• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    My first gun was a Mossberg 500a I bought locally a few years back. It was used and came with a Tac Star side saddle. This gun has really just been sitting around. I'd like to get it checked out, get it outfitted the way I want, and start running it.

I've been searching everywhere for info on side saddles. A search on this forum turned up nothing, but other forums/websites have left me undecided. The only reason I would NOT want one is because of reliability concerns. You experienced shotgunners...or people that have run courses, etc, how do you feel about side saddles and their effect on reliability? Any particular brands?

As a secondary question, I don't have a particularly good way of mounting a light. It's an 18.5 inch barrel and a 5+1 so I don't have a lot of real estate, and I don't want to shell out for a surefire forend. I bought this mount from some small company years ago (dont remember the name.) It has left some scarring on the mag tube (don't care) but how likely is it that a clamp directly on the mag tube will bind the spring, etc?

IMAG0132.jpg

Thx for the help. I'll be taking this to Chad to get it checked out/replace the mag spring (I can't get the stupid mag tube off) and I'd like to get it as squared away as possible before I take it in.

Dospetz

Feb 4, 2012
    Jessup, MD
    I can't speak to a Mossberg, but I have an 8 round side saddle on my Benelli M4 and had one on the M1014 I carried in Iraq. Both came from Mesa Tactical and replaced the picatiny rail at the top. I like the side saddle as an efficient means of carrying more ammunition and haven't had any problems with them.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I have a Tacstar side saddle and it hasn't given me any issues. I've been shooting mostly slugs. The only reason I'm thinking of taking it off is the weight it adds when it's loaded.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
      IMG_0027.jpg
      36.8 KB · Views: 352

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Personally I prefer a buttcuff on the stock as the sidesaddle adds weight and bulk in the middle.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Light brackets

www.cdmgear.com

I have a 4 shot Tacstar on my 870 instead of 6 shot to keep the weight down. Don't over tighten the mountng screws as it will bind the receiver. I used a dab of blue loctite too.

Mine has been 100% reliable.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have one on my 11-87 loaded up with buckshot. It keeps the ammo handy if I ever have to use it without having to load up the shotgun. I don't remember who made mine.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    I don't really see the point of a side saddle. In a tactical situation it's much quicker to pull a reload from a belt caddy. Plus on a semi you can induce malfunctions by having a side saddle if you torque it down too hard and bend or pinch the receiver.

If you're hunting just get a belt bag from Walmart for cheap and call it a day.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I don't really see the point of a side saddle. In a tactical situation it's much quicker to pull a reload from a belt caddy. Plus on a semi you can induce malfunctions by having a side saddle if you torque it down too hard and bend or pinch the receiver.

If you're hunting just get a belt bag from Walmart for cheap and call it a day.

Good points, but personally, the shotgun I use for home defense I have a side saddle on and a butt cuff (similar to the previous pictured). In a pinch, buck naked in the middle of the night, I just want to be able to grab my shotgun and not have to worry about filling pockets or strapping on a belt.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    Good points, but personally, the shotgun I use for home defense I have a side saddle on and a butt cuff (similar to the previous pictured). In a pinch, buck naked in the middle of the night, I just want to be able to grab my shotgun and not have to worry about filling pockets or strapping on a belt.

I knew someone was going to say that but I will say this, if you want more than 8-ish rounds then a shotgun is not a good choice for home defense. As counter intuitive as it might seem the 5.56 round is actually less likely to penetrate walls than buckshot so you'd be better off with an AR rocking a 30 round mag.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I knew someone was going to say that but I will say this, if you want more than 8-ish rounds then a shotgun is not a good choice for home defense. As counter intuitive as it might seem the 5.56 round is actually less likely to penetrate walls than buckshot so you'd be better off with an AR rocking a 30 round mag.

Agreed. That is why I have an AR hanging in the closet right over the shotgun. But if I want a shotgun, everything previously mentioned applies. If you are shooting in a competition it is probably much easier to pull from a belt or pockets that you had ample time to fill up and strap on before you got started. If it's an emergency, it is what it is.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    clandestine said:
    I prefer the Velcro and Elastic side saddles. It allows someone to reload the side saddle from a vest or belt carrier.

+1. I keep 5 in an elastic butt saddle on formerly my 500A but it's now on my new 590. I've had that same elastic one for about 10 years. I've also got 25 in a belt next to the gun that works well over the shoulder.

Gaius Baltar

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 7, 2010
    i have NEVER had a side saddle on my shotguns or those "tactial slings" that hold shells. the weight doesn't feel right.

if you need to shoot >6 shots rapidly, then a shotgun is not my first choice. another vote for elastic butt saddle, and a couple of shells in your pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom