• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeyPMA

Sep 5, 2012
    Montgomery County
    This may sound stupid but everyone keeps telling me that my P239 .357 can be converted by simply changing the barrel. I get that part. What I am unsure of is will the 40 SW fit in my magazines? My mags actually say sig .357 on them and I've seen online ones that say 40 and others that say both.

Is there really a difference?! I mean its the same cartridge, so it should work, right?

:stupid:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You will need p239 .40 call mags. Don't ask me why because I don't remember. I went through the same thing with mine years ago when I had one.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Why would he need new magazines?

On the 226 you don't .357 is derived from the .40 case

The .357SIG is a necked down .40S&W. Unless SIG is putting a rib in the mag to prevent the rounds from moving forward, the same mag should work.

The 226's and 229's mags will run .40 and .357Sig just fine with either caliber, but this is NOT true with the 239's mag interchangability between those two calibers.

You will need p239 .40 call mags. Don't ask me why because I don't remember. I went through the same thing with mine years ago when I had one.

THIS ^^^^

Oh, and don't forget barrel.:D

MikeyPMA

Sep 5, 2012
    Montgomery County
    So I will go with new mags. I am happy I am not the only one that wasn't sure about this issue.

Although .357 is a cool powerful home defense round, the 40SW is cheaper and also what I shoot from other guns, so I'd rather be able to buy in bulk. HOPEFULLY that will pay back the difference I will be paying in Mags.

I will probably be selling the old mags/barrel after I finish off my .357 supply and get 50 posts... Keep an eye out!

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I will probably be selling the old mags/barrel after I finish off my .357 supply and get 50 posts... Keep an eye out!

I wouldn't do that, dude. Keep the .357 barrel and mags. It's nice to have flexibility and you could always practice with .40 and keep the .357 for HD.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I wouldn't do that, dude. Keep the .357 barrel and mags. It's nice to have flexibility and you could always practice with .40 and keep the .357 for HD.

A legal note. Does it matter if you purchase a pistol as one caliber and resell it as another?

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I have both .357 and .40 barrels along with both type of mags for my P239. If I try to use the .40 mags with .357, they jam and FTF. Sig explained to me that the reason for this is that they are single stack mags (unlike the P226 & P229 double stack mags) and the front of the .357 mags are narrower than the .40 mags to make the .357 rounds feed better. When I look at both of the mags, I can't tell the difference except for the markings but I assume Sig knows what they are talking about when it comes to their own guns.

relco86

Aug 6, 2011
    Moco
    A legal note. Does it matter if you purchase a pistol as one caliber and resell it as another?

Not at all. The only time the barrel even comes into consideration when transferring a handgun is when your buying a brand new one and need a round that has been fired through the gun for federal tracking purposes or whatever they do with it...

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008

Not at all. The only time the barrel even comes into consideration when transferring a handgun is when your buying a brand new one and need a round that has been fired through the gun for federal tracking purposes or whatever they do with it...

Not Fed. MD requires a fired shellcase.
    Program was de-funded years ago so now the cases are thrown in a barrel and stored.
    Just one more thing on the books to make getting a handgun in MD more expensive and difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom