• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The one justiw has pictured is cocobolo. I have two of his, both with black palm scales, and bought one for my father. One of mine (and my father's) are the same blade profile as pictured in the same AEB-L steel. Anyone wanting a razorblade for the kitchen, these are it.
    That's beautiful! Very nice job. What wood did you use for the handle scales?

JoeR
    This is a custom blade he did for me. It's a middle ground between carving and boning knife and so far has been excellent. It's a good one-knife for dinner making but I'm looking forward to putting it to use processing deer.

1lP4HNo.jpeg

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Over the last several years, I've gotten into knifemaking. I haven't yet delved into the forging of blades yet, instead buying knife blades, then making handles to create something individualized.

My son's best friend's wedding is coming up in October. For a wedding shower present, I bought an 8" damascus chef's knife blade, along with a 3.5" paring knife.

For both knives, I used scraps of Brazilian Rosewood given to me by a cabinet-maker friend. Below are pics with an enlargement of the handle. The swirl in the grain is just stunning. After sanding to 400 grit, I applied 3 coats of Truoil, followed by buffing with white rouge. The handle is as smooth and shiny as glass.

View attachment 376848

View attachment 376849

I haven’t checked into this thread for a while. That knife looks really nice. What a great gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I haven’t checked into this thread for a while. That knife looks really nice. What a great gift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks so much! I'm thinking that this might become "a thing". A niece who loves to cook is also getting married in October. She would appreciate a nice chef's knife. I've always felt a present which incorporates someone's thought and effort is much nicer than just throwing some $$ at them. That said, dollars are fungible, giving them the ability buy what they really want, rather than what I THINK they want.

JoeR

Sent from my SM-T547U using Tapatalk

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Thanks so much! I'm thinking that this might become "a thing". A niece who loves to cook is also getting married in October. She would appreciate a nice chef's knife. I've always felt a present which incorporates someone's thought and effort is much nicer than just throwing some $$ at them. That said, dollars are fungible, giving them the ability buy what they really want, rather than what I THINK they want.

JoeR

Sent from my SM-T547U using Tapatalk

I think I posted a few years ago that I made a chef’s knife for my son. It was fun but took quite a bit of time. I purchased a steel blank which I cut and ground on a 2x72 belt sander that I made from a kit. Then I sent it off to some place in texas to be hardened. It was a lot of work. In the end the mistake I made was starting with steel that was way too thick. If I were to do it again I would use a 1/8” or maybe 3/32” steel blank for a chef’s knife.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Anyone who watches this thread

What would be a decent quality average priced OTF automatic for my old man?
    Define average price. Microtech are the only OTF I ever see that people are actually happy with.

justiw

Jan 26, 2012
    I think I posted a few years ago that I made a chef’s knife for my son. It was fun but took quite a bit of time. I purchased a steel blank which I cut and ground on a 2x72 belt sander that I made from a kit. Then I sent it off to some place in texas to be hardened. It was a lot of work. In the end the mistake I made was starting with steel that was way too thick. If I were to do it again I would use a 1/8” or maybe 3/32” steel blank for a chef’s knife.
    Thin kitchen knives are the best! 0.063 in (1/16 in) is great for meats and veggies. I have heard of some going down to 0.04 in on paring knives and love them. Geometry makes a huge difference in cutting feel/effort and thin always wins. Thick stuff is only needed where its necessary like boning, and hard use campers/choppers. There is tons of bar stock in any alloy or thickness you can imagine nowadays.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Just picked this up from an estate...Randall #1 with sawtooth spine and uncommon black sheath rather than the standard brown...
    View attachment 379535
    That’s a beauty. I’v recently gotten the Randall but. Found a guy who sells all kinds of knives that’s selling his deceased buddy’s RKS club knives for his widow. Picked up two with 8” blades and top edge sharp as well as a combat companion. Want the rest. Good thing is they don’t move fast so there’s time.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Ahhh...yes, I remember that thread now that you mention it. I've been using a Jet 2x42 belt grinder, but have been thinking about upgrading to a 2x72 model. I just went back and found that old thread. You son received a beautiful Christmas present that year. Hopefully he'll cherish it forever.

Were you pleased with the kit? Any lessons learned? Like you, I've had sticker shock when I've checked out the cost of a motor and VFD combination. How did the treadmill motor and controller work out?

JoeR

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Ahhh...yes, I remember that thread now that you mention it. I've been using a Jet 2x42 belt grinder, but have been thinking about upgrading to a 2x72 model. I just went back and found that old thread. You son received a beautiful Christmas present that year. Hopefully he'll cherish it forever.

Were you pleased with the kit? Any lessons learned? Like you, I've had sticker shock when I've checked out the cost of a motor and VFD combination. How did the treadmill motor and controller work out?

JoeR

my treadmill motor was 1.5hp. It’s a little under powered if I really lean into the belt. I would recommend finding a used or free 2+hp treadmil. Look for an older one with a rotating dial for the speed control, because it will be easier to hack it and retrofit it as a belt driver. If you do find one with a digital control, you can still make it work, but you may have to really have some electronics skills to reverse engineer the digital control panel to find out what voltages or signals it feeds to the motor Controller.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    These guys have a lot of different models. Not sure how they compare to others mentioned here in price, just read an article on them somewhere that was very favorable.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Distant cousins
    Jay Hendrickson
    and
    Microtech

Attachments

• E556DB38-97A9-4991-B440-016F87C4A231.jpeg