• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Could someone please tell me what's going on with Sig P220 Magazines?

A few days ago I decided I wanted to buy a few extra .45 factory mags (7 or 8 rds, don't care). A quick internet search revealed that current factory mags are $30 - lowest price I can find. Wanting to buy 8 or 9 mags, $30 is too expensive. So I began looking for people selling them on various forums like this one. They do pop up from time to time but if you don't catch the sale in a matter of HOURS you are going to be too late. These things sell like hot cakes. To add insult to injury, somewhere along the line Sig stopped using the German made 'zipperback' mags and switched to some Italian maker (Novak sells them too under their own name). What the hell??! $30 for some Mec Gar clone. I want quality mags!

So what is going on?? The P220 is practically ubiquitous, still in production, and has been around for 30+ years. You would thing 220 mags would be all over the place and cheap (I know they are metal and not plastic, but common). Why is it so hard to find P220 mags?

By the way, anyone selling any? I'm buyin' :innocent0

Last edited:

tundramuscle03

Beer Jockey
    Mar 19, 2007
    Dundalk Noob
    I still have the 2 mags that came with my 220 Dark Elite and I think $30 is probably the best your gonna find...I look every once in awhile and rarely ever see any listed for sale....good luck

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Last time I needed one I got it from Dan @ Gun Connection. He had the real ones in stock but that was last year. Whatever you do, don't buy the Pro Mags. I bought one of those shortly after I bought the gun and it is the biggest POS I have ever seen. I ran two magazines through the gun and had two FTF's.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    I have never seen what I considered an attractive price on Sig factory mags. They are just not cheap. I picked up a few extra directly from Sig a couple of years ago when they had a promotion going on and got them for 15.00 each but that was luck I've never found a way to duplicate. it sucks.

good luck!

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Mec Gar makes sig factory mags....
    Not the old german dove tails... Zippers are/look different than dove tail.

I'd take Mec Gar anyday of the week.
    Scoop them up because Sig just changed to check mate to make their mags
    And what I've heard they are crap quality

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    In my search for magazines across several gun forums I have read different user accounts of the ACT-MAG magazines and they are pretty mixed. You'll get one or two folks saying how bad they are (lips cracking) and then someone will chime in with flawless performance over several years/ I think it boils down to how and how much you use them (obviously) and I get the impression they (ACT-MAG) are fine for the range but the jusry is still out on hard field use.
    The link you sent for them is one I had not seen before so thank you. I may buy one or two to try them out. Novak uses these for their in-house stamped P220 magazines.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    In my search for magazines across several gun forums I have read different user accounts of the ACT-MAG magazines and they are pretty mixed. You'll get one or two folks saying how bad they are (lips cracking) and then someone will chime in with flawless performance over several years/ I think it boils down to how and how much you use them (obviously) and I get the impression they (ACT-MAG) are fine for the range but the jusry is still out on hard field use.
    The link you sent for them is one I had not seen before so thank you. I may buy one or two to try them out. Novak uses these for their in-house stamped P220 magazines.

I have a few factory sig mags that keep loaded for HD. but so far testing the act mags they work for me. If you ever want to meet up at the range you're welcome to try mine in your 220. I don't clean or baby them I abuse them to see what they can take. I also wouldn't mind seeing how they preform in someone else's gun.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    I have a few factory sig mags that keep loaded for HD. but so far testing the act mags they work for me. If you ever want to meet up at the range you're welcome to try mine in your 220. I don't clean or baby them I abuse them to see what they can take. I also wouldn't mind seeing how they preform in someone else's gun.

Absolutely, I'll PM you.

I PM'd you back

Returned.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Several of you have pointed me in the direction of Greg Cote. In tomorrow's mail should be arriving 5 police trade in 8-rd mags that I ordered from him yesterday. First, thank you everyone - I appreciate the assist!:patriot:

Greg was a pleasure to work with!

Secondly, I still think $19.95 is too high for a P220 magazine. Yes, I bought them at this price becuase it was the best around, but it still kills me that the price on a 7/8 rd single stack steel mag is so high considering this pistol has been around for 30 years and is/was used by many LEOs - i.e. the market should be saturated with these magazines. The demand for them should not exceed the supply of them given these conditions and thus their price should not be so high. To me $10-15 is reasonable - for a NEW one!

I don't pretend to understand the economics of the gun industry or the firearm accessory market, but this just doesn't pass the sniff test for me - especially in a depressed economy! This is not meant to whine, just to express my sentiment out loud.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Yet you partake in the high prices as well based on your trade offer to me ????
    Hummmmmm it can't work one way...;)

Congrats on finding ur mags

I'm just yankin your chain... I'd try to get every penny in a trade too! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom