• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I was laser boresighting one of my pistols and came up with a question for the brain trust.

If your sights are set for say 15 yards, and you need to shoot a target at 50 yards, do you change your sight alignment or sight picture?

Iron sights, do you move the front sight up into a triangle shape with the rear sight, or do you move the sight picture up keeping the same sight alignment?

Red dot sights, I would assume you need to hold high or low depending on the sighted in range, and target range.

Let us know what people think.

Q

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    50 yards is kind close to alter anything, but for longer ranges, I modify sight alignment by bringing the front sight blade up above the top of the rear sight. You can learn to judge pretty easily. The boys that used to work the Allegheny Sniper Challenge shoot their iron-sighted 1911s out to 250-300 yards and make regular hits on torso-size steel plates using this method.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks E. So, from 15 to 50 yards, you would keep the same sight alignment and sight picture, or same sight alignment but slightly higher sight picture for 50 yds. Basing off of 9mm 115grn.

Q

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Who shoots a pistol at 50 yards?
    Typical 9mm drop at 25 yards on average I think is about 1/2 inch. 50 yards has to be an inch or 1.5? What are you trying to shoot at that distance? A threat doesn't care if you hit them in the throat or the xyphoid process. Aim center mass.

I hope you aren't shooting a red dot for any slow aimed accuracy shooting, because that's not happening.

Coke cans and stuff, enjoy your plinking session and play with holdover. :)

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks Blaster. It was more for target shooting and plinking. As for combat shooting, I don't think the fine motor skills would be there for that type sight alignment and sight picture. Like you said, aim center mass.

Q

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks Blaster. It was more for target shooting and plinking. As for combat shooting, I don't think the fine motor skills would be there for that type sight alignment and sight picture. Like you said, aim center mass.

Q
    The one thing people don't think about or some may not even know, is what hold are your sights? Combat, Center, or 6 O clock. Different manufacturers come off the assembly line differently. I know Sig is a combat hold. I don't know about other makes.
    This is always something fun to figure out when shooting.
    3a6a8f34da77cdba5e830bdcf34ffaab.jpg

Sgt. Psycho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 1, 2009
    Factory Glock sights are also "point of aim, point of impact" (combat sighting) at 10 yards.
    The one thing people don't think about or some may not even know, is what hold are your sights? Combat, Center, or 6 O clock. Different manufacturers come off the assembly line differently. I know Sig is a combat hold. I don't know about other makes.
    This is always something fun to figure out when shooting.
    3a6a8f34da77cdba5e830bdcf34ffaab.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom