• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Since my heavy firearms use has been pretty much limited with the Sig P229 .357, this is more like a basic 1911 report:)

Picked up my Sig TTT, removed the wood grips and put on the more aggressive VZ recon grips before even leaving the store ( thanks Tom at 2A ).

The sights are the single dot night site front site post and the rear is the small horizontal line. No 3 dot configuration. This is fine by me since most of my shooting is point shooting. I have always found the time trying to line the dots up could be time sending ammo down range. Coming up from a lowered position to pressing out, the site is fast on target for me. Almost natural. This is a point of aim impact and not a 6 o clock hold. I.e...what the front sight covers and not what is sitting on top of it, is gonna get the treatment :)

Being adjustable sight, and being a guy, I had to screw around with it right out of the box for no good reason. The first target I shot was approx 100 rounds. Tinkering at the 7 and 15 dialing the already dialed in sights, in :)

I had 1 100 round box of Winchester white box 230 ball and 1 100 federal value pack 230 as well. All of the federal fed just fine and I had one fail to feed with the Winchester. The Winchester casings were noticeably thicker and this is what I attest to it getting caught on the throat.

Not being a 1911 freak yet, I think I know what all the fuss is with getting the triggers "done". There is a a little "play" in the trigger, left and right and I would like to get that tightened up. The trigger broke well but there were times I expected it to go off and didn't until I pressed a wee bit more. I think I would like that lightened up as also. All in all, I was able to reset the trigger well and get back on sight pretty quick and accurate with this beauty.
    The slow, fat round and the weight of the pistol made this a pleasure to shoot compared to the 229 .357 beating me up all these years.

The center mass shots where 7,15 & 25 yds.
    The small top right groups were slow fire attempting two separate groups at 7yds.
    The "throat " shots were rapid fire 8 round rhythm drills at 7yds
    And the top left group were controlled pairs at 7yds and a few shots at 15.

a693689b-4627-52e4.jpg

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Nicely done sir!

Does your trigger have an overtravel screw? If so, they usually come adjusted from the factory, but I've seen some that are almost to the point of falling out at the gun shop... most likely from all the finger banging they get. Anyways, check to see if it is adjusted properly - it might help with this:

The trigger broke well but there were times I expected it to go off and didn't until I pressed a wee bit more.

DISCLAIMER - I'm not a gunsmith, so take my advice FWIW.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Nice shooting Blaster, but I expect that from a fella with your training ;)

The FTF can be related to a few things. Winchester can be fatter like you noticed ususally that is related to the Mouth of the Barrel. Other areas to look at is the rims depth and thickness that can vary on Winchester Brass too, so can the bevel at the rear of the round where the rim is. This can cause issues with the extractor and wether it not it will catch on the Firing Pin Hole (Burr).

As far as Trigger work, SIG may offer something but I dont know. If they dont I HIGHLY suggest you be careful on who you chose to get inside that gun. I see so many 1911's that were hacked by "Smiths". A GOOD Smith can do a trigger job and leave the host weapon UNMODIFIED so if the gun requires Warranty Service from SIG you can remove the Upgraded FCG/Trigger, put the Factory Parts back in and send it in for Service.

The Trigger itself may always have some side to side play if the Frame was machines on the looser side. There are tricks to fix this but they are not for the Home Smith. Aftermarket Triggers do require fitting but usualy it only tightens up/down play.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Nice shooting. I love the colors on that 1911.

Thanks Indy. I figured since this is gonna be a tool and not a statue, no sense leaving the Purdy wood grips on it to get beat up.

I'm sure I'll have someone take a peek at it Chad ;) not that I'm a match target shooter, tightening it up will keep my mind on other things when I slow fire.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    FWIW - My .45's tend to group better with 185gr rounds.

For the first trip out with that gun, that's plenty fine shooting IMO.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Congrats on that beautiful gun. Question, on the throat shots. Was it just finding another place on the target to poke holes or is it just regular SOP? If it was taught to you, what were the reasons to go with that over a head shot or more COM hits? It seems like a great place to hit, since most vests wouldn't cover it, there's spine and lots of big arteries and veins there. It's also not covered by skull, which could cause deflection. Also, if your technique takes a crap from adrenaline, it seems running shots high would be a nice headshot, while pushing them low would also be nice and effective. I'm just asking since you've got much more training than me and I hadn't seen too many places pushing the throat as a primary or secondary target. Seems to make sense though.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Congrats on that beautiful gun. Question, on the throat shots. Was it just finding another place on the target to poke holes or is it just regular SOP? If it was taught to you, what were the reasons to go with that over a head shot or more COM hits? It seems like a great place to hit, since most vests wouldn't cover it, there's spine and lots of big arteries and veins there. It's also not covered by skull, which could cause deflection. Also, if your technique takes a crap from adrenaline, it seems running shots high would be a nice headshot, while pushing them low would also be nice and effective. I'm just asking since you've got much more training than me and I hadn't seen too many places pushing the throat as a primary or secondary target. Seems to make sense though.
    I like to rhythm drill all over the mass. I am going to take shots from basically two places, bent elbow from the holster and unzip immediately as I am coming out and up to COM. Providing we are both standing up, facing each other. I will be high ready at that point.
    Another most likely scenario is me standing, shooting down towards the head,neck and high torso. That "throat Area". The suspect will be seated and the only target presented is just that area. I will be advancing forward closing the gap as to not hit anyone next to them. I will be shooting from a right angle and over the person in front of the bad guy, shoulder. Hopefully that person in front stays still.
    My head shots are going to be for the hostage stance. Bad guy behind good guy, knife around the neck/gun to the head.

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    I've got about 500 through my Sig 1911 XO now and have a similar pleasant range experience. No FTF or FTE so far. These are great guns right out of the box, still need to grab some VZ grips though.

Thanks for the report!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom