounds like.

-S.

Did you level the scope with the rifle when you installed it? If the rings are not installed just right you may have to redo it, also how much distance do you have between the sun shade bell and the rifle? You want to get as close as you can without touching.

I believe I remembered you have a Savage Mark II, are you shooting off hand or bench rested? Bench rested, 2.5 inches seems big to me. Make sure you have the "exact" same sight picture everytime and no black/shade around it.

as for the higher magnification levels on the Mueller, yes, your eye has to be just right behind the scope, right distance and right position, everytime. You want the sight picture be exactly the same everytime, everything has to be filled out, no black or shadows visible around it.

If you have black around it you are basically not looking straight through the scope, could be at angle for example and that would place your point of aim off target. If you now correct your rifle to get the cross hair on target you rifle is now aiming off target.

At 50 yds, bench rested you should be able with a Mark II to get three shots not necessarily completely covered with a dime but the majority of it or at least should be able to touch all three shots with a dime.

My feeling is that your are not setup exactly the same behind the scope for every shot which is of course one of the difficulties with bolt action rifles.

Now there are much better shooters on this board than I am and I may be completely wrong with what you described, just my observation.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wouldn't hurt to try shooting left-handed. i have right-handed bolt guns (and AR's etc) and shoot them all left-handed (like you, left eye dominant). whatever feels more comfy will allow you to maintain or return to the correct position.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    now hang on for a minute. you live in DC? didn't think you folks were even allowed to write about guns, much less have or shoot them??? just kidding of course, i'm sorry for your oppression there.

mdvctry

Follow Me @DukesDefense
    Nov 10, 2011
    wouldn't hurt to try shooting left-handed. i have right-handed bolt guns (and AR's etc) and shoot them all left-handed (like you, left eye dominant). whatever feels more comfy will allow you to maintain or return to the correct position.

+1 I would try and shoot left handed. I'm also RH left eye dominant and found that it was pretty easy to switch to my left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom