• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I was recently contacted by their design department telling me that they read the writeup I did back in 2019 on the Swiss P75 and wanted to purchase a pistol (P75 or like new Browning BDA), spare magazines, and a holster for "testing". Unwilling to sell a P75 because of their rarity in this country, I offered a 99%+ BDA and spare magazines which they gladly accepted. Of course, they wouldn't tell me why they wanted it but the 50th anniversary of the P220 is coming up in 2025. Time will tell.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    But SIG made the BDA , am I missing something ?

But not here, right?

Maybe SIG USA is thinking of bringing something back into production so they want examples they can handle? Just because the parent company once made it doesn't mean SIG USA has any to fondle.

They may want to update/tweak the design before re-release, like the new FN High Power.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Sig Sauer made the Browning BDA in 45 ACP, back in the 70's - 80's if I recall correctly. Beretta also made a 380 ACP BDA for Browning in the same time period. It was a slightly modified Beretta Model 81/84.
    I have one of the Beretta made ones in the nickel finish, that I would consider carrying, as it has a 13-round magazine.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Considering that SIG hasn't changed much about the P220 since its inception, I'd say a facelift/redesign for its 50th anniversary is a distinct possibility. Keep us posted, Combloc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Considering that SIG hasn't changed much about the P220 since its inception, I'd say a facelift/redesign for its 50th anniversary is a distinct possibility. Keep us posted, Combloc.
    Well there was the whole Euro vs USA versions .

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I have two collector quality BDA's in the classifieds here if you want to photos.The 38 super model is extremely rare.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    What would be really interesting , would be the return of the BDM .
    I have a BDM. Interesting pistol, misguided concept. It does have the thinnest grip for a high capacity (15 rounds) magazine that I have ever experienced.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The BDA is an example of the original P220. There were a number of cosmetic and manufacturing differences between it and what most people know as the P220 today. The only real mechanical difference that comes to mind is the magazine catch at the bottom of the grip. Of course, it was German made and had a stamped "humpback" slide. The contouring of the slide and the grasping serrations were significantly different too. In all, I've identified three versions of stamped slide and I call them types 1, 2, and 3. All three are illustrated below. I used a P225 for an example of the Type 3 slide as I didn't have a 220 available at the time but other than length, it's typical of a P220 Type 3 slide.

Type 1 on top with the simplified Type 2 below. Based on my research, the change happened somewhere in the 12,XXX serial number range.

Type 3 slide as seen on a P6 (P225). This is the final form of stamped slide used on all variations of the 22X with production starting somewhere between serial 19205 - 22631 of the P220 range.

Distinctive humps on Types 1 and 2 slides:

I had two BDA's in 9mm, both in what appeared to be unfired condition. I kept the one I did simply because it came with the outer box and is the lower serial number. Shown below at bottom with a P75 above:

If you want to know a little more about the BDA and P75:

Last edited:

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I'd trust Combloc with a secret but I'd brief him that it was a secret. And I'd remind him to wipe off the guns with oil after touching them....as he's more corrosive than egyptian 9mm ammo!!!!

And screw the sigs, I want his stash of P7 pistols.

I'd trust Combloc with a secret but I'd brief him that it was a secret. And I'd remind him to wipe off the guns with oil after touching them....as he's more corrosive than egyptian 9mm ammo!!!!

And screw the sigs, I want his stash of P7 pistols.
    My FIL is a retired NJ cop. He turned down the ability to buy his duty P7 for something like $150-$200 when the department switched over to Glocks in the mid 1990's.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My FIL is a retired NJ cop. He turned down the ability to buy his duty P7 for something like $150-$200 when the department switched over to Glocks in the mid 1990's.
    Ouch. I should have bought every single one that came through my friends shop some years back. Regardless of price or condition. Hindsight is 20/20.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    But not here, right?

Maybe SIG USA is thinking of bringing something back into production so they want examples they can handle? Just because the parent company once made it doesn't mean SIG USA has any to fondle.

They may want to update/tweak the design before re-release, like the new FN High Power.

Sig still makes the p220, and makes them in the US.

The only thing I can think of that is different is the folded slide and heel release mag

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Sig still makes the p220, and makes them in the US.

Right.. but they must be wanting to make a retro version if they wanted an example of a P75. The modern version is irrelevant, they don't need to go to private collectors to find examples of that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom